Anyone want to play fantasy baseball?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Anyone want to play fantasy baseball?

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

We could set up a Yahoo league if there's enough people interested.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Anyone want to play fantasy baseball?

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Problem is I do not know much about how to play it--nor sure I may have the time since, unlike NFL, it happens every day.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:22 am

It's not very hard.

I haven't played in the last couple years, but you can be as hands-on or hands-off as you want.

We can have an automatic draft. You can even just use the default list for drafting.

In the simplest, easiest version "rotisserie" you compete in 5 offensive and 5 pitching categories.

By default they are batting average, home runs, rbis, runs and SBs for batters and wins, ERA, WHIP, Ks and saves for pitchers.

The only thing you really have to pay attention to is to make sure all your starting players are healthy and not on the DL. Also make sure that your starting pitchers are in the starting lineup on the days when they start. (and your best relievers in the starting lineup every day if possible).

If you are more hands-on you can propose trades and look for favorable match ups, but in my experience it doesn't help all that much. You just never know when a player is going to have a good game or bad game on any particular day.

It takes only a few minutes each day, and Yahoo makes it all pretty easy.

Here's the link to the fantasy baseball page:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention: you can set your lineups (starting players) for several days in advance so you actually don't have to make adjustments every day.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:57 am

I don't think enough people would be interested to get a league going, but I joined a public rotisserie league last year and came in second (out of 12 teams, although only about half were really trying for the whole season).

This is a really easy, low-time-commitment way to try it out. The easiest way to play is to join a public league, and select rotisserie (not head-to-head) and autodraft. This is on Yahoo Fantasy Baseball and is free and easy to sign up for. If you already have a Yahoo account it's even easier. The autodraft is preferable to a live draft and you can still rank your players if you want to. You don't have to of course, and the default rankings reflect the conventional wisdom of "experts". But if you want more players from your home-town team, say, you can juice them up a few positions in the rankings. Then, when you are done ranking (which is optional) you click "ready to draft" and wait to be assigned to a league, which should happen within a day or two. I just set up a team for this season in 10 minutes, only futzing with the default rankings a little bit because I didn't want some players that disappointed me last year. But there's really not so much reason to change them at all.

Then during the season all you have to do is make sure you have the right guys on the roster on the right days, which it helps you do, e.g., it shows you when a starting pitcher is going to start, only takes a few minutes 3 or 4 times a week to check your roster for the next few days (you can plan as far ahead as you want) and make sure you have the right guys starting, and you don't have, say, a player who's injured in the starting spot.

Also you can propose trades if you want, but you don't really have to. If a player is injured or just not living up to your expectations you can drop him and pick up a free agent or waiver.

And of course, since it's a public league, if you are bored or don't have the time and don't want to play anymore you can just stop playing at any time and forget about it. Roughly half the players in public leagues tend not to make it to the end of the season.

ETA: Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-fanta ... 44428.html
William Shakespeare