No daleks for new Dr Who

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
JamesM

No daleks for new Dr Who

Post by JamesM »

No Daleks in Dr Who's Return
The BBC has confirmed the Daleks will not appear in its new Doctor Who series after a failure to agree terms.

Talks between the BBC and the estate of late sci-fi writer Terry Nation, who created the Daleks, broke down over issues of editorial control.
At least this will force them to come up with some original ideas, rather than rehashing the same old same old.

edited to remove horrendous apostrophe error in the link title.
Last edited by JamesM on Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"

iain

Post by iain »

No bad thing to have an enemy which can't be defeated by a staircase.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I always felt Daleks were the most stupid thing of the whole series.

"OH NO!!! The Most-Dangerous-Evil-Force-in-the-Universe is slowly rolling towards us screaching in a most annoying fashion!!"

"Why don't we just tip it over?"

"Er . . . well . . . hey I'M the TIME LORD!!! You are just eyecandy!"

"Can Brits be 'eyecandy?'"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I always preferred the Cybermen myself, simply because I could pretend to be one whenever I got stuff back from the drycleaners.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Will they bring back the cheesy "Far Out Space Nuts" special effects?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

iain

Post by iain »

I could never figure out why, whenever any aliens decided to invade the earth, they always thought the best place to use as a starting point was a particular quarry in southern England.

Should be good though. Once you get through the dodgy special effects and low-budget problems, the programme was always good. I always liked the Doctor's politics : a liberal who fought for people's right to be human and make their own mistakes.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I always liked the Doctor's politics : a liberal who fought for people's right to be human and make their own mistakes.
I have always considered myself more of a moderate actually. . . .

--J.D.

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Did you know that the word "Dalek" is Croatian for "far and distant thing."

Go on - astound your friends on the other forums with that knowledge. Hell, you can even impress them by telling them that you've known that for years.

But you just remember where you got it from. I deserve that much respect.
Last edited by CHARLEY_BIGTIME on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Loon

Post by Loon »

Doctor X wrote:Did you know that the word "Dalek" is Croatian for "far and distant thing."

Go on - astound your friends on the other forums with that knowledge. Hell, you can even impress them by telling them that you've known that for years.

But you just remember where you got it from. I deserve that much respect.
Wow, thanks Doc! That's really cool, and really cool of you to tell us!

I'll never forget this.
I guess there he chose to err on the side of more votes. -[size=75]Grammatron[/size]

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Fug.

iain

Post by iain »

Doctor X wrote:
I always liked the Doctor's politics : a liberal who fought for people's right to be human and make their own mistakes.
I have always considered myself more of a moderate actually. . . .

--J.D.
My apologies :D

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

BWA!HA!HA!HA!

Thanks . . . needed that. . . .

For Lexx fans, "Gigoratta" means "liver-eater."

Lexx fans?

[Cue Sounds of Crickets Chirping in the Still Night.--Ed.]

--J.D.

Mr Manifesto

Post by Mr Manifesto »

Doctor X wrote:BWA!HA!HA!HA!

Thanks . . . needed that. . . .

For Lexx fans, "Gigoratta" means "liver-eater."

Lexx fans?

[Cue Sounds of Crickets Chirping in the Still Night.--Ed.]

--J.D.
Gigoratta no have time for skin games! Give Gigoratta show! Give Gigoratta good show she never forget!
"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela."
-- Martha Stewart

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

"When you wake the dead . . . convention dictates . . . YOU JOIN 'EM!!"

--J.D.

JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Actually, the daleks are coming back, after all
Doctor Who's arch enemies the Daleks are coming back to the series after a lengthy dispute between the BBC and the creator's estate was finally settled.
I thought you'd all want to know.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Doctor X wrote:I always felt Daleks were the most stupid thing of the whole series.
They're a fair match for K-9.

Billie Piper and Lalla Ward definitely meet my criteria for eye candy.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba)

Re: No daleks for new Dr Who

Post by Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba) »

JamesM wrote:No Daleks in Dr Who's Return
The BBC has confirmed the Daleks will not appear in its new Doctor Who series after a failure to agree terms.
I'm not surprised. No one has really ever managed to negotiate very successfully with Daleks. They are quite a disagreeable lot, aren't they?

Doctor X, yes even Jon Pertwee thought they were stupid. They are a bit silly, but still, I can't imagine Doctor Who without Daleks. I'm all for new enemies, but occasional reappearances of long-standing villains are essential.
Can it core a apple?

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Political correctness is going to destroy humanity! Wheelchair ramps are all over now! The Daleks will no longer be stopped by our human staircases!
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

They're a fair match for K-9.
Well . . . you have me there!

I kept waiting for a Self-Respecting Villain or even Good Citizen to kick the miserable fuck through the goal posts!

Dagon:

You know, it would be funny if one showed up and "the Doctor" calmly remarked, "we use to fear these, until we learned we could just do this. . . ." and tip the stupid thing over! Then it could continue with the movie. Rather like the nice scene where Christopher Reeve's Kent pauses quizzically for a moment at a public phone. A bit of homage to a silly but loved idea.

Doctor Who--like Classic Trek--has a certain "campiness" and, let us face it, mindless stupidity. To "update" it requires a lot of overhaul.

Good luck to them, however.

--J.D.

Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba)

Post by Dagon (JREF's Psi Baba) »

Doctor X wrote:Dagon:

You know, it would be funny if one showed up and "the Doctor" calmly remarked, "we use to fear these, until we learned we could just do this. . . ." and tip the stupid thing over! Then it could continue with the movie. Rather like the nice scene where Christopher Reeve's Kent pauses quizzically for a moment at a public phone. A bit of homage to a silly but loved idea.
Didn't they do that in one of the Doctor Who movies with Peter Cushing? They mashed food into the lenses and pushed the dalek onto a jacket, separating it from contact with the metal floor. I think later they did tip one over. BTW, are those movies considered to be canonical?
Can it core a apple?