This week: 100th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

This week: 100th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Synopsis:
Mostly what you probably know already except with much more detail.
But toward the end of the video, an overview of recent historians who think the treaty wasn't so bad after all.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Giz

Re: This week: 100th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles

Post by Giz »

The treaty wasn’t in and of itself unreasonable. The problem was that Germans had been brainwashed enough by the kaisers propaganda that a slightly harsh treaty was seen as unforgivably harsh. And yet it wasn’t harsh enough to prevent Germany being dangerous.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

More Treaty of Versailles revisionism. :)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

And more.

Note in the introduction he is complaining of YouTube cracking down on history videos.

I guess even to mention Hitler encourages Nazis (Trump supporters), even if it is clearly from a conventional anti-Hitler perspective.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

The reparations were "slightly on the harsh side of strict."

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Hindsight is always 20-20
About that stereo

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes »

Folks, the main reason that total crap bunch of papers were allowed into our history books is due to a medical situation. Plain and simple. That Wilson fella would have gotten that thing properly adjusted, IF he had been in the proper health situation to get the work done.

+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes »

Giz wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:59 pm
The treaty wasn’t in and of itself unreasonable. The problem was that Germans had been brainwashed enough by the kaisers propaganda that a slightly harsh treaty was seen as unforgivably harsh. And yet it wasn’t harsh enough to prevent Germany being dangerous.
I am confused by something, Giz.

I'll ask up front for your sympathy if I am way off on this, because I would have to go back to some history page to check what has faded from my old brain; but just how much influence did that monarch individual in Germany have over the minds of the citizens after the actual fighting was brought to an end and then the process of those victors to write all the papers. I mean, I thought the average German citizens during that time, and maybe even a bit before, were just about fed up with those that had gotten them into that mess.

I was sort of under the impression there was a kind of vacuum in the collective minds over all things except the basics of getting food into their stomachs and maybe getting some sort of shelter around them and/or a family.

And I thought that vacuum was the reason that next horrid human was able to gain control of the government in that country a bit down the road of time.

Giz

Post by Giz »

From what I recall, the Germans were fed propaganda about them being in a winning position, right up to the very end. Even when the allied offensive in late 1918 heralded the end, the German withdrawal was being reported as a sign of the strong position!

So when the Germans gave up, it came as a complete shock to the people. They’d thought they were winning. How did it suddenly go so wrong? It must have been a betrayal!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Giz wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm
From what I recall, the Germans were fed propaganda about them being in a winning position, right up to the very end. Even when the allied offensive in late 1918 heralded the end, the German withdrawal was being reported as a sign of the strong position!

So when the Germans gave up, it came as a complete shock to the people. They’d thought they were winning. How did it suddenly go so wrong? It must have been a betrayal ...
... by the Jews.

Because there were Jews in the new government, see?

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

The "Knife in the back" was a Nazi theme. Jews and fellow travelers.

A bit like the reasons for Hillary's loss.
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Of course comparing Democrats to Nazis is very ho-hum. In fact it's one of these ==> :roll:

But I really do appreciate the implicit comparison of Hillary to the Kaiser this time. :BigGrin3:

Giz

Post by Giz »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:32 pm
Of course comparing Democrats to Nazis is very ho-hum. In fact it's one of these ==> :roll:

But I really do appreciate the implicit comparison of Hillary to the Kaiser this time. :BigGrin3:
I like to imagine she gave a good [kaiser] wilhelm scream [nov 2016]

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes »

Giz wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm

So when the Germans gave up, it came as a complete shock to the people. They’d thought they were winning. How did it suddenly go so wrong? It must have been a betrayal!
Giz, logic doesn't squeeze in here, if we really try hard to put ourselves into that time and age, in a manner of putting it. I mean, I do not believe it really did come as a complete shock, although we might draw that conclusion today from the text we have from that period.

Yes, the radio wasn't yet a big deal for the average folks --- which was one reason that horrid one was able to achieve what he did.

Of course, other communications devices were not like today.

So there was the printed word, yes?

But there was also all them folks coming from the trenches on leave or recovering from health issues and the many death notices coming to families and then the hospital staff from the janitor all the way up to the administrator, and I have a gut feeling that in fact many, many of the average folks knew very well that things were not near as rosy as the government's printed message was putting out.

It isn't easy to fool people, but the people would be smart enough to keep their mouths shut when they were around government types and so those government types that wanted to believe their propaganda was working would be fooled into thinking it was. And now our history books are informing us that the government propaganda was working, when it actually wasn't. But few wrote down that it wasn't because they feared doing so.

It's a messy thing to 100 years later try to figure out the truth from the written word.

In fact, that is one fantastic thing about this Internet business, IF we properly archive all the information that is out there. And that absolutely has to be in a bold font. We have so much information out there that we are going to really screw up properly archiving it if we don't get some seriously smart professionals to properly study the problem; but that is another topic. Do we have that topic around here?

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

It's in bold font.