How to improve college football.

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

How to improve college football.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Stop pretending it's anything but entertainment, legally treat is as such (unionized or not), and make it more entertaining along the lines of WWE wrestling.

That is all. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Anaxagoras

Re: How to improve college football.

Post by Anaxagoras »

But WWE wrestling isn't particularly entertaining if you are older than 12.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anaxagoras wrote:But WWE wrestling isn't particularly entertaining if you are older than 12.
Well lah-dee-dah! :HoppingMad:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Stop pretending it's anything but entertainment, legally treat is as such (unionized or not), and make it more entertaining along the lines of WWE wrestling.

That is all. :)
College Football is an interesting cultural phenomenon. Sure there's oodles of money involved for the entire University, from both ticket and merchandise sales as well as donation from alumni. However, there're are also old rivalries and fans of the teams extend beyond those who attended the University. That won't be fixed by simply spinning the sport off to pro or semi-pro levels.
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

I have no problem with collecge football using the athletes as a means to bring in money.
I do have a problem with athletes receiving unearned degrees for such.

I like that a court has just determined that college athletes are school employees, and can unionize.
Maybe now they will begin to be treated as they are, the NFL's minor league.
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

It is becoming increasingly evident--with multiple modifying modificatory adjectives and . . . words--that at a certain level, for particular sports, college athletes are just "marking time" until they reach the pros.

With NBA, it is simply not worth it for the premier players to even participate in college basketball if they can get signed in the NBA. Period.

Baseball and Hockey have a more nebulous system, but both sports have semi-viable various "minor leagues" to keep players occupied until they make it or do not make it. A player may very well take advantage of college-level play.

NFL? College--to me--does not seem a viable "minor league." Too many "Greatest EVAH" college players "simply cannot play in the NFL." They are not "big enough/mature enough/skilled enough." The old joke about a "Bad Team" in the NFL is that a particular college team could beat them.

No. NFL players are simply too much bigger. Case in point: St. Tim of Tebow briefly succeeded in Denver surrounded by NFL players. Put him with his college team, and he would have been buried.

Meanwhile . . . NBA/NHL/MLB all risk "career-ending injuries." NFL increases that beyond a few orders of made-up number magnitude. So the above may be able to survive in a minor league for a few years. NFL has short enough careers. Add in the head injuries and all of that who wants to risk everything in a "minor league."

But that is the case with college football: taking all of those injury risks which may end a career before it begins, without insurance, pension, or anything. In order to succeed, getting an actual degree is completely secondary.

Fine.

Create a "minor league" for football.

Who will watch it? Us 'mericans will joke: "we have that! It's called 'Canada.'" Cannot glut that market with tons of potential NFL players who may never make it even if they are healthy.

Anyways, to end the ramble, I think this is slowly working out. Giving some more rights to the players from which universities make shit-tons of money more than scholarships.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Evolver wrote:I have no problem with collecge football using the athletes as a means to bring in money.
I do have a problem with athletes receiving unearned degrees for such.
For some reason, there is no degree Bachelor of Football. They have Bachelor of Sports Science though.

And say practice hours counted toward credit hours. Games counted as exams. Points off for penalties, fucked plays, being a doofus, etc. Extra credit for winning.

Would that constitute earning a degree?

They put in a hell of a lot more hours learning that than just about any student earning any degree.

Sure, they can't speak French, can barely read English in fact, and long division is a fucking mystery. In their chosen profession, is any of that really necessary? So change the curriculum to better reflect the profession. Make them take courses in drug-free body building, giving sideline interviews, huddle posing, maybe even some marketing classes in case they get picked up to endorse something. Oh, and Sex Ed. They need that too for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

One might think it is worthless to 95% of the graduates that don't get picked up by the majors.

Not true. A degree in Women's Studies is far more worthless. Or astrophysics for that matter.

Almost every high-school in the nation has a football couch, or at least a gym coach, usually two or three. That's where the course in sex ed will come in handy since they are usually the ones that teach it.

Consider:
At Georgia Tech, where the famous fight song proclaims "I'm a heck of an engineer," nearly 70 percent of the football team (43 of 62 players) has chosen to major in management, a business degree dubbed the "M Train" by those on campus who consider it an easier route to a diploma than the school's renowned engineering program.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=6932700

I never understood that. Why pretend you're learning one thing when in fact you're learning something entirely different? I would venture to say that a Bachelor of Football is at least as valuable as a Bachelor of Business.

And as to paying them? A Bachelor of Football puts end to that argument. I don't think the college should have to pay them to earn their degree.

But if they can pick up money on the side, I don't see a thing wrong with that. Can you imagine a college telling a business major he can't start a business while still in school? Hell no.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote:football couch
Picture?
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:football couch
Picture?
:oops:
Spoiler:
Evolver

Post by Evolver »

Simply divan.
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House
clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Land mines?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife