Is winning bullying?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Is winning bullying?

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Child please:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

Doctor X wrote:Child please:

--J.D.
FTW
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Sochi 2014: Dutch speed skaters' utter dominance worries beaten rivals
• Claims that Netherlands' 23 medal haul is damaging sport
• UK Sport Director meets Dutch to improve British effort

Never mind total football - the Adler speed skating arena has witnessed total Oranje domination at this year's Winter Games.

After the Netherlands took their medal total to an extraordinary 23 of the total of 36 on offer in the sport in Sochi, the international federation has said it will look into the programme.

. . .

Rivals have complained that their dominance, which included a record number of gold medals in a single Games and a record four clean podium sweeps, is damaging the sport.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

Anaxagoras wrote:Sochi 2014: Dutch speed skaters' utter dominance worries beaten rivals

Never mind total football - the Adler speed skating arena has witnessed total Oranje domination at this year's Winter Games.

After the Netherlands took their medal total to an extraordinary 23 of the total of 36 on offer in the sport in Sochi, the international federation has said it will look into the programme.

. . .

Rivals have complained that their dominance, which included a record number of gold medals in a single Games and a record four clean podium sweeps, is damaging the sport.
Yeah.

I mean look at Canada winning both mens and womens hockey
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Bearguin wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Sochi 2014: Dutch speed skaters' utter dominance worries beaten rivals

. . .

Yeah.

I mean look at Canada winning both mens and womens hockey
Well, actually I have heard similar things about Hockey, particularly with the women, because only 2 teams are any good and the others aren't even competitive. I mean, take the Swiss for example, which won the bronze medal, so their the third best team. The US beat them 9-0.

That's a team sport though, while speed skating is individual, so I think it's different.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Does one fault a country for having better players?

American professional basketball demonstrated this with numerous "Dream Teams." They have lost once in like the last whenever Olympics when they did not take their opponents seriously. Regularly, the Americans would destroy opponents.

So . . . what do you do? Either you like the sport enough you have lots of people interested and you develop the talent--like Canada with Hockey and the US with basketball, or you do not field a team . . . or you concentrate on a niche sport and dominate.

I do not think curling is a sport. I am not saying it is "easy" or does not require "skill," but something fat people can do well is never a physical activity--a "sport." It is in the Olympics. So should I fault a country for fielding a team? If they made Poker an Olympic sport--ESPN has rather lucratively portrayed it as such for mutual benefit--"DAT's EASY! I could win DAT! I taking ma kids health care and gonna win me a WORLD STANLEY CUP!!11!"--would anyone fault the Usual Suspects of Poker from playing for a gold medal?

These are whiners. I do not have much respect for them. Losing sucks. But you cannot win if you do not risk losing. Being a Red Sox fan sucked for many years, then it was awesome, then it sucked, and last year it was awesome. Since even I do not expect them to win the next ten straight World Series, they will "suck" again when they lose. The further you get up the ladder, the more sucky it is to lose.

But that is the risk. And as Captain Kirk says, "Gentlemen! Risk . . . is . . . our . . . bus . . . NESS!"

So the US Hockey Team blew off their bronze medal game because they lost the chance for gold. Too bad. Their loss. I have had it explained that there are two women's hockey teams: 'Merica, 'Merica's Hat. Then countries sort of grab a few random girls, give them a stick, and say, "try not to embarrass themselves!" So I have been told by "Gentlemen skilled in these matters" that Olympic Women's Hockey is between those two teams. Silver is meaningless.

Okay. Well, 'Merica choked against a good team that had the ability to take advantage of "choking." If they do not want their silvers, they can donate them to, I do not know, Russia or something.

Are the Canadians--and Americans--"bullies" because other countries do not, for whatever reason, develop a women's hockey team? If 'merica loses totally interested in women's hockey, so it is just Canada field an actual team, winning 12-0 while the rest play for silver and gold, is that Canada's fault? Are they bullies?

No.

"Bullies" would be if 'merica could intimidate referees. Force other teams to play on NHL ice. Demand "best of three" series and all of that. Or Canada doing likewise should Sweden or someone look concerning. Forcing rule changes to their benefit. Playing dirty knowing the refs will turn a blind eye. Preventing funding and sponsorship.

Hell, there is talk the NHL really does not want to allow its players to play in South Korea. Now that should end the sport for that Olympics, but what if the IOC--being assholes themselves--says "fuck it." Is there a Canadian player not in the NHL?

Okay, so let us say Canada and the US sent amateurs. What if they beat the snot out of the "amateurs" from other countries.

Are they bullies?

The whole "point" of "The Miracle on Ice" was that the Russians were a professional team. So a bunch of plucky amateurs beat professional team skirting the rules. The Russians were "bullies."

Anyways, there are worse things . . . could be from Vancouver. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image