Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Doctor Who: the 13th Doctor is Jodie Whittaker

If you don't want to read the whole article, the upshot is they cast a woman to play the 13th Doctor.

Interesting to see how this plays out. A lot of people are going to lose their shit. The butthurt will be epic. Me, I expected them to play it safe and go with a man a usual but I don't care so long a she does a good job.

One prediction I made came true, though. Everyone was predicting these big names like Idris Elba or Tilda Swinton. Meanwhile my prediction was that white, black, brown, male or female, it would be someone most of us have never heard of. No reason a big name movie star is going to take the pay cut to play The Doctor
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 pm

I have never watched Doctor Who, only few short clips people posted, and not enough of those to know for sure that it sucks (unlike for example Seinfeld).

I strongly suspect that it sucks, but I have no real evidence only intuition.

But I have observed fans (on the internet only), and I confidently predict that any and all future Doctors will provoke epic (internet) butthurt. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:08 pm

After Tom Baker it was all downhill.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:18 pm

There is wailing and gnashing of teeth.

SarcasticRover‏ @SarcasticRover

LOL. This show had subterranean dinosaur people, but a woman in charge is too far-fetched for these babies…
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Yep already seeing it

Apparently, saying "we should probably see how she does, ya know, has actually filmed some footage, before saying she ruined the show" is "White knighting"
Spoiler:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Was there ever an animated cartoon version?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:43 pm

kinda.

Some episodes are "lost", with no existing copies. There have been animations made of those episodes

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... ck-to-life
Spoiler:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:50 pm

But nothing taking liberties like that wretched Star Trek Saturday morning thing?

About time there was one then. And draw the doctor looking nothing in particular like any of the "real" ones.

MOAR BUTTHURT PLEEZ! :cowbell:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Is whoever animated Disney's Alice in Wonderland still around?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:But nothing taking liberties like that wretched Star Trek Saturday morning thing?

About time there was one then. And draw the doctor looking nothing in particular like any of the "real" ones.

MOAR BUTTHURT PLEEZ! :cowbell:

[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:44 pm

The series jumped the shark when Tom Baker faced a growing robot [Of Doom.--Ed.].

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 pm

In fairness, in some ways Dr. Who jumped the shark when it was first story boarded.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I enjoy the hell out of the show. Still do
Spoiler:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:18 pm

This seems like manufactured outrage.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Grammatron wrote:This seems like manufactured outrage.
I am seeing a ton of it on various fan groups I belong to. So no
Spoiler:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
My bad, I did not elaborate so I can see why I was misunderstood.

The people are real, the responses are real. But there's no real outrage. There are no significant movements who give a shit of any kind. It seems that all it takes is for one person/asshole to voice their opinion and this snowballs into some absurd notion of significance.

Approximately 110 million of people watch Dr Who, you can find any opinion in those numbers you want if you look for it.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Eric Idle said it best during one of the many Somethingeth Anniversary Documentaries for Monty Python: that the drive of fans to want another show or performance was nothing more then fans clutching at their youth.

New actors may play a character, but they have to all fit the expectation. Changing the elements of a character changes the reality in a way. There will always be "comparisons." People who saw Connery as Bond could not accept Moore. Unfortunately, in the "drive to go to the past," humans cannot satisfy the requirement of remaining "forever young." So long as the "New" "fits" their expectations, old fans will mutter and new fans will take hold. Producers hope that enough "good" replacements take hold to help everyone forget the George Lazenbys.

Make Bond black? Make him American? Make him female? Make him anything else will thwart those expectations just as if you make Batman Chinese and Wonder Woman a transitioning Canadian. To be fair, there are not a lot, if any, "Classic Female Characters." I am having a difficult time thinking of one. For Brits and other fans it may be like recasting Edwina, Patsy, and Saffy with younger actresses to "reboot" Absolutely Fabulous--see how well the 'murican Rip-Off did--though the whole point of AbFab was two aging women failing miserably at clutching at their youth.

The odd thing about Dr. Who was he was suppose to change. However, he started as Some Eccentric Old Fart who changed into . . . another Eccentric Old Fart who changed into . . . Yet Another Eccentric Old Fart. Then came Tom Baker, who seemed younger, more eccentric, hung about, and defined the character since you could actually watch the show globally.

At any time, The Suits could have tried a female or black or even truly alien . . . okay, forgot this was the BBC which only a year ago surpassed Far-Out Space Nuts-Level of special effects . . . tried a truly "new Doctor." They did not. Instead, they got a slew of "Who? Who?" actors forever compared with Tom Baker--though a few Old Farts would compare him to Eccentric Old Farts I-III--with one or two "Oh . . . That Guy!"

The franchise is now in a potential "no win" situation: they could not really change the character in the 70s so they did not do it in the 80s so now they are "stuck" with those expectations. They cannot get "out" of the expectations without "change." Unlike a Bond or Batman, Dr Who is suppose to change . . . even if he has changed far beyond Japanese Original Planning number of changes. The franchise had a built in excuse to change the character. The BBC just was not allowed to hire anyone other than White Middle-Aged Men until about 1997.

"No win" because this will be seen as a vain attempt "to be cool" and "socially conscious" just as if Ellen "I've Got No Time for Cancer Children" Degenerate became the next Spiderman. Or if Yui Horie got cast for the Next Bond. In a way, after all of this time, that is what it is.

But was hiring Larry Doby Jackie Robinson an attempt at "social justice?"

What will, in the end, matter is how good the replacement is. "Good" trumps all sorts of expectations and prejudices.

For me, I just wish Producers would create something new rather than trying to sell everyone the youths they really do not remember nor deserve.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
My bad, I did not elaborate so I can see why I was misunderstood.

The people are real, the responses are real. But there's no real outrage. There are no significant movements who give a shit of any kind. It seems that all it takes is for one person/asshole to voice their opinion and this snowballs into some absurd notion of significance.

Approximately 110 million of people watch Dr Who, you can find any opinion in those numbers you want if you look for it.
There is definitely an element of that. People who hear the news and go "neato, hope she does a good job" tend not to post about it in forums, FB groups, etc. Wheras the people who blow an o-ring in their butthole over it are far more likely to pen "O MY GOD!!!! POLITICAL CORRECNTESS RUN AMUCK!!! OUTRAGE!!! WHARGARRRRRRBLE!!!!" missives.

The real test, I suppose, will come to a certain extent with the Xmas special where she will make her first appearance and more so during eh next season, in the ratings
Spoiler:

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 pm

I don't care if Dr. Who is played by a goat. Never watched it, never will. Cheesy low-budget production, makes Galactica 1980 look good by comparison.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 pm

gracelyn‏ @andlivefromny 8h8 hours ago

WE HAVE TAKEN YOUR GHOSTBUSTERS AND STAR WARS AND SUPERHEROES AND DOCTOR WHO NOTHING IS SACRED WE WILL DEFILE IT ALL WITH OUR WOMANLY HANDS
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.