Lakers vs. Celtics

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Doctor X wrote:That is so last week . . . this week we blame Cassell.

--J.D.
Is next week Pierce's turn?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:09 am

If you make it that far. . . .

--J.D.

P.S. Yeah . . . I know . . . but it reminds me of a story Bill Simmons told about an Angels fan in 2004
The classic Anaheim fan story: Hench and I were walking into the stadium and doing the "Let's go Sox!" routine every time we walked by someone wearing a Sox hat or jersey. I mentioned how there were a surprising number of Boston fans walking around, followed by Hench joking that the number of Angels fans at Friday's game at Fenway would either be zero or zero. So some Stepford fan turns around as sneers, "You gotta get there first!"

Um . . . what? Apparently the chip in his skull was malfunctioning.

"We're up 1-0 in a five-game series," Hench said. "I'm pretty sure we're making it to Game Three."

The Stepford fan came back with some "You guys have been losers for 90 years" and "1918!" material about 20 seconds too late. I think they immediately returned him to the factory for repairs. Reason no. 33, 452 why I'm glad the Sox won the 2004 World Series: Not having to deal with losers like that anymore.

Now I Can Die in Peace
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:13 am

it's a bitch dr. x when you want to talk BBall and we're trying to decide whether to wear pants or not
Posted on a blog.

Really not relevant, but I thought it was funny.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:29 am

Doctor X wrote:If you make it that far. . . .

--J.D.

P.S. Yeah . . . I know . . . but it reminds me of a story Bill Simmons told about an Angels fan in 2004
The classic Anaheim fan story: Hench and I were walking into the stadium and doing the "Let's go Sox!" routine every time we walked by someone wearing a Sox hat or jersey. I mentioned how there were a surprising number of Boston fans walking around, followed by Hench joking that the number of Angels fans at Friday's game at Fenway would either be zero or zero. So some Stepford fan turns around as sneers, "You gotta get there first!"

Um . . . what? Apparently the chip in his skull was malfunctioning.

"We're up 1-0 in a five-game series," Hench said. "I'm pretty sure we're making it to Game Three."

The Stepford fan came back with some "You guys have been losers for 90 years" and "1918!" material about 20 seconds too late. I think they immediately returned him to the factory for repairs. Reason no. 33, 452 why I'm glad the Sox won the 2004 World Series: Not having to deal with losers like that anymore.

Now I Can Die in Peace
Los Angeles has what I like to call "Hollywood Fans" which is like a Fair Weather fan except they know jack shit about the sport nor the team they are rooting for.

clarsct

Post by clarsct » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 am

Is it over yet?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:46 am

Grammatron wrote: Los Angeles has what I like to call "Hollywood Fans" which is like a Fair Weather fan except they know jack shit about the sport nor the team they are rooting for.
Plus, you have all those stars, so ABC doesn't have to show those annoying replays. Isn't it better to see Spielberg taking a picture of himself than having to sit through a play you just saw?
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 am

They were like that with two football teams. They treated their "native" team like shit for so long--called them the "Lambs"--that I was happy the Rams won in St. Louis after the move.

Though the best came on a Patriots podcast: "Deep . . . GONE!"--Mike Lowell hits a HR!
Caller: I've been a Patriots fan since 2001!

Tom Cassale: Good timing.
Funny, regarding Mike Lowell, during a rain delay a guy calls the radio--a true "Sawx Fan"--blaming the offensive slump of the time on Mike Lowell . . . who was not playing since he was on DL. "We shudda nevah resigned him! We coulda got A-Rod!"

Fair weather fans. He got reamed by about every next caller.

Though the worse was the old drunk guy who claimed the Red Sox should trade Julio Lugo for Scott Kazmir.

"Do not waste my time," the finally infuriated host responded.

Now how many fans have dug their Celtics gear out of the closet? I am pleased I can fit into my old Cs shirt. Pays to exercise.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:41 am

Evolver wrote:
Grammatron wrote: Los Angeles has what I like to call "Hollywood Fans" which is like a Fair Weather fan except they know jack shit about the sport nor the team they are rooting for.
Plus, you have all those stars, so ABC doesn't have to show those annoying replays. Isn't it better to see Spielberg taking a picture of himself than having to sit through a play you just saw?
My favorite is Denzel with a NY Yankee cap at an LA game.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:15 am

Wow, these refs have balls. With all the publicity over handing the 2002 playoffs to the Lakers, they start the game with a string of bad calls & bad non-calls, all leaning toward L.A.

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:52 am

!

--J.D.

P.S. Biggest comeback/choke in NBA finals history.

ck

Post by ck » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:53 am

:shock:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:55 am

Ouch.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:04 am

Let Us Review the Catechism:

1. Lakers had the single biggest 1st Quarter lead in NBA Finals history: 24
2. Lakers had 18 point lead at the half.
3. Lakers had a 20 point lead with 7:00 to go in the third.

CHOKE!!!

4. No team has ever overcome a lead greater than 14 at the half in the Finals in the shot-clock era.
5. Greatest single comeback in NBA Finals history.
6. IN THEIR HOUSE!!!1!!!

--J.D.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:59 am

M. V. Pierce!!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 am

Grammatron wrote:Ouch.
Kudos for taking it well.

I was using my neighbor's cat to locate wall studs in the first half. . . .

--J.D.

P.S.

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 am

Awesome...
I says at halftime...Lakers will not score 100 points...
Where will kobe be next year?
Of course it ain't over till its....
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:31 pm

izittrue wrote:Awesome...
I says at halftime...Lakers will not score 100 points...
Where will kobe be next year?
Of course it ain't over till its....
Indeed as Cleveland and MFYs fans will tell you.

However, you had more faith than 99% of C and L fans. Seriously.

--J.D.

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Well I think the Lakers got caught up with the fact they dominated and can do anything they want..Celtics dug deep and showed what a great defense they have..
As we all know better pitching beats better hitting...
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Kobe's post-game comments
An hour had passed before Kobe Bryant offered his thoughts on the Lakers' epic collapse in their 97-91 loss in Game 4, and all he could come up with was an invitation to drink - as if Lakers fans all around the Southland hadn't already gone there.

"A lot of wine, a lot of beer, a couple of shots, maybe like 20 of them," he said. "Digest it, then get back to work (today)."
20 shots? I'll bet he misses at leat 14 of them.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 pm

That, and I was going to write that the Cs in the first quarter could not find the basket the way some cannot find their own assholes with a flashlight and Bruce to give directions. Could not "blame the refs" for the fact that balls miss the hoop!

You are correct, the defense people wondered about showed up to keep them in the game then shut them down in the third quarter. Still, I did not think they were going to get over the hump--as Bill Simmons puts it in his "diary" of the game--thought the Lakers would hold on as the Cs did when they let the Lakers back into Game 2.

Linkypoo

--J.D.