Aeon Flux

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Aeon Flux

Post by Nyarlathotep »

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(There I got that out of my system. I needed that)
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Thanks for taking another one for us Ny :)

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Come on!

There was no way that movie couldn't have sucked donkey balls.

Stop torturing yourself, Ny.

It was good on Liquid Television. The series sucked.

Long live Liquid TV.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Well, it looked good in the trailers and I loved it on MTV (in fact, it was probably the last thing I ever really watched on MTV). The movie WAS nice to look at (and not just because of Charlize Theron in a skimpy outfit) but I can't say much else good about it. It was, in a way, too much like the original source material. The original cartoons were basicly long chase scenes with no character development, just a bunch of scrobatics, traps and gunfire. This is fine for a 10 minute short film, but it can't sustain a 2 hour feature. They made a few feeble attempts at character development and exposition but they wer cursory and, frankly, didn't ring true. Especially the 'big secret' that is revealed at the end, which was both pedestrian AND incredibly stupid.

Ah well, my grandmother is a huge Johnny Cash fan and I am treating her to Walk the Line this weekend. If it's as good as I hear, maybe it will repalce the IQ points I lost from watching Aeon Flux
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Well, it looked good in the trailers and I loved it on MTV (in fact, it was probably the last thing I ever really watched on MTV). The movie WAS nice to look at (and not just because of Charlize Theron in a skimpy outfit) but I can't say much else good about it. It was, in a way, too much like the original source material. The original cartoons were basicly long chase scenes with no character development, just a bunch of scrobatics, traps and gunfire. This is fine for a 10 minute short film, but it can't sustain a 2 hour feature. They made a few feeble attempts at character development and exposition but they wer cursory and, frankly, didn't ring true. Especially the 'big secret' that is revealed at the end, which was both pedestrian AND incredibly stupid.

Ah well, my grandmother is a huge Johnny Cash fan and I am treating her to Walk the Line this weekend. If it's as good as I hear, maybe it will repalce the IQ points I lost from watching Aeon Flux
What's the big secret?

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Yeah, spoil it. I don't care.

I'm guessing she's a female clone of the big bad-guy.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Well, it looked good in the trailers and I loved it on MTV (in fact, it was probably the last thing I ever really watched on MTV). The movie WAS nice to look at (and not just because of Charlize Theron in a skimpy outfit) but I can't say much else good about it. It was, in a way, too much like the original source material. The original cartoons were basicly long chase scenes with no character development, just a bunch of scrobatics, traps and gunfire. This is fine for a 10 minute short film, but it can't sustain a 2 hour feature. They made a few feeble attempts at character development and exposition but they wer cursory and, frankly, didn't ring true. Especially the 'big secret' that is revealed at the end, which was both pedestrian AND incredibly stupid.

What's the big secret?
Spoiler Alert
It turns out that every single person in Bregna (the city where the movie takes place and, ostensibly, the last city on Earth) is a clone. The disease that wiped out most of humanity (mentioned at the beginning of the film) also rendered the survivors sterile so people couldn't reproduce naturally. SOmehow the government managed to institute a cloning program while managing to hide it by implanting the embyos into women so it looked like a natural preganancy.

Further, the natural sterility is wearing off and some women are begining to get pregant naturally. For some inexplicable reason the government sees this as a threat and had been whacking women who got pregnant naturally. What's more, for some reason (also never explained) people sometimes get litle glimpses of the lives of their previous clones.

This is the dumbest twist I have seen in a long time. Not the least of which is the list of logical loopholes this leaves; i.e. why, if the government has such good cloning technology, do they not just do in vitro fertilizations? Why does the government feel the need to keep the sterility a secret? Why do they see the end of the sterility as a threat? Do the writers of the film have any friggin clue that a clone would no more have the memories of the original donor than a twin does of his sibling? etc.

It was just stupid.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:Yeah, spoil it. I don't care.

I'm guessing she's a female clone of the big bad-guy.
Nope, that would have been better. See my post to Grammy.

Vic Daring

Post by Vic Daring »

Wasn't that the plot of The Island?
Victim of the SBN (Search Button Nazis)

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Vic Daring wrote:Wasn't that the plot of The Island?
Dunno. Like most of the rest of the movie going public, I manged to give The Island a miss.

specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

If "The Island" was a remake of "Parts: The Klonus Horror," the premise to that movie was that they were clones of famous/rich people. The clones were used to harvest body parts to extend the life and well-being of the famous/rich people.

Not quite the same thing.
ta-
DAVE!!!

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

specious_reasons wrote:
If "The Island" was a remake of "Parts: The Klonus Horror," the premise to that movie was that they were clones of famous/rich people. The clones were used to harvest body parts to extend the life and well-being of the famous/rich people.

Not quite the same thing.
Although, I didn't see The Island, I did see the original when I was a child and I really liked it, so eventually, I will see The Island also.
Chani

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:.

Stop torturing yourself, Ny.
I suppose you are right.

Torturing me is Chani's job. :P

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

P.s. Before anyone says it, The Japanese Original was much better despite it giving Aeon huge eyes, a tiny mouth and dressing her up in a tiny little school girl outfit rather than tight leather.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

You refer to the highly aclaimed Aron Furukusu.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

Saw it last weekend. See Spoiler Alert :-p
Nyarlathotep wrote: Spoiler Alert
It turns out that every single person in Bregna (the city where the movie takes place and, ostensibly, the last city on Earth) is a clone. The disease that wiped out most of humanity (mentioned at the beginning of the film) also rendered the survivors sterile so people couldn't reproduce naturally. SOmehow the government managed to institute a cloning program while managing to hide it by implanting the embyos into women so it looked like a natural preganancy.
Which is a decent sci-fi premise, if overused (as mentioned above). Good old unforseen side-effects to salvation. Neither particularly far fetched nor particularly "suprising" as twists go.
Further, the natural sterility is wearing off and some women are begining to get pregant naturally. For some inexplicable reason the government sees this as a threat and had been whacking women who got pregnant naturally.
Ah, but it wasn't the government... it was one guy. A guy who had been raised by his clone, and expected to pass on his knowledge to his clone after him. When raised to believe in cloning as immortality, the fear of losing immortality serves as a decent motivation for trying to keep everything operating the same way. Now, there's the inherent problem with a clone being a functionally different person with the same genetics, except for the next bit...
What's more, for some reason (also never explained) people sometimes get litle glimpses of the lives of their previous clones.
It annoyed me at the time as well, but if you're willing to take this as a premise instead of a flaw, it makes the character motivations make sense, which they wouldn't in the least without it. It's such a common sci-fi silliness that I could just gloss over it without it bothering me overmuch. For instance, the Star Wars Expanded Universe displays the same problem with force-sensitive clones. Is it scientifically accurate? Not remotely. But it's almost traditional sci-fi at this point. ;)
This is the dumbest twist I have seen in a long time. Not the least of which is the list of logical loopholes this leaves; i.e. why, if the government has such good cloning technology, do they not just do in vitro fertilizations?
Well, they do. Just with cloned embryos. One has to hand wave an explanation on why they can't do the whole mix&match thing with the genetic data, but off the cuff I'd say whatever the cure for the original disease was it caused genetic alterations that prevented that whole sperm/egg generation thing (I forget the term) and their cloning technology only worked starting with entire cells.

Hey, at least they didn't have clones springing up full grown with the same memories. :D
Why does the government feel the need to keep the sterility a secret?
Heh, after the first century of lying, I think it might just annoy the people to find out their totalitarian rulers have been screwing with the most intimate details of their lives. As to why they did it initially... well, maybe they didn't want to make that "oops, our bad" announcement about the cure. Or the powers that be saw an opportunity to control and preserve the last remnant of humanity and saw telling the truth as a risk.

Hell, except for the whole "having it work for 400 years" I could see our government trying it. :D
Why do they see the end of the sterility as a threat?
Seemed like the brother was the one pulling the strings on that. They never explained how many people knew about it, but given the autocratic policies in place, seems fairly likely not too many people knew about the end of sterility at all. The vast majority didn't know about the sterility in the first place, and I'm not sure what the rest of the council knew. The council seemed more interested in politics and governing than the cloning issue in any case. They objected to how Goodchild was running things, I don't recall any discussion by them on cloning at all. Actually, I was sort of certain that only the Goodchild brothers (and whatever the old guy was) actually knew about the cloning, but I might be wrong.
Do the writers of the film have any friggin clue that a clone would no more have the memories of the original donor than a twin does of his sibling? etc.
Yeah, if you can't get by that part the whole thing kind of falls apart. But given that I went in expecting the total absurdism of the cartoons, that seemed like an insignificant leap to make. :)
It was just stupid.
I'd say rather that it lacked ambition. The cloning thing is hardly a twist. I can think of a half dozen movies in recent years. The hot female unstoppable assassin is cliche. Love conquering all, surviving death yadda yadda. Nature curing all, been there, done that ... and that one did piss me off. You already established that Goodchild had created a cure, why make that totally pointless? It means that they could have just waited around and reached the same end as all his hard work and Aeon's... um... whatever she actually accomplished. Increased demand for clones, I guess.

Though I was tickled by the surviving council guy putting Goodchild back in charge. "Whatever we are, we aren't anarchists." Perfectly in character, I loved it. Really, the characters were what worked for me. Aeon feels guilty and driven over the loss of her "sister" and spends all this time trying to kill the guy she thinks is responsible, only to run head-on into the destined lovers cliche. Goodchild is the dedicated scientist cliche run headlong into the evil dictator cliche. His brother is the dutiful brother/evil mastermind seeking immortality. None of it was remotely original, but it had the grace to set up opposing cliches to keep it interesting.

I like the technological flair, the little explosive balls were clever if totally blown by the previews. The little red motes as communication devices, along with the electrical thing to reach the handler. The little patches of... something... that seal up bullet holes. The hands for feet chick.

In terms of story telling, they did miss the boat a bit. They telegraphed the floating blimp of cloning thing, and they really just sort of let some stuff drop. Taking out the survellaince early on... did that do anything? Did it go anywhere, was it useful? What about the Handler? Was the ending what she was going for, was she a clone, what happened to her? What did that belt thing do to take her to the lab... was it teleportation, or phase shifting, or what? Who was the brother's killer sidechick? What did she know? Why was there exotic highly deadly security systems around the seat of government, and why didn't Trevor want "more conventional security?" Were there previous failed assassination attempts? What did the resistance hope to gain by killing Goodchild? Wouldn't they expect his brother to take over and be the same? How did the brother manage to manipulate them?

Overall, a watchable flick that really should have tried harder and taken more risks. No idea why the studio withheld previews... it was better than Attack of the Clones, after all. ;)
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."
- Scott Adams, "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment"

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Will just watch the original cartoons.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Aoidoi

Post by Aoidoi »

I heard a theory that the movie was just a sort of viral ad campaign for the dvd box set that's just being released. Might explain some things. :D
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."
- Scott Adams, "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment"