The Origin of the Electoral College

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

The Origin of the Electoral College

Post by ed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 am

From the NYT.
Most important, once the possibility of direct popular election of the president was defeated, how much did the slaveholding states rush to support the concept of presidential electors? Not at all. In the initial vote over having electors select the president, the only states voting “nay” were North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia — the three most ardently proslavery states in the convention.
Not to protect slave states. Sorry to make you cry.
When it first took shape at the convention, the Electoral College would not have significantly helped the slaveowning states. Under the initial apportionment of the House approved by the framers, the slaveholding states would have held 39 out of 92 electoral votes, or about 42 percent. Based on the 1790 census, about 41 percent of the nation’s total white population lived in those same states, a minuscule difference. Moreover, the convention did not arrive at the formula of combining each state’s House and Senate numbers until very late in its proceedings, and there is no evidence to suggest that slavery had anything to do with it.
But elections were pure then. Right?
But didn’t the college, whatever the framers’ intentions, eventually become a bulwark for what Northerners would later call the illegitimate slave power? Not really. Some historians have revived an old partisan canard that the slaveholding states’ extra electoral votes unfairly handed Thomas Jefferson the presidency in 1800-01. They ignore anti-Jefferson manipulation of the electoral vote in heavily pro-Jefferson Pennsylvania that offset the Southerners’ electoral advantage. Take away that manipulation, and Jefferson would have won with or without the extra Southern votes.
The more things change ...
But the myth that the Electoral College began as a slaveholders’ instrument needs debunking —
Anyway, read the whole piece, it's short and well within your attention span.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/opin ... e=Homepage

eta: Why this is true:

1- the author includes an obligatory dig at Trump viz.
... the system enabled the election in 2016 of precisely the kind of demagogic figure the framers designed the system to block
2- the author is evidentially a jewish liberal proven by both
- his name Sean Wilentz
and
- his bald faced attempt to shill more books:
which I hope to help with in my book’s revised paperback.
3- he is at an Ivy League den of dripping liberalism:
Sean Wilentz is a professor of history at Princeton
Brought to you as a Public Service by the management of Lake Ed "The Vivarium of all that is Exotic and Man-Eating"
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Re: The Origin of the Electoral College

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:16 pm

That's interesting historically although I don't know if it's particularly important to the current question about it. Originally I think the idea was that the electors would actually exercise independent judgment and not just automatically vote according to whatever rules their state gave. So the electoral college as it works today is not the electoral college that the framers originally intended.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I mean, they called it a "College" for a reason, right?

Wasn't the original idea that these people would all be wise, learned men who would think really carefully about the candidates and have discussions and debates and, they would collectively make a wiser decision than just putting it to a popular vote of the common people. Today it is nothing more than a rubber stamp for whatever the states have already decided. Electors are not supposed to use their own judgment but are supposed to follow the will of the majority of the voters in their state.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Yes, but the basis for the attacks always ALWAYS (<--note caps meaning that that is categorically true) reverts to the claim that the basis for the College is racist.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:33 pm

The slavery connection was invented recently to prove that Donald Trump is a racist and we need to change the system.

Or are you pro-slavery?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale