Doctor Sleep

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Doctor Sleep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:52 am

I have been waiting for this movie since I read the book, and I read the book as soon as it came out. The Shining is one of my favorite movies, despite the difference from the book, and I love the novel as well. So I was prepared to be seriously disappointed, luckily I was not.

Doctor Sleep, the movie, diverged pretty heavily from the book, but I liked it overall. It wasn't a good adaption of the book, TBH. This was exacerbated by the fact that Kubrick's Shining diverged from the book, and the novel Doctor Sleep was a sequel to the novel version of The Shining, whereas the movie Doctor Sleep was a sequel to the Kubrick film. It was, however a good movie on its own merits and a surprisingly decent sequel to Kubrick's masterpiece.

I also have to add that I thought the big bad, "Rose the Hat", was EXACTLY the way I pictured her in the book, both in looks and actions. Ewan Macgregor also nailed the adult Danny Torrance, IMO.

“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”