Is winning bullying?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Is winning bullying?

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 am

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.s ... plain.html
Texas high school coach Tim Buchanan benched his starters after only 21 plays, kept to a conservative ground game and even allowed the clock to run uninterrupted after halftime to hasten the final whistle. Still, his Bearcats won 91-0.

Now the coach is facing formal accusations of bullying.
What has happened to America?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Re: Is winning bullying?

Post by Grammatron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 am

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:04 am

Random idiot abuses policy that lacks sufficient discretion.

Sounds like nothing's happening--sounds like the same as it always is.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 am

Pyrrho wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.s ... plain.html
Texas high school coach Tim Buchanan benched his starters after only 21 plays, kept to a conservative ground game and even allowed the clock to run uninterrupted after halftime to hasten the final whistle. Still, his Bearcats won 91-0.

Now the coach is facing formal accusations of bullying.
What has happened to America?
The bad part. The sad part. Is that this happened in Texas.

But to be fair, anyone can file a complaint and once filed, it has to be addressed.

WTF ya gonna do.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 am

True enough, you can't judge based on the fact that someone complained. If there is a formal complaint policy, someone can complain that they don't like the coach's blue sweater. It doesn't mean suddenly the country has a thing against blue sweaters. What matters is whether frivolous complaints are settled with minimal fuss and resources.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:32 am

Of course the media likes to create fuss out of nothing.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Maybe they need to be in a tougher league?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:44 pm

scarlet_35 wrote:Just heard this on the radio, apparently his team averages 71 pts per game...that pretty much puts an end to the bullying charge in my opinion. He's a great coach, his team wins, maybe the other teams could learn something from him? There's a novel idea!
Bitch as the mommies* might, the worsestlyer insult that couch could have inflicted upon the players of the other team would be to tell his players to intentionally let them score.

* admittedly, it could have been a daddy but I'll put up a bitcoin# it wasn't.

# i don't really have a bitcoin to put up 'cause I lost the thumbdrive on which I stored it.

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Bullying has overtaken child abducting/molesting as the new witch hunt du jour.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:52 pm

scarlet_35 wrote:It's different when it's adults but adults can still be bullied...some of the teams were total assholes to us.
Don't make me quote Tom Hanks, scarlet. I swear I will so quote him if you force me.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 pm

scarlet_35 wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Maybe they need to be in a tougher league?
Maybe? I don't really know all that much about it and football really isn't my thing, I just happened to hear it on the radio. I'm not really sure what the parents expected the other team to do, stand still? ...
My guess is parental sour grapes at losing, with the kid in question being horrifically emabarrassed by mom and/or dad's behavior.

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Should have gone like this, losing QB tells team in the huddle "fuck this, we're walking off the field and forfeiting, and taking the ball with us for good measure. Coach doesn't like it he can go fuck himself with the aforementioned ball".

That would be some character building.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm

gnome wrote:Of course the media likes to create fuss out of nothing.
The media did indeed create the situation that fostered such idiocy in this case. If not for the past few years of the media bombarding us with hysterical accounts of rampant, out of control bullying and how it is a threat to your precious snowflake, then "bullying" wouldn't be the current bogeyman. The media creates these bogeymen, and then idiots like whoever filed the complaint in this case start seeing them everywhere. That's what bogeymen do. They infect every nook and cranny in your life and scare the Baby Goat Jesus out of you.

Congratulations, media. You win.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm

this idiot story just got mentioned on cnbc. Player's father filed lawsuit. somebody give him a richly-deserved atomic wedgie please.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:55 pm

The media gets a double-dip! They get to make a boogeyman out of bullying, school shootings, kids doing drugs, etc... scared news consumers demand zero tolerance policies... and then they get to have a whole new round of outrage reporting on the excesses of zero tolerance policies.

All with a total disregard for whether what they're reporting on is a good example of the outrage of the week.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 pm

gnome wrote:The media gets a double-dip! They get to make a boogeyman out of bullying, school shootings, kids doing drugs, etc... scared news consumers demand zero tolerance policies... and then they get to have a whole new round of outrage reporting on the excesses of zero tolerance policies.

All with a total disregard for whether what they're reporting on is a good example of the outrage of the week.
There's no entity "The Media" that is double dipping. On another hand, a tiny local story like this does not come out on a national stage without someone pushing it along.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:23 pm

There's not much point in being involved in sport unless you want to win, and you won't really win unless you're competing with people at or above your level.

My scratch lacrosse team, (mostly veterans and keen schoolboys who had never played before), went from division 8 to division 3 in six years, topping the division each year. Then we started to struggle and never quite made it into the second division, although we were close a couple of times. It was a whole heap more fun playing at that level than turning up for the weekly walkover and, even when we were trounced, everyone on the team gave everything they had to give.

Bullying? If you don't like losing, don't step into the ring; there'll always be somebody better than you.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Is winning bullying?

Never mind that. Is whining bullying? :BigGrin3:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:58 pm

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/spor ... uarterback
The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Conference had to cancel its football championship Friday after its quarterback was beaten up by rivaling team members. One of the quarterback's teammates attested to ESPN that the QB would not have been able to make it through the game with his injuries.

The game was supposed to be between Winston-Salem State University and Virginia State University, but officials canceled the game after Winston-Salem’s quarterback, Rudy Johnson, was “viciously beaten by one or more members of the Virginia State football team.”
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:15 pm

They're ready for the NFL!