Supernatural forces in play during sports events

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Supernatural forces in play during sports events

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

So say half of American football fans.

Half of American fans say 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
Washington Times
So do you say a little prayer during a pivotal play or wear lucky socks during a big game? You are not alone.

“Just ahead of the 2014 Super Bowl, 50 percent of sports fans see some aspect of the supernatural at play in sports, meaning they either pray to God to help their team, have thought their team was cursed at some point in time, or believe that God plays a role in determining the outcome of sporting events,” reports a new survey conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonpartisan, non-profit group based in the nation’s capital.

A fervent 26 percent of the respondents say they have prayed that “for God to help their team”, while an equal number have entertained the notion that their team was “cursed.”

The gridiron tends to bring out this behavior.

“Football fans are also more likely than other fans to say they pray for their team (33 percent ), perform pre-game or game-time rituals (25 percent), or to believe that their team has been cursed (31 percent).

Well of course the East Rutherford New Jersey Giants are cursed, as are the East Rutherford New Jersey Jets. For abandoning their ancestral homeland.

As for the buffalo Bills being cursed ... blue cheese on fried chicken. Need I say more?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Evolver

Re: Supernatural forces in play during sports events

Post by Evolver »

I know a guy who has to sit in the same chair, and wrap himself in a smelly old blanket, or he thinks it waill cause the Patriots to lose. That he's been doing this every game for 10 years, and the Patriots haven't won a Superbowl since 2004 doesn't make any difference to him. :roll:
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The East Rutherford New Jersey Giants won as recently as 2012. Beat the Foxborough Patriots.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk »

I seem to be a jinx when watching a game I'd actually like to see a team win (Denver, Used to be Dallas, long ago Miami).