HULU, Firesticks and other things

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

HULU, Firesticks and other things

Post by ed » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:13 am

I've been using cable and a pc. Cable for TV, the PC to access Amazon and netflix and downloaded movies.

Should I have one of those other things? Why? What do I get?

CH would have just come over and set it up for me.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: HULU, Firesticks and other things

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:26 am

I'm going to start referring to you as Mr. Dammit!

Get a fucking Roku.
https://www.roku.com/products/players

You can even go ultra-cheap. They have a new device coming in two weeks. $30 will do you

ed

Post by ed » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:32 am

But what does it do? I plug it in and what? TV? I get TV. Is it better? Why? Should I get an 84" tv? 8k? Why?

I am so confused. I was in a tech cocoon and I want to emerge as a butterfly.

Help.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Once it's setup and selected, it shows you a roku menu with all your standard or optional streaming options, like netflix, hulu, amazon, youtube, PLEX!!! and about three hundred (thousand?) more. You can even stream directly from your network-attached storage if you're too lazy for PLEX.

So you can stream directly from your TV. You don't have to stream from your computer.

By all means, get an 84 inch, 4k tv. Your eyes are too old to appreciate the resolution of 4k but the color gamut is spectacular*. 8k is a waste because the gamut is the same as 4k.

I'll send you a bill.

*for things filmed in that gamut, anyway

ed

Post by ed » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:33 pm

hmmmm .... so I could put my "downloaded" <wink wink> content in the cloud and access that from the tv?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:25 pm

for home network attached storage values of the cloud, yes.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Of a the cable alternatives, Netflix is the best. Amazon is also good , but I hate their format, which makes it hard to find new programs and content. They categorize everything, but they new stuff in the New Releases category doesn't list the new content by date. Strictly speaking, neither does Netflix, but the AI is generally better about finding things you might like and putting that stuff first.

The good: less channel surfing. I used to spend entire evenings flipping channels on cable and never finding anything good. Even better, you can watch anything you want at any time, pause, and continue later.

The bad: generally less content than cable, but the again, also less garbage.

The ugly: you can watch entire TV series in one sitting if you want.....but who does that?. You will! If TV show is good enough. You'll spend nights and weekends binge watching, thinking for sure this is the last episode of the evening, but there's always a hook that makes you watch just one more....
Such potential!

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 pm

A good tool for browsing for what you might want to see across several platforms: justwatch.com (even better on mobile!)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2