The Dune Thread

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

The Dune Thread

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Since summer I have been reading the Dune series. The original six Frank Herbert novels, plus the two sequels written by his son. FINALLY finished the last one today (Sandworms of Dune).

It is going to almost be weird to be reading about people not named Atreides, Harkonnen, etc. There are the bazillion inferior prequels that Brian Herbert wrote, but nah.

Anyhoo, it's going to be a big year for Dune, there is another film adaption of it coming out in December, and it is getting a lot of positive buzz. So this is the place for all things Dune.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Re: The Dune Thread

Post by robinson »

First time reading? Or rereading them?
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Can't say I thought much of the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson efforts but I had to read them just in case.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

robinson wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:34 am First time reading? Or rereading them?

Re-reading the originals. First time for the Brian Herbert sequels
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Is there a fandom faction that is pissy about the sequels? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm Is there a fandom faction that is pissy about the sequels? :)
Not that I'm aware of. However, I belong to a few SciFi fan groups and folks are generally in agreement that they are definitely lacking in lustre.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

They actually suck IMNsHO
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
asthmatic camel

They actually do.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm Is there a fandom faction that is pissy about the sequels? :)

Pissy? No. But it’s rare to find anyone who will admit to liking them. I thought they were “meh”. No worse than the last couple of original books, but that’s a low bar.

I think they had the elements of a good story, but failed in execution. Too much telling, not enough showing and the end was the most egregious Deus Ex Machina I have ever seen
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

But if you want pissy, there IS a rumor that a minor character (Liet Kynes) is going to be gender swapped in the upcoming movie and it’s confirmed that the Fremen will, gasp, be played mostly by black actors. And there are sine pissy people over those things
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 pm Can't say I thought much of the Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson efforts but I had to read them just in case.

Same here. Frank had the fucking temerity to die after leaving the series on a cliffhanger. I wanted to read SOME resolution to that, even a shitty one
asthmatic camel

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm But if you want pissy, there IS a rumor that a minor character (Liet Kynes) is going to be gender swapped in the upcoming movie and it’s confirmed that the Fremen will, gasp, be played mostly by black actors. And there are sine pissy people over those things
That doesn't bode well. Kinda like Peter Jackson trying to "improve" TLOR & The Hobbit. Let me know how it goes so I don't waste any time or money.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:29 am
Nyarlathotep wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm But if you want pissy, there IS a rumor that a minor character (Liet Kynes) is going to be gender swapped in the upcoming movie and it’s confirmed that the Fremen will, gasp, be played mostly by black actors. And there are sine pissy people over those things
That doesn't bode well. Kinda like Peter Jackson trying to "improve" TLOR & The Hobbit. Let me know how it goes so I don't waste any time or money.
I don't have a problem with it. There is nothing about Kynes that requires him to be male. And as for the Fremen, while I never pictured them as black, I always pictured them as basically Space Arabs, so it isn't much of a stretch to make them a shade or two darker.
asthmatic camel

I'd say there's quite a lot that requires Kynes to be male, especially as leader of a Space Arab nation. Oh well, I don't have to watch it. :)
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:55 am I'd say there's quite a lot that requires Kynes to be male, especially as leader of a Space Arab nation. Oh well, I don't have to watch it. :)

Kynes dies about a third of the way through the book. He almost doesn't even need to exist
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Trailer is out for the new movie.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Where is Ben Gazzara?

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Go check the Tumbrel of Missed Opportunity.

:x :x :x
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Weell that was dark
asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:53 am Trailer is out for the new movie.

Pink Floyd backing track. Might give it a look. :)