Question for Boston Celtics fans

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Grammatron

Question for Boston Celtics fans

Post by Grammatron »

How do you feel about Doc Rivers leaving?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Question for Boston Celtics fans

Post by Doctor X »

How are those Lakers doing?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

More seriously, I really do not have an opinion. The problem is that the Celtics--and the Lakers--are in that terrible place: you make the playoffs, will get bounced in the first to second round at best. This means you WILL draft shit. Period. The one problem with the NBA is there is no such thing as a "deep draft." It is a star league as you know.

Teams can linger for decades in that spot.

So it became clear the "blow-up" was necessary. Get younger, suck a season or two, get some new decent players. Boston being a cold region, it does not naturally attract free agents such as Miami and LA can.

So . . . I do not know. As much as I love Doc he cannot make bricks without straw and paying him the top salary for a few years of suck? The next question the Cs have is whether or not Rondo is someone worth building around. THAT point is generating so much opinion I have no idea.

But . . . trust the Clippers to screw this up.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote:How are those Lakers doing?

--J.D.
Shitty with a very murky future.

And I would still take them over the Clippers because the ownership wants to pay for a team that can win not just show up.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

And that is a big difference I think I blathered about on another thread. The owner of the Clippers has zero interest. Cedric Maxwell--an entertaining "Talking Head" for Boston sports radio now, has LOTS to say about the FAIL that is the Clippers.

Which is a shame because it has nothing to do with the fans. Anyone can be a Laker fan as they can be a MFY fan or even RS fan and probably now Miami fan--welcome to the bandwagon. You have to love a team to be a Clipper fan. They deserve better.

--J.D.

Evolver

Post by Evolver »

To answer Grammatron's question: I'm on the fence. Doc has been a great coach. But the last few years he seems to have been coasting. Quite often he just seemed to allow his players to make decisions that should have been up to the coach. Things like Kevin Garnett refusing to get down low, and only playing the perimeter. Hell, the whole team was doing that for the past two years. Passing the ball around the 3 point arc until someone shoots when there is 1 second left is not a great game plan.

In Doc's defense, he is still well respected by players, something few can claim in this league of egotistical thugs. And I understand his reported dislike of Rajon Rondo. In 2008, Rondo blew people away with his no look passes and finesse moves. Since then, his game has been all about looking impressive rather than doing what it takes to win.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bran Shaw given a chance. But I'm not looking forward to watching a team rebuilding. In the NBA it has become too easy for players to go to cities where they can hang out in clubs all night and get lots of media attention. The rest of the league has to fight for scraps. And unless you really suck for a few years, there is little chance of picking up enough great players to compete for a championship (unless another team is run by one of your ex-players who has pretty much given up on his own team).
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

It appears that Celtics are in a full blow up mode.

I'm not sure why Doc left at this point. The team's core is new and he would be respected by the players coming in. Unless, of course, Rondo is as big of a pain in the ass as the rumor suggest. But, which NBA star isn't?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Does not want to coach a rebuilding team. A year or two of failure. He did it before so in that way he is better than Phil Jackson. Does not want to do it now.

As better NBA minds have noted, there are no "Cinderella Teams" in the NBA. There are great teams that can win a championship . . . and then there is everyone else.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote:Does not want to coach a rebuilding team. A year or two of failure. He did it before so in that way he is better than Phil Jackson. Does not want to do it now.
When Phil came back the second time to the Lakers, he was coaching a rebuilding team. But I get your point.
As better NBA minds have noted, there are no "Cinderella Teams" in the NBA. There are great teams that can win a championship . . . and then there is everyone else.

--J.D.
That's true, but then no one had Dallas as favorites 2 years ago.

izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Go Suns
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Who are they again?

izittrue

Post by izittrue »

I'm waiting for them to rise from the ashes. It's a dry heat.
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Should you not be a Bulls fan?

--J.D.

izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Didn't get into basketball till '76. Lived in Scottsdale then. My first pro game was the Celtics-Suns finals. Not the triple OT but a game the suns actually won. Ever since then I've been hooked on Phoenix. Go figure all those great Jordan years I was going for Barkley and the Suns. Chicago sports fan in every other sport but the NBA.
Will Rogers -