1 Down, 15 to go

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Re: 1 Down, 15 to go

Post by Bearguin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:46 pm

1 More.

Here's hoping I'm somewhere where I can watch the games Monday. Apparently not outside of Grand Coulee.

But the dam light show was cool.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:43 am

Can someone check on Bearguin and make sure he hasn't hung himself in his closet?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 am

I did not post because I was busy when the Bruins went down 0-2 to Montreal then came back.

Firm believer in sports superstitions, I have not posted since.

That being written, like the NBA finals, the classier team won.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:10 am

Hey Doc, where's the Bruins smiley?
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:45 am

Been lookin' . . . will find one.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 am

Though searching brought up:

. . . which is significant.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:11 am

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 am

Vancouver Explodes into Riots

Stay classy Vancouver. . . .

--J.D.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 am

A discussion on another site brought up that one suggestion for the name of the team moving to Winnepeg was "The Poohs" (Winnie The Pooh was created there).

Unfortunately, the idea of white uniforms with a brown stripe on the back has already been taken by Luongo.

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 pm

"Lebrongo" has been a name tossed around.

More sympathy would have been accorded to him if he had not been so cocky.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Grammatron wrote:That was a solid beatdown. But I'm not convinced they learned how to not choke in playoffs yet.
Called it.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Interesting. I would have called it a Bruins choke in that they "coulda, shoulda" won Game 1, 2 and 5. Any of them.

But they did not. After the lost of Game 2, even some homers called the series. Were they going to win EVERY game at home? Even with the beat-downs, the loss of Game 5 suggested that the same damn thing would happen in Game 7--a one point game where Vancouver wins. THAT would have been seen as a Bruins choke. You were "in" every game, and Vancouver was destroyed in every Boston game. "You were da betta team!" but a 1-0 loss is a loss is a loss. Just ask the MFYs who won "Game 3" [Tm.--Ed.] 19-8.

Perhaps Vancouver choked in Games 3, 4, and 6? Their method of playing--cheap shots--and the asswipe SHOULD have been suspended for The Bite--whining about the ice, whining about where Thomas played, did not help their "spirit." The Horton hit definitely galvanized Boston.

I quote quite a few who know more about hockey than I [All of them.--Ed.] that this was a "Bizarro" series.

Vancouver came into the series something like 989-1 on scoring on the Power Play. I think the Bruins were less physical in Games 1 and 2 out of fear of that. Meanwhile, the Bruins were 0-1,347 on the Power Play. More than one pundit wondered if it was possible to GET to the Finals having never scored a PP goal. And the Bruins had a few PPs. It is not like "those damn refs!" were screwing them. Said pundits wondered if, like in the NFL, the Bruins could defer penalties!

Yet, in this series, not only did the Bruins score on the PP--okay . . . not that you would call them "dominant" but, you know, you have to start somewhere!--they scored short-handed. Vancouver could NOT score on the PP.

Now as much as I now enjoy piling on "Lebrongo"--one Boston commentator during the riot suggested the police needed to toss the crowd Luongo to appease them--"We WANT BARABBAS!"--his teammates did not exactly help him. One of the Wonder Twins hurt him on the second goal.

Both teams had "bad luck"--clear shots hitting the sides/crossbars. I saw a montage of that which "woulda, coulda, shoulda" changed an earlier game--0-0 games that, like, makes a difference. May have changed the momentum in Boston, for example, if Vancouver got a first goal or made it 1-1.

Meanwhile, EVERYONE wanted "Clowd's" head--Talking Heads mock the pronunciation with a severity directly proportional to the anger--fired. Granted, it was Tito FranCOMA even AFTER 2004. I mean, what should have happened was Claude should have been fired after the coughing up a 3-0 lead last year, AND trade Thomas to . . . Philly? Because, you know, Thomas was "washed up" and there was this "New Thing" to play in goal. In fact, Talking Heads are joking about it as I compose about how they all argued that "they" were paying Thomas too much and needed to trade him to get his value.

And the Bruins would have suffered another decade or so of FAIL.

The "luck" involved in these things remains extraordinary. Claude's coaching actually helped. Thomas? Trade him? HAD Grady Little pulled Pedro AND the RS won the 2003 ALCS, they would have been "stuck" with Little--and lost the WS to the Marlins. Let us be real. Further, HAD they got A-Fraud they would not have gotten Dave Roberts. HAD they kept NOMAAAAA . . . they do not get Dave Roberts. Heck, firing Little and getting Fran"coma" convinced Schilling to come over, and Francona convince the ownership that "hey, guys? We need this thing called a 'bullpen.' Maybe a 'closer.' Ever hear of Keith Faulke?"

HAD the Celtics not freakishly FAIL'd in the lottery, they would not have had a "Big Three" and Ball Hogging Rapist would have been asking Shaq how his ass tasted. Fans and Talking Heads screamed about that lottery.

Sometimes the best thing is not getting what you want?

I will be firm, only utter Homers expected the Bruins to win a Stanley Cup. Most wanted the coach fired, Thomas traded. They wanted the front office lynched for not doing that. So, coming to the play offs, the suggestion was unfortunately made that "getting out of the second round" would be an achievement. That did it. If they failed in the first round--fire them all! IF they failed in the second round--at least fire "Clowd." When the Bruins dropped the first two--at home--to Montreal . . . that did it. "Change the lines!"

Have to give credit to them to sticking to "The Plan" even if "The Plan" seemed worthy of Wile E. Coyote at times.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I heard someone on the radio make that comment . . . it passed by . . . no one "touched it." I would not even want to imagine how the hell they would explain it.

Still . . . hilarious!

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Not going to lie, pretty jealous of Boston. It has to be the current-day Sports Town USA. Championships in all four major sports in the past six year. That's a lot of great fucking parties.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Well, you have "young'uns" who never lived through the long periods of FAIL. I agree with some that a lot of credit goes to the NE Patriots for changing the attitude of not just fans--"if the Pats can do it"--but of ownership. As I have pontificated previously, much of the "curse" of the Red Sox was its racist owners who really did not give a shit about the fans or the club. Bob Kraft legitimately loved the team, always wanted it, and made his moves to prevent the Pats from moving. The "carpet baggers"--as the Curly Headed Boyfriend described them between bouts of eating his excrement--who bought the RS wanted the team to succeed. It was not just a "good investment." They made moves Tom "Get Those N[CENSORED--Ed.]rs Off My Field!" Yawkey never would have made, nor his "trust" run by his senile wife and cronies. They had to go.

The Bruins suffered the same way until recently with regards to ownership and general management.

People laugh at Bill Belichick's [PBUH--Ed.] interviews and press conferences: he seems to regard ALL information as classified. However, one thing he will never do is criticize a player or allow his players to criticize a player. It has been clear he has "lost it" with specific players--who seem to disappear and wash up in Tennessee or, worse, Oakland--but he will never say it, and the players will not either. This has translated to the Red Sox. Now Tito is Tito, but there is very little of the public sniping. Bad enough to have the press hand it to you when you suck: you do not need your teammates and coach do the same. This is not insignificant--the RS coined the concept of "24 players and 24 taxis." Somehow Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers made PRIMA donas like Rondo and Pierce work together. On that note, Doc, literally, pointed to the success of the Pats and RS which sort of helps push home the "play as a team" concept. I am not sure it would have worked without that precedence.

Not to tip my cap to the CHEATING FAKERS!!!1!! but consider the difference between them and the Slippers--the owner of the Slippers does not give a shit. He does not care. He just wants to make enough for a profit. He is lucky to be in a big enough city that it is hard for him to NOT make money--the Mets of LA. Meanwhile, it was clear the FAKERS!!!11! were willing to obtain pieces they needed to win, even if it cut into profits. Winning generates a shit-load more money than losing! They know this.

--J.D.

Ronin

Post by Ronin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Grammatron wrote:Not going to lie, pretty jealous of Boston. It has to be the current-day Sports Town USA. Championships in all four major sports in the past six year. That's a lot of great fucking parties.
Although true I believe a couple of those teams will be in "rebuilding mode" soon. Brady turns 34 in a couple of months, a fact that can't be ignored for the Patriots (and I am sure they haven't been; it seems to be a well run organization). I also think the Celtics will be in that mode soon. Rondo's young at 25, they might build around him and Davis....Pierce will be 34(!) this year, Ray Allen's fixing to be 36, Garnett is 35.

I'm in Oklahoma so the closest sports teams have usually been Dallas. We've just had a good year for basketball, but I'm just as likely to follow the Thunder these days, although I grew up a Mavs fan. It was nice after that loss to the Heat several years ago, and seeing them choke almost as bad as the Canucks just did here. Football? Not going to talk about that. I don't even really like the Cowboys.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am

Doctor X wrote:Well, you have "young'uns" who never lived through the long periods of FAIL. I agree with some that a lot of credit goes to the NE Patriots for changing the attitude of not just fans--"if the Pats can do it"--but of ownership. As I have pontificated previously, much of the "curse" of the Red Sox was its racist owners who really did not give a shit about the fans or the club. Bob Kraft legitimately loved the team, always wanted it, and made his moves to prevent the Pats from moving. The "carpet baggers"--as the Curly Headed Boyfriend described them between bouts of eating his excrement--who bought the RS wanted the team to succeed. It was not just a "good investment." They made moves Tom "Get Those N[CENSORED--Ed.]rs Off My Field!" Yawkey never would have made, nor his "trust" run by his senile wife and cronies. They had to go.

The Bruins suffered the same way until recently with regards to ownership and general management.

People laugh at Bill Belichick's [PBUH--Ed.] interviews and press conferences: he seems to regard ALL information as classified. However, one thing he will never do is criticize a player or allow his players to criticize a player. It has been clear he has "lost it" with specific players--who seem to disappear and wash up in Tennessee or, worse, Oakland--but he will never say it, and the players will not either. This has translated to the Red Sox. Now Tito is Tito, but there is very little of the public sniping. Bad enough to have the press hand it to you when you suck: you do not need your teammates and coach do the same. This is not insignificant--the RS coined the concept of "24 players and 24 taxis." Somehow Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers made PRIMA donas like Rondo and Pierce work together. On that note, Doc, literally, pointed to the success of the Pats and RS which sort of helps push home the "play as a team" concept. I am not sure it would have worked without that precedence.

Not to tip my cap to the CHEATING FAKERS!!!1!! but consider the difference between them and the Slippers--the owner of the Slippers does not give a shit. He does not care. He just wants to make enough for a profit. He is lucky to be in a big enough city that it is hard for him to NOT make money--the Mets of LA. Meanwhile, it was clear the FAKERS!!!11! were willing to obtain pieces they needed to win, even if it cut into profits. Winning generates a shit-load more money than losing! They know this.

--J.D.
Spot on.

It was surprising that Jacobs changed his attitude.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:35 pm

He will probably cite the salary cap and have a bit of a point. Just listening to discussions on fandom. The Bruins were, for many years now, the "4th Team" in Boston with some wags joking that if the NE Revolution [Soccer Team--Ed.] ever actually won a Whatever Cup it would push them to 5th. Bandwagoning and "Pink Hats" are certainly part of it. As they Talking Heads reviewed, in 1991, the Patriots were the LEAST attended team in the NFL and were slated to move to St. Louis. The RS had their woes and when Doc was allowing the Cs to go for the Draft Lottery, I am not sure many attended their games either.

However, part of it is ease. Going to games in NE are a chore. Okay, access to the Garden is not so bad if you take public, but Fenway . . . start walking. Foxborough? Picture Lawrence of Arabia trying to take Aqaba by glacier! It has taken a lot of improvements and three championships to convince people to make THAT pilgrimage.

More fans stay home and watch a game on television--if you are in NE--or buy a "package"--if you are rich and monomaniacal!--or listen to the radio/internet streams. Now, baseball is the easiest to do that. Most people have played baseball at some time. The rules are simple. It is slow enough so you can listen and know what is happening. Even if you watch it, you can do the same thing. Occasionally, there will be "bases loaded" and you have to jump around a bit before you can run to the bathroom!

Similarly with football. Harder to follow--unless you really played football--but slow enough.

Basketball and Hockey are different. I cannot follow either on radio. With basketball, it is a bit more intuitive--guys going in one direction, try to shoot, make it or miss. Sometimes there is a steal.

Hockey? How the hell you follow that on a radio?

So you have to buy a television package to follow a team. Well . . . good luck! You have to actually watch it. I have written papers during baseball games--"There's a pitch. . . ." I never taught the class I was suppose to teach whilst my head was between my legs in ACLS 2004 . . . but that was a special case. I looked down briefly in Game 7--because the DEVIL Rays were walking Gonzales to pitch to YOUK--looked up to see the Bruins celebrating goal 3. Youk homered right after that, incidentally, and you had the Radio Dudes cheering both. People started calling, I did my Goal Dance in my tighty-whities . . . I made bail at about 11 in time to go to a bar after getting some pants.

But I digress.

So unless hockey is your sport, unless you are dedicated--or you are Canadian and, well, do not actually have any other sports--it is harder to follow. Add that your team SUCKS . . . there you go. This is what the Bruins faced--a lot of fans not willing to make the effort to follow them because the team did not seem to make the effort to earn it. The RS and even Patriots had that attitude. Fans--save the utter closet cases--have only so much time. So, to get back to your point, I think Jacobs realized his team had not only fallen to 4th, he had fallen hard. He had a sport that requires effort to follow at all. One sports guy at the beginning of the season had a "contest" of asking callers to name a Bruin--"no, Bobby Orr is NOT playing!" I would have been one of them.

THEN the Bruins suffered what the RS and Pats had--a humiliating defeat. This has been the most successful few years for the Bruins--making the playoffs, having a chance. But like they crashed in burned, most recently in a fashion that caused Yankees fans to send sympathy cards. Exchanges like this became common:
RS: Yankees suck!

MFY: 27 Championships! 27!

RS: *Makes Choking Signs* 2004! . . . cough . . . gag . . . 2004! Greatest Choke in History!

MFY: 2010!! Bigger Choke!

RS: What?

MFY: Your hockey team . . . choked . . . led a series 3-0 and lost. Heck, you had a something-something lead in Game 7 and CHOKED!

RS: Who?

MFY: Your hockey team . . . the Boston . . . Boston . . .

RS: Really? Oh yeah . . . the Boston . . . Boston . . .

MFY: . . . well, they sucked.

RS: Guess so. You want to come over to my place?

MFY: Thought you'd never ask.
So . . . I like to think reality set in for Jacobs. He lacked the benefit of "casual fans." He saw himself as a "4th Team" and finally clued in.

--J.D.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Maybe Jacobs will now understand that winning is more lucrative than losing.

What happened to Bearguin?