What have you been reading lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Re: What have you been reading lately

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:25 am

Finished The Wiseman's Fear and realized that I have never read any of the Discworld books. So I have started The Colour of Magic as a palate cleanser. Since its such a short book, I also have The Light Fantastic lined up right behind it.

As my new avatar suggests, The Luggage is my favorite character so far.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:54 am

Well, if you never read the Discworld books before you have to read Small Gods.

–J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 am

I have also been informed that Reaper Man is a must read
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Rincewind is probably my favourite Discworld character, closely followed by the Lancre Witches. If I lived on the Discworld, Rincewind's life would be my destiny. Small Gods is Pratchett at his best and I think you'd like the City Watch books.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Waiting for book 2 of Walter Jon Williams second Praxis trilogy. Fun space opera (after the tyrannical Shaa die off, the 6 subject species [including humanity] jostle to find a place in the 10,000 year old empire.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:14 pm

George Orwell's collected letters and journalism, not for the first time.

One item I read last night is a review of Mein Kampf dated 21 March 1940 in The New English Weekly, a publication now mostly known for having published Orwell's book reviews.

The UK is fighting all alone. The Nazis just bombed the shit out of the Royal Navy at Scapa Flow.

You can openly buy a copy of Hitler's war manifesto, even though wartime shortages are pinching the book publishing industry.
And it gets a serious (though denunciatory) review in a left wing intellectual publication.

Let that sink in.

That is what freedom of the press looks like, even in a crisis.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:49 am

C. J Cherry's Downbelow Station, again. Classic SciFi with tree-hugging, hippy aliens who are bemused by humanity's antics, shrug and just get on with enjoying their damp, odoriferous existence.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.