The Reduced Shakespeare Company

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Sundog

The Reduced Shakespeare Company

Post by Sundog »

My kids brought over a DVD they were sure I'd like: the Reduced Shakespeare Company (3 guys) performing "The Abridged Works of William Shakespeare."

Have any of you seen it? I didn't like it (though I didn't tell the kids that). I thought it was just silly, slapstick, not witty at all. To me, if you're going to have some fun with Shakespeare, you'd better have a bit of wit in the way you go about it. This was just one goofy sight gag after another.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What age group were they going after? If it's a kids type show, then it might be a way to introduce them to Shakespeare. If it's for adults as well as kids, then I'd probably agree with you.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Kiless

Re: The Reduced Shakespeare Company

Post by Kiless »

Sundog wrote:My kids brought over a DVD they were sure I'd like: the Reduced Shakespeare Company (3 guys) performing "The Abridged Works of William Shakespeare."

Have any of you seen it? I didn't like it (though I didn't tell the kids that). I thought it was just silly, slapstick, not witty at all. To me, if you're going to have some fun with Shakespeare, you'd better have a bit of wit in the way you go about it. This was just one goofy sight gag after another.
It's brilliant live on stage, as it was designed to be performed. Never heard of it being filmed... was it the original group?
inactive account - do not send PMs, will not respond.

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Kiless wrote:
Sundog wrote:My kids brought over a DVD they were sure I'd like: the Reduced Shakespeare Company (3 guys) performing "The Abridged Works of William Shakespeare."

It's brilliant live on stage, as it was designed to be performed. Never heard of it being filmed... was it the original group?
Agreed - it's the dog's bollocks live.

richardm

Post by richardm »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:Agreed - it's the dog's bollocks live.
Seconded (or is it thirded, now?) I've seen them live and it really was hysterical. Presumably something has been lost in the translation to DVD.

Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Maybe I'm just losing my sense of humor; first Life of Brian and now this. I just didn't find it funny at all.

iain

Post by iain »

Live was fantastic ( a few years ago in London).

A radio show they did a few years ago is playing on BBC7 at the moment (23:00 tonight and 04:30 tomorrow - British Summer Time - for those with digital radio in the UK or an internet connection - and available to listen to on the web for the next week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/wednesday/

Triangleman

Post by Triangleman »

I have seen a recording of a stage performance and I laughed my head off. Maybe it's because I don't like Shakespeare much . . .

mooseypops

Post by mooseypops »

. . . they also do an excellent abridged Bible . . . .