The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

That...is an excellent point
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 28912
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 35762
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Grammatron »

Did the Russian trolls spread the trailers as well?
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25255
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by gnome »

Grammatron wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 am Did the Russian trolls spread the trailers as well?
:lol:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25255
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 am Analysis:
Major premise: If some Russians think a movie sucks, it's because they are Russians not because the movie sucks.
Minor premise: If everybody else thinks the movie sucks, it's Russian mind control.
Conclusion: Movies are made by Democrats.
Conjecture: Weaponized trolling has been invented. Russians have decided to hone and exploit this tactic.
This is irrelevant to whether the troll statements should be considered accurate.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 30921
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Pyrrho »

They should tell themselves "It's just a show and I really should relax."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25255
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by gnome »

Good advice all around. If it starts to suck, find something good :)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 28912
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm "Weaponized trolling" == being a meanie on the internet.

Tough shit if they say your sucky movie sucks.

And plenty of people said the second trilogy sucked (or was "too political") without Lucas having hissy fits and descending into conspiracy theories.
But this is about an academic paper by someone with a PhD Abdul!! :cry:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25255
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by gnome »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:08 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm "Weaponized trolling" == being a meanie on the internet.

Tough shit if they say your sucky movie sucks.

And plenty of people said the second trilogy sucked (or was "too political") without Lucas having hissy fits and descending into conspiracy theories.
But this is about an academic paper by someone with a PhD Abdul!! :cry:
Don't get that reference.

It's not about specifically movies, or presidents, or anything. And it's no huge conspiracy. They've noticed that they can get us riled up by stirring the pot. Even if it's over stupid shit it has effects.

One to the other... one to the other...
Image

If you've seen the episode you know it is not the Russians I am mad at in my analogy.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 28912
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Anaxagoras »

Was anyone crying out for a reboot of Mary Poppins?

Sure, it's a classic, but I'm not really all that shocked that people are not exactly stampeding to theaters to see this thing.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I just am confused because this Mary Poppins is kinda hot and that makes me feel very confused and conflicted
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Those fucking teeth.

Live action Sonic is creepy as fuck
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 28912
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Anaxagoras »

The Rise of Skywalker Is So Bad It Actually Makes the Trilogy Worse

Reviewer accuses filmmakers of capitulating to toxic fans.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
User avatar
gnome
Posts: 25255
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by gnome »

So basically whatever they do, they'll be accused of "pandering" or "capitulating" to some kind of fans, that are bad.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Meanwhile, on Arrakis....

The Only Good Online Fandom Left is Dune

So all you Star Wars fans can suck it.
In the contemporary internet sense, the Dune discourse is wild and wide open, without the warring-camp, protect it at all costs mentality that plagues so many other geek-culture staples. If you say “The spice must flow,” you aren’t risking hours of replies from angry pedants the way you might if, oh I don’t know, you point out that in Justice League, Aquaman’s trident (from the Latin for “three teeth”) has five points instead of three. Unless you try very hard, you’re also unlikely to encounter anyone complaining that Dune has been ruined by SJWs and soyboys, or that critics who like it have been bought off by that sweet De Laurentiis money. Yet it’s still a sprawling invented world that provides you with all the esoterica and trivia and map-reading and jargon-slinging joy of any other. You can get stoned and stay up until the wee hours making dank Duncan Idaho memes with your friends, or with no one at all, completely unmolested.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:13 pm Dune fandom -- Too bad the original material sucks. :)

I just finished a re-read of the original novels. I have always enjoyed them.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:10 am As long as what sucks isn't the fans, it's all good.

Ever read Frank Herbert's AWF Unlimited?

That's a short story about women astronauts. Very "past is a foreign country" stuff.

I know the whole run of Galaxy Magazine is in the Internet Archive, but I don't feel like hunting for it right now.
Nope. The only Herbert books I have read are the ones in the Dunce series.
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 28912
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Anaxagoras »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:13 am Nope. The only Herbert books I have read are the ones in the Dunce series.
:lol:

Saved for posterity. :twisted:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Fuggin’ autocorrect
User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 30921
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 28912
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Anaxagoras »

Saw the Uber-broey-neckbeard take on The Witcher. It's not actually a review of the show since he spent the whole video bitching about the media critics. Very little useful information about the show itself.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49552
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:38 am Saw the Uber-broey-neckbeard take on The Witcher. It's not actually a review of the show since he spent the whole video bitching about the media critics. Very little useful information about the show itself.


Critics have snobbier tastes than the general public. Film at 11.

It has nothing to do with being woke like this dumbass implies, it has always been so.

And his definition of “toxic fandoms” is pretty self serving too. It isn’t just “fans who criticize the show” like he says. Lots of ‘fandoms’ have critical, even loudly critical, fans. It’s bullshit like organizing campaigns to drive the stars of the show off of social media. Only certain ‘fandoms’ have that.