Empty Stadium Seats

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Empty Stadium Seats

Post by Rob Lister »

The NFL enters the first round of playoff games this weekend with soaring television ratings, billions of dollars in network TV contracts in their pocket and a nation of football fans who can't wait to hop on their couch and watch a weekend of games.

The league has never been a more popular viewing option. There's just one problem: Fewer people want to actually attend the games.

Paul Vigna and Geoff Foster discuss why NFL teams are having trouble selling Wild Card weekend playoff tickets.

In the latest evidence that the sports in-home viewing experience has possibly trumped the in-stadium one, ticket sales were slow for the first week of the National Football League's marquee stretch of games.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 0229263538

I've never been much for spending outrageous amounts of money for the privilege of sitting on a hard stadium seat, being barely able to see the majority of the field, enduring the cold, rain or snow, paying a twenty bucks for nachos and a soda, and getting my play commentary yelled at top volume from the drunks sitting all around me.

But that's just me.

I'd much rather watch it for free sitting on a comfy couch with a highly detailed and close-up view of every part of the field in perfectly climate control while snacking on [comparatively] free gedunk, listening to mostly thoughtful commentary from [usually] sober and intelligent analysts. And if I have to endure the occasional entertaining commercial during time-outs, I'm okay with that compromise.

Still, there's something to be said for the experience of going to the game. Just not enough to justify it.

I go to about one Norfolk Tides game a year. My SiL gets me front-row-over-the-dugout tickets for free. I can't NOT take advantage at least once a year. But the weather has to be nice or I'll give them away.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Re: Empty Stadium Seats

Post by Bruce »

I've never been interested in watching profession sports. Ever.

Boring.

Boring, boring, boring.

The way I see it, the rest of the world is simply catching up to my views.
I've never been much for spending outrageous amounts of money for the privilege of sitting on a hard stadium seat
Duh. And I've never understood the reason why anyone has. You're paying a lot of money to watch other people "play". Do you pay money to watch other people play video games? Do you pay money to watch your children play in the back yard? I understand the concept of paying money for the privilege of doing the playing, but not for watching other people play.

Paying to watch movies and TV shows is different. Those people are working. They are being paid big money to entertain you. I can even understand paying to watch WWF (as stupid as it is) because there are theatrics, a script, and it's designed to entertain. Sporting events are games. If you're going to tell me that they are also intended for entertainment, then I want to see the players dressed in funny costumes. I want to see second base explode when the player touches it. I want to see the players dodging bullets as they round the bases.

It blows my mind when people marvel about the "no hitter" baseball games. Wait.......you paid how much to watch a bunch of people in uniforms just.......stand there? Seriously? One dude throwing a ball and one dude swinging a bat and missing the ball? For how many hours? And you think that's awesome?

Here's what I find entertaining. The NFL has created a cartoon to try to get kids interested in football:

[youtube]3HfM-q7KbNA[/youtube]

This is utterly hilarious. They created a cartoon to get kids interested in football. In the cartoon, the kids get weapons and armor, fight bad guys with an assortment of magic and weapons, and they protect a "core" of some sort. They do pretty much everything you would expect in an entertaining children's cartoon......except play football.

:laugher:

:doglaugh:

And with that, I'm going to play Minecraft with my son. Today, we are learning how to use redstone circuits to power the mine cart roller coasters he created. After that, I'm taking him to swim team practice, where I pay money for time to train and enter the competition and not pay money to sit in the hard bleachers to watch it.
Such potential!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Two major problems have "come to a head": the games have become prohibitively expensive. Even shitty teams cost more than going to a MFY-RS game in either Fenway or the Toilet Bowl-II. It is one thing to "shell out" $100-$200 to see a baseball game. It is quite another to shell out $300-500. However, in smaller markets, MLB tickets are far less expensive. One could get you behind home plate for $50-100 depending on the night. Their useless laughing stock of a football team charged $350.

Now with baseball you have about 80 odd games to choose from. If you "love the game" you can plan ahead an pick a less-popular game. However, fan interest still play in: the DEVIL Rays notoriously cannot sell-out their games, even playoffs, unless it is RS and MFY fans buying up the tickets!

With the NFL you have only 8 games. The Powers That Be expect season ticket holders to pay for pre-season games with are about as useless as Lingerie Bowl games if the players were . . . well . . . hairy 300 lbs dudes. You have to be rich to regularly attend the NFL. Period. All these "blue collar" teams are myths at this point. Blue Collar is saving his pennies to make one game.

The second problem which has brought this to a head now is the weather. Unlike MLB, with the NFL you have to sort of pay attention. Unless you have very good seats, it is difficult to see what is happening. I was given "premium" seats "at the 50 yard line" in a very good stadium which means when the Pats were defending their goal or threatening in the Red Zone I could see shit.

"What about a huge-ass HD screen like Dallas?"

This is different from me watching on my huge-ass television at home how?

So I have to buy decent tickets to enjoy the game in a stadium where . . . unless it is a dome . . . we are now talking -fucking-50 degrees windchill for Green Bay. You want to sit in that? That is Fahrenheit; it is "Fuck! It's COLD!" in Celsius.

Now, way back, when watching on a tiny screen without numerous camera angles and instant replay, sure, go to the game.

I should also add in the Living Hell it Is to attend a sports game. In some cities, the stadium is "Fuck Far Away" such that you can forget public transportation as a realistic idea. Along with the traffic you then get to pay $50-100 to park your car a mile away. I lived about 2.5 miles from a Major Stadium. People parked near where I lived and walked.

Okay, it is Summer, take a walk.

Now it is -50 in the snow . . . start walking?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

WildCat

Post by WildCat »

I haven't been to a Bears game in years. Too fucking expensive, crappy end zone seats cost you $95. Used to be you could at least sneak in some beer, I once famously snuck in 17 bottles of Sierra Nevada in a winter coat I have that had no less than 13 pockets, now you practically get body cavity searched at the door. And parking is now $60, $40 if you park at the 31st St. lot and walk, it's over a mile away.

The East side of Soldier field is the expensive side, minimum seat price there is $300. This is the "Cadillac Club", you have access to the Cadillac Club from those seats with it's food and drinks. Notice I said "access", you still have to pay for the fucking food and drink and pay handsomely, $12 for a fucking Miller Lite. A huge percentage of those fans never even take their seats, they just sit in the Cadillac Club and watch on TV, if you watch a Bears game on TV note all the empty seats.

Fuck it, for the cost of attending a single Bears game I can buy DirecTV's Sunday Ticket and watch any game I want.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

On High Definition.

On a probably more comfortable seat.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Prices may go up locally. The team is paying $$$$$$$$ for 2 or 3 ex-coaches to not work, plus the staff.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

You owe Chud something like $10 million for the next three years?

A number of Talking Heads have stated that Josh McNotBelichickILikeTIM!els should pass. When he fails to win it will end his chance to ever be a head coach.

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Doctor X wrote:You owe Chud something like $10 million for the next three years?
$10.5 million.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... wns_h.html

Code: Select all

Since 2001, the Browns have gone through only one season (2008) without compensating a former head coach not to blow a whistle or design a game plan. By the end of 2016, they will have paid for 16 years of non-service from the pink-slipped six. 
A number of Talking Heads have stated that Josh McNotBelichickILikeTIM!els should pass. When he fails to win it will end his chance to ever be a head coach.

--J.D.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html

If he has any sense at all he'll pass.

Anyway, the point is that ticket prices are going up and up for a product here that is crap.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

newser wrote:In Green Bay, today's playoff game between the Packers and the 49ers could prove a little chilly for the visiting team: The temperature at kickoff is supposed to be negative 2. The AP notes that doctors are advising fans to drink warm fluids that are not of the alcoholic variety.
The temperature in my living room is expected to be 74 with a 0% chance of snow.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

Rob Lister wrote:
newser wrote:In Green Bay, today's playoff game between the Packers and the 49ers could prove a little chilly for the visiting team: The temperature at kickoff is supposed to be negative 2. The AP notes that doctors are advising fans to drink warm fluids that are not of the alcoholic variety.
The temperature in my living room is expected to be 74 with a 0% chance of snow.
You need to fix your ac unit.

Malfie Henpox

Post by Malfie Henpox »

It's because no one cares about NFL.

RCC

Post by RCC »

hammegk wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Nah. Lister likes it a bit toasty as he likes to lay around naked and jerk it to Aaron Rodgers.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

RCC wrote:
hammegk wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Nah. Lister likes it a bit toasty as he likes to lay around naked and jerk it to Aaron Rodgers.
Geez. What do you guys set your thermostats to? 74 is hardly 'toasty'. The part about Aaron is probably true.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

(Newser) – Hoping to attend Super Bowl XLVIII? No problem: All you need is around $2,700 bucks (for the worst possible seat, mind you) and the patience to navigate public transit (as driving/parking will be a nightmare). In case you're rich, the NFL's official used-ticket marketplace is selling front-row, 50-yard-line seats for $50,000, the Atlantic Wire reports. Or you could pool for a luxury suite—for a cool $1 million. The NFL said it raised ticket prices because A) New Yorkers are loaded and B) scalpers had been raising ticket prices so much, the Wall Street Journal reports.
http://www.newser.com/story/181033/wors ... -2700.html

It boggles the mind. But who am I to bitch? Supply and demand.
As for transportation, the NFL wants everyone to take buses and trains to the game, the New York Times reports. "This is going to be a national experiment," said a transportation expert in New York. "The high rollers are not used to riding a bus." At issue are the massive crowds expected to cross the Hudson River to East Rutherford, NJ, and the weeklong rush of 400,000 visitors. Still want to drive? Parking passes are going for $350 on eBay, and, for the first time, the Super Bowl will have no limo or taxi drop-off zones. So even billionaires will be bussing it, the Wire predicts, "to sit in their frost-covered $10,000 seat. Enjoy the game, everyone!"
It is insane. But I'm not a hater.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote:
RCC wrote:
hammegk wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Geez. What do you guys set your thermostats to? 74 is hardly 'toasty'. The part about Aaron is probably true.

Rob is right once again! I never set my thermostat to more than 65.
About that stereo

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

New Yorkers may be loaded, but do they really care about Seattle vs. Denver?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote:New Yorkers may be loaded, but do they really care about Seattle vs. Denver?
Doubtful.

hammegk

Post by hammegk »

Anaxagoras wrote:New Yorkers may be loaded, but do they really care about Seattle vs. Denver?
Just like the ncaa Final Four; just dumb luck if even 1 team is a favorite of yours.

See. be seen. attend alist functions.

RCC

Post by RCC »

All about saying you were there. If it were possible to verify I would wager the general level of football knowledge among those attending would be quite below average. You don't go to a Superbowl to see a game. You go to prove you can go. If they slipped in the Browns and Lions a lot of the people there wouldn't care or notice.

hammegk

Post by hammegk »

RCC wrote:
All about saying you were there. If it were possible to verify I would wager the general level of football knowledge among those attending would be quite below average. You don't go to a Superbowl to see a game. You go to prove you can go. If they slipped in the Browns and Lions a lot of the people there wouldn't care or notice.
Just give them more time with $1000/hr hookers.