Johnny Manziel was paid to sign autographs. So what?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Johnny Manziel was paid to sign autographs. So what?

Post by Anaxagoras »

Report: Broker says Johnny Manziel was paid $7,500
While the NCAA investigates a report that Johnny Manziel accepted a "five-figure flat fee" with an autograph broker for signing memorabilia, ESPN reported another broker paid Manziel cash for signing approximately 300 mini and regular-sized helmets on Jan. 11.

The latest ESPN report, citing a broker who spoke on the condition of anonymity, claims Manziel was paid $7,500 while signing memorabilia on Jan. 11-12 while attending the Walter Camp Football Foundation in New Haven, Conn.
. . .
NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 prohibits players from accepting money for promotion or sale of a product or service.
I don't see why this is a problem. The rule should be abolished IMHO.

Although Jason Whitlock points out that nobody cared when black players like Reggie Bush were punished for accepting benefits.
Fairness, to me, would not be Manziel being treated the way the NCAA and its media collaborators have treated poor, rule-bending black athletes for years. The NCAA and its volunteer media police force have used black athletes for financial gain and career advancement for too long.

I stand in defense of Manziel with the same conviction I stood in defense of Reggie Bush. In this era of TV-money-saturated college football and basketball, the NCAA rule book is outdated, immoral and ripe for abolishment.

Once again, let me remind you of the words written by the white, conservative architect of the modern NCAA, the organization’s former, longtime president, Walter Byers:

“Today the NCAA Presidents Commission is preoccupied with tightening a few loose bolts in a worn machine, firmly committed to the neo-plantation belief that the enormous proceeds from college games belong to the overseers (administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may only receive those benefits authorized by the overseers.”

Maybe Johnny Football will help America deal with the reality Byers spelled out in stark terms in 1997.
. . .
Unfortunately, it takes a victim who looks like Manziel for the masses to fully grasp unfairness. It took Manziel’s autographs for the masses to understand a point Jay Bilas has been making relentlessly on Twitter for at least the last two years. The NCAA can profit off Manziel’s name and fame, but Manziel can’t? Really?

It’s way past time for a new NCAA rule book and policies that make football and basketball players feel less financially exploited. Most people — regardless of color, family background or economic status — respect rules based in fairness. Manziel is no different from Newton or Bush. The only difference is America’s largely sympathetic reaction to Manziel’s NCAA problems.
BTW, if you haven't yet seen the South Park episode Crack Baby Athletic Association, which parodies this issue, I recommend.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Re: Johnny Manziel was paid to sign autographs. So what?

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote: Although Jason Whitlock points out that nobody cared when black players like Reggie Bush were punished for accepting benefits.
That's horseshit. There's only one color that matters in this and that color is green.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well, OK. The race aspect is just something I mentioned in passing. I think there might be something to it, but I'm not going to argue the point.

What do you think about the central question? Should college athletes be allowed to use their fame to make money such as by signing memorabilia?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote:Well, OK. The race aspect is just something I mentioned in passing. I think there might be something to it, but I'm not going to argue the point.

What do you think about the central question? Should college athletes be allowed to use their fame to make money such as by signing memorabilia?
I think College Football, and Basketball, should be just Minor League.

The whole thing is a farce and all the programs, and players, do shit until they get caught and penalized or go pro.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

It has become a joke, but the players do get a free ride to college. What they do with that is their own business.

The "fluff" is that "Johnny Football" is either the Second Coming of Luck or Tebow--one way or the other. Being a dumbass, he has behaved badly such that he could ruin his career before it gets started. No one gave a shit about Reggie Bush because everyone knew Reggie Bush had about 3-4 years of a decent career. Such is the nature of running backs.

It is "all about the money, boys!"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand »

Anaxagoras wrote:Report: Broker says Johnny Manziel was paid $7,500
While the NCAA investigates a report that Johnny Manziel accepted a "five-figure flat fee" with an autograph broker for signing memorabilia, ESPN reported another broker paid Manziel cash for signing approximately 300 mini and regular-sized helmets on Jan. 11.

The latest ESPN report, citing a broker who spoke on the condition of anonymity, claims Manziel was paid $7,500 while signing memorabilia on Jan. 11-12 while attending the Walter Camp Football Foundation in New Haven, Conn.
. . .
NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 prohibits players from accepting money for promotion or sale of a product or service.
I don't see why this is a problem. The rule should be abolished IMHO.
If the reports are true, he deserves to be sanctioned and punished. The rule is not exactly secret, and college football teams have lots of meetings about and forms players must sign acknowledging that they are aware of and understand such rules and they agree to abide by and be bound by them.

You may not like it, but you understand very well that it is designed to maintain some boundaries between the amateur status of college athletes and the professional status of those in the pro leagues. Sure, you can mock the boundary if you like, pointing out that free tuition, board, and housing, as well as numerous other perks, constitutes valuable consideration. I would not disagree. Nevertheless, those things are clearly allowed by the rules and are closely monitored. Whole schools and their teams have endured years of sanctions for violations of those rules (as a lifelong Alabama football fan, I am all too familiar with the sting of those sanctions when my team has been caught skirting the rules, as it should be sanctioned).

The rule prohibiting an individual player from benefiting financially outside the system is hardly unfair, and violations do cross the boundary between amateur and professional status. If Manziel accepted payment for signing autographs and helmets and mini helmets, then he fucked up and jeopardized his eligibility to continue to play as a college amateur. One thing he cannot claim is ignorance of the rules. If he did it, he did it knowingly and in flagrant violation of the NCAA rules. It was no coincidence that the alleged signings took place in the secrecy of a hotel room.

Full disclosure: as a Bama fan, I was stunned and floored when he single-handedly beat my team last fall, but hey, his doing so didn't stop it from earning a repeat National BCS title.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd