1 Down, 15 to go

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Re: 1 Down, 15 to go

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:54 am

Colton Parayko and the Blues are playing for Laila Anderson
ST. LOUIS -- Laila Anderson pointed the microphone at St. Louis Blues forward Alexander Steen. He had done plenty of interviews after winning the Western Conference championship on home ice that night, but this one was clearly the most meaningful.

"So tell me, Alex, what emotions are going through your head?" said the 11-year-old, her cherubic face beaming under a Blues snow cap.

"Good question," he said. "It's very special to do this in this town, and to have you here was even extra special."

"Thank you. I appreciate that," she said, before continuing the postgame interview on behalf of a local NBC affiliate. She asked Steen about facing former Blues captain David Backes, now a member of the Boston Bruins team awaiting them in the Stanley Cup Final.

"I understand you guys are friends," Anderson said, "but you gotta get aggressive out there."

Steen smiled. "But we got you. Our lucky charm."

Back in January, almost no one expected the St. Louis Blues to be playing for the Stanley Cup, as they had the fewest points of any team in the league. But even if they turned their season around, the odds felt insurmountable for her and her family that Laila Anderson would be healthy enough to watch one of their playoff games, given her condition.

Anderson is battling hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, or HLH, a life-threatening immune disease. Only 15 other children in the world have been diagnosed with it. In some ways, her battle with the disease -- diagnosis, treatment, surgery and recovery -- has run on a timeline parallel to the Blues' own comeback this season.

Their journeys intersected in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, when Laila's doctors cleared her to attend the playoff game. You've probably seen the video of her mother, Heather, surprising her with the news, creating a moment of tearful elation that went viral. They would attend Games 4 and 6, as well, celebrating with the team after the Blues advanced to the Final with a win over San Jose.

"I was instantly bawling. I can't believe we're here. And I can already taste that Stanley Cup," Laila said on Fox Sports Midwest after Game 6. "They've inspired me so much. But to hear from the players' mouths that I'm their inspiration in the past two games ... it instantly makes me cry."

But she is an inspiration, according to defenseman Colton Parayko, who has developed a friendship with Laila over the past several months to the point that she wears a jean jacket with her name and his number to the games.
Well, it seems the Blues are playing for a child with a life-threatening illness, which puts them on the side of the Angels. :freedom: :freedom: :freedom:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:04 am

THE BRUINS PLAY FOR AN EVEN MORE UNFORTUNATE KID ANAX!!1!!!

!

here accompanied by His Merciful Dark Hoodie which . . . maybe . . . was not a good idea. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:09 am

The kid in the green shirt? The professional wrestler?
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:19 am

hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis

I feel like the name of the disease is also a description of what it is.

"hemo" means blood.
"phago" mean a virus.
"cytic" is to do with cells.

"lympho" means the lymph nodes.
"histio" I'm not sure about that one.
"cytosis" would be some kind of disease of the cells.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 am

I believe the large one next to His Merciful Dark Hoodie is the one who is mentally retarded. I heard an interview with his father.

All jokes aside, I must admit I have never been a fan of such things: parading out some unfortunate for the "LOOK! OUR TEAM SUPPORTS SPAZZES!" Seems exploitative. I would prefer if it just happened without all of the publicity. The whole "this is for Gerry the Geek" means what when the team loses? They did not care enough about meduloblastoma, trisomy 21, a dropped from the basin enough to play harder?

I know.

It makes people happy. It makes the people who are afflicted very happy, so I let it slide. It still has a taste of "Root for the BLUES! They have a REAL tragic case they play for! Not like the Bruins! He's just a retard!"

Or at least that is how the media tends to focus it.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 am

Yeah, I can see the cynical point of view. I kinda think the publicity aspect is probably unavoidable though because the sports media just has to cover it. It's a no-brainer for them. Anything to get those ol tear ducts a workout is a great sports story.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:19 am
"phago" mean a virus.
Means "eat."

--J.D.

P.S.
"hemo" means blood.
αἱµο- ✔️
"cytic" is to do with cells.
✔️
"lympho" means the lymph nodes.
FAIL "lymphocytes"
"histio" I'm not sure about that one.
"tissue" ἱστό-ς usually combined with another such as "cyte" as in "histiocyte."
"cytosis" would be some kind of disease of the cells.
FAIL The term "cytosis" was recently as in the 1960s coined to describe a process such as "endocytosis" which is movement into the cell. The "-osis" can also refer to a pathological process. However, it also means, as in this case, a proliferation.

hemophagocytic-lymphohistiocytosis

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 am
Yeah, I can see the cynical point of view. I kinda think the publicity aspect is probably unavoidable though because the sports media just has to cover it. It's a no-brainer for them. Anything to get those ol tear ducts a workout is a great sports story.
But then I feel like the bastard who bitches about kids hunting for Easter eggs. It is not her fault or any of the kids fault. For the retarded young man, this was his first time at a Bruins game since no one can afford these things, let alone a playoff game. Then His Merciful Bill Belichick hands him the flag. Same with this girl. I am sure she did not seek the publicity.

It is kind of the silly need for "feel good" as in the Powers of the Universe actually give a shit about you. I joke somewhat about how SPORTS are fundamentalist religions since only a bat felching heretic could root for the Jets, for example. Like such, we ["We?"--Ed.] Hapless Slobs like to think we have some influence. And if MY TEAM connects with some tragedy, then MY TEAM DESERVES TO WIN MORE THAN YOUR TEAM ANAX HERETIC BAT FELCHER with TENTACLES!

Still, as a religion, sometimes sports can make people feel better. Same as the 2013 Red Sox. It is escapism, of course, but sometimes that is what can help us from dwelling on tragedies. For the parents of this girl, her smiling is enough and I am sure they could give a shit if even a Humble--Yet MagNIfIcent--Cynical Bastard blithers about it.

Of course, none of this applies to moi. Running about in my tighty-whities allowed Big Papi to hit a first pitch grand slam when the Red Sox were down by four runs with two outs in the 8th. Vigorously changing the channels then enduring I AM KIROCK caused Matt Ryan to keep dropping back 11 repeatedly.

There is no rational explanation for "Win? Nyaah! I'll pass!" Even my pantsu are not that powerful.

In the rain.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:30 am

I have no idea why people think Boston fans are obnoxious.

#EndtheDrought

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 am

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:42 am

That was some serious bullshit and I'm certainly not a Boston fan.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 am

Yup.

Hope the checks cleared. Not only do they disallow an obvious goal obvious on replay, they all miss a clear penalty. I love how the Blues player stood up and stopped knowing he was going to get called. But he did not. The funny thing is, up to then, I was just Angry Fan Disappointed MY LOCAL TEAM Not Winning.

Now I know this is the Tainted Series.

Where is Anax so I can remind him that the Jets suck more than his Mom?

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:33 pm

I don't know if I would go full on conspiracy mode on this, but I understand why a fan would say it in reference to their team.

I think this continues to show that modern sports need to completely overhaul the referee system. This failing isn't just in hockey; it's also in basketball, football, baseball, and every other sport. I think tennis is the only modern sport that has been able to augment their refs/judges with technology successfully. The rest have not done nearly enough. There is absolutely no reason that an official can't be looking at a camera and stop the play when an egregious penalty takes place. Modern technology makes it possible like never before.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh I think the refs simply fucked up.

There is an arrogance, and it takes fuck ups like this to change. See the NFL after fighting His Merciful Dark Hoodie on the point for years now changing the rules to review all plays after the Faints got royally screwed.

They then did not call a clear retaliation on Marchand having watched the miss call replayed over and over on "the big board."

The worse remains the NBA which never accepted that, yes, their refs did fix games and shave points.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:52 am

--J.D.

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:18 am

Game 7. Hopefully it will be one for the ages. :)
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:11 am

If Big Z raises the Cup, it will be.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:20 am

Ronin wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm
Although true I believe a couple of those teams will be in "rebuilding mode" soon. Brady turns 34 in a couple of months, a fact that can't be ignored for the Patriots (and I am sure they haven't been; it seems to be a well run organization). I also think the Celtics will be in that mode soon. Rondo's young at 25, they might build around him and Davis....Pierce will be 34(!) this year, Ray Allen's fixing to be 36, Garnett is 35.
What?

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:15 am

From within a bunker somewhere, Tim Thomas laughs.

Cue the "Pukka Rask Haters."

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 am

But unlike the Cowardly Cunt who started this thread so long ago, I am here.

--J.D.