Tolkien

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Tolkien

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun May 19, 2019 6:09 am

Not much else going on in movies this week, so I watched the J.R.R. Tolkien biopic, creatively titled Tolkien today.

It was...moderately interesting. I suppose that only so much drama can be wrung from his story, so it was kind of a snooze. And I have yet to determine how much of it is true, though I have spotted a few, shall we say, alterations of reality already. But not bad if you have nothing else to entice you at the multiplex.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Anaxagoras

Re: Tolkien

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 20, 2019 6:49 am

Haven't seen it, but I've been thinking about Bilbo Baggins since yesterday.

So many TV shows these days suck at endings. The beginning and the middle are good, but most of them have unsatisfying endings.

I think Bilbo had it right:
I’ve thought of an ending for my book – “And he lived happily ever after… to the end of his days.”

More stories should end that way, or something like it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 am

It never ends.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon May 20, 2019 1:10 pm

and just when you think it's must be about to, it doesn't.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:02 am

Meh.

I wouldn't bother.

Humphrey Carpenter's authorised biography is a good read, as is The Inklings.

I'm a real Tolkien nerd and waded through all his son, Christopher's, epic tomes which describe his father's creative process and give some interesting extra information for those curious about the characters and history in TLOR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

Be warned. Nerds only.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Ugh, I tried reading the silmarillon years ago. It was as if someone had tried to write a novel using the story telling technique of the Old Testament.

And so, in that year and season, I, begatted of a long line of begats, did put that book back on the shelf. And a prophecy was gravely intoned, “never a-fucking-gain”. And upon those cryptic words was the tome laid aside and even the wisest know not where it resides now (but probably in croydon public library).

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Giz wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm
Ugh, I tried reading the silmarillon years ago.
Ditto. That opus should be burned with brimstone as it causes miscarriages, droughts, floods, economic crashes, wars, bluegrass music, dyslexia and even dandruff for sensitive readers. An abomination.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:02 am
Meh.

I wouldn't bother.

Humphrey Carpenter's authorised biography is a good read, as is The Inklings.

I'm a real Tolkien nerd and waded through all his son, Christopher's, epic tomes which describe his father's creative process and give some interesting extra information for those curious about the characters and history in TLOR, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

Be warned. Nerds only.
I wouldn't have bothered either, but I wanted to get out of the apartment for a bit and nothing else was playing that weekend that I wanted to see but had not already seen
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:35 pm

Giz wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm
Ugh, I tried reading the silmarillon years ago. It was as if someone had tried to write a novel using the story telling technique of the Old Testament.

And so, in that year and season, I, begatted of a long line of begats, did put that book back on the shelf. And a prophecy was gravely intoned, “never a-fucking-gain”. And upon those cryptic words was the tome laid aside and even the wisest know not where it resides now (but probably in croydon public library).
Oh, I'd agree. The Silmarillion was a project that Tolkien never completed and was cobbled together, (and added to), by his son, Christopher, from an enormous stack of drafts, now held at the Bodleian Library, Oxford University where Tolkien was a distinguished Professor.

I, myself, personally rather like the book but quite understand your point of view; it's as nerdy as fuck.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.