The Official Spoilerific "Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
gnome

The Official Spoilerific "Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Post by gnome »

Just saw it yesterday. What do people think? I'm still forming my opinion. My initial impression is that I enjoyed it. I have questions, however.

The Emperor-cloned stuff I can buy. After all, they did that before in comics.

But nothing else happening on Exegol made much sense. First of all, why are they calling it Exegol and not Korriban?

Second, if all those planet-killing Star Destroyers are flight and combat ready, who are the crew? Did the Emperor-clone really gather enough troops to overwhelm the galaxy and just park them up his ass waiting for his daughter to figure it all out? Yeah, he could count on her to eventually work it out and arrive. But you know what would have brought her to him faster? Invading the fledgling New Republic and blowing up a bunch of worlds he doesn't like!

But maybe I missed something--I might look for a book, if there is a book. I just wish that it was more clear what was going on there. In fact, even literally so. I couldn't see shit on any scenes on that planet. I wasn't left with any idea what the place looked like or where anyone was when they were doing stuff.

Behind all that grousing, however, I did like it. It's not like the other movies were masterpieces of tight storytelling and consistency. If I pretend it's a dealbreaker now I'm being inconsistent.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The Official Spoilerific "Rise of Skywalker" Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Spoiler:
It sucks, right? :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
gnome

Post by gnome »

"Sucks" is definitely relative when it comes to Star Wars (or most things)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Serious question. Are any of the Star Wars sequels worth watching? I watched the first one when I was a kid and thought it was a bit silly, so never bothered with the rest!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 pm Serious question. Are any of the Star Wars sequels worth watching? I watched the first one when I was a kid and thought it was a bit silly, so never bothered with the rest!
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) just squeaks past the original Episode IV: A New Hope (1977). V was better film making but IV wins for originality. The rest were meh to just plain facepalm bad.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:22 pm
asthmatic camel wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 pm Serious question. Are any of the Star Wars sequels worth watching? I watched the first one when I was a kid and thought it was a bit silly, so never bothered with the rest!
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) just squeaks past the original Episode IV: A New Hope (1977). V was better film making but IV wins for originality. The rest were meh to just plain facepalm bad.
Agree. I tried to watch 1,2 & 3 I honestly have no recollection of them. There was one I started and they just began runnng and shooting and I just bailed.
About that stereo
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I suppose Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017) deserves honorable mention.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

gnome wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:35 pm "Sucks" is definitely relative when it comes to Star Wars (or most things)
Relative to ...

First movie (notionally episode 4) -- Mediocre plot but visually spectacular compared to (for example) Star Trek TOS.

Second movie (this is the one where Leigh Brackett worked on the script) -- Excellent.

Third movie -- Sucked.

I didn't see any of the others, but I hear they sucked. :wink:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

An actor whose opinion I respect thought the first one sucked. I refer to Alec Guinness.

Hey. A gig is a gig. :evil:

gnome

Post by gnome »

They are visually spectacular, so maybe with the sound down?
--Soldier, TF2
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Just saw it and enjoyed it once we survived all of the previews of summer blockbusters. TENET looks interesting.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Rise of Skywalker surprisingly didn't suck. It's almost like they got at least one writer on the team who twigged on to the fact that if they gave the characters something resembling a personality, then people would actually give a shit about the McGuffin Quest that formed the bulk of the plot. Too bad no one realized this five movies ago.

It still doesn't stand up to the originals or even to The Mandalorian, but it's a damned sight better than any of the recent entries into the franchise.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

People who haven't seen any of the other movies might not understand the plot of this one. Too many glosses.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Wondering about parents who brought small children to watch mass violence and death and destruction. Marginal difference between this movie and the Bond flick they promoted prior to the main attraction.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

They are all pleasant, watchable movies if you do not think too much. The problem is, most Star Wars fans are incapable of thought and prefer fan service over decent writing, plot, screenplay, character, etc. to get invested.

Have some fast chases and big explosion. Awesumz!/56!!!!
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Hotarubi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:23 am They are all pleasant, watchable movies if you do not think too much. The problem is, most Star Wars fans are incapable of thought and prefer fan service over decent writing, plot, screenplay, character, etc. to get invested.
Which is fortunate since the principle author, Akira Kurosawa, died some time ago.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

What movie is that from? Seems sorta choppy.
About that stereo
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »