Deflategate

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Re: Deflategate

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

jacks
Title: double dipshit

Post by jacks »

I think he just fucked Brady,
The New England Patriots will not appeal their punishment in the aftermath of the Deflategate scandal, owner Robert Kraft announced on Tuesday at the NFL spring meetings.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /27583829/

I think it would cost more than the million dollar fine to fight it.
"Although I may disagree with what was decided, I do have respect for the commissioner and believe he is doing what he believes is in the best interest of the full 32 (NFL teams)," Kraft, a longtime supporter of Commissioner Roger Goodell,

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

jacks wrote:I think he just fucked Brady,
You think incorrectly. His decision to fight or not fight the sanctions is irrelevant to what Brady and the Union are doing and will do. He did rather reveal an important fact yesterday: that Brady denied, to him, all knowledge of anything.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

jacks

Post by jacks »

I don't blame him for paying the million and walking away, but he's supporting Goodell not Brady.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

jacks wrote:I don't blame him for paying the million and walking away, but he's supporting Goodell not Brady.
I would not take acquiescence to punishment as a sign of support of Goodell. There are many behind-the-scene reasons why Kraft chose to not continue this fight. And as Doc said, this is not connected to what NFLPA and Brady will or will not be doing going forward.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

The owners also agree to not sue the NFL as part of their franchise contract. That does not mean they cannot sue--you can always sue--it just makes it very difficult to win. You have to be Al Davis and willing to threaten all sorts of apocalyptic scenarios that may also blow up in your face.

Meanwhile, the union already has Vincent on breaking the CBA. I would not be surprised if the overgrown infant that is Goodell sticks in his heels and forces Brady and the Union to formally sue. Goodell has allowed somewhat independent arbiters in previous cases and they have all blown up in his face--some spectacularly. Such as one basically accusing him of lying and a former commissioner racking him over the coals.

So he will not do that. If Brady wins he can always state "I upheld the rules!" in a pathetic D'Ratian Face-Losing effort. He will still make his 30+ million a year until, I think, 2018. I do not expect his contract to be renewed after that, but who knows. That is a long time and the NFL is making money.

Meanwhile, meanwhile, the union is trying to force him to step aside since he will be a witness in the appeal. How well that will work is anyone's guess. I gather "not too well" but Brady and the Union's lawyers will use that as further evidences--thanks--that this was a witch hunt, "a gross violation of rights, Lister's Mom®, the American flag, and stuff."

Then the only question is whether or not the Federal case is strong enough that Brady will be granted an injunction on the suspensions. However, even if he does not he would have had the suspensions anyways. So at worse, if he wins, he can say he had them overturned and blame Goodell and Vincent and the NFL at large for being vindictive dumbasses.

I will say that Brady has no choice in this now. If he is innocent--as he has indicated--why would he not fight? Everyday, a the NFL looked more and more incompetent. Quite a few like Chris "Mad Dog Does Not Read Reports!" Russo have played the "If Curly and Larry are innocent, why are they suspended."

Answer: the NFL told Kraft to suspend them.

Meanwhile, important things are happening somewhere.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

jacks

Post by jacks »

Doctor X wrote:.

Meanwhile, important things are happening somewhere.

--J.D.
Yup.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

If anyone doubted that the Player's Union plans to take this to court:
Another serious blow has been delivered to the credibility of the centerpiece of the NFL’s attack on Tom Brady and the Patriots.

In an opinion piece published in Friday’s New York Times, a group of scientific and economic experts from the American Enterprise Institute systematically deconstruct the Ted Wells report and determine that the findings of wrongdoing are “deeply flawed” based on the lack of scientific merit.

Why would the NFL be concerned about this?

The American Enterprise Institute was the same group that presented its findings on the “Bountygate” scandal to the NFL in Nov. 2012. Saints officials were accused of offering bonuses to Saints players who injured members of opposing teams ' [Sic.--Ed.] a policy alleged to have been in place from 2009 to 2011. The league handed out several suspensions, including a year ban of head coach Sean Payton.

But in 2012, AEI published an analysis of NFL injury data that found that the Saints injured fewer opposing players than all but two teams did in 2009, and fewer than all but one team did from 2009 to 2011. Even if Saints officials offered “bounties,” there was no reliable and sustainable evidence that Saints players “were influenced” by them.

After presenting the report, the league vacated the players’ suspensions a month later.
To cut to the chase, the report linked in the article concludes:
Our recommendation? When the N.F.L. hears Mr. Brady’s appeal of his suspension later this month, it should proceed with the knowledge that the Wells report is unreliable.

It Is What It Is
Lots of linkypoos in the text and full article which I did not bother rendering.

--J.D.

Tyler Durden

Post by Tyler Durden »

Too flat.
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Tom Brady is said to be seeking total exoneration, and it appears he’s entitled to it. The idea that Brady and the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs for a competitive advantage has been discredited by everyone from sidewalk chemists to Web physicists to unlicensed ceramicists, not to mention your own common sense. But most importantly, it is utterly shredded in a new scientific analysis by the American Enterprise Institute, which shows the only inflation problem is in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s head.

The NFL paid millions for a fundamentally flawed report by lawyer Ted Wells that made Brady and the Patriots out to be slam-dunk guilty, based on more than 100 pages of mathematical analysis of ball pressurization . . . that turns out to be erroneous. The AEI’s report totally rejects the finding that the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC championship game had a significant drop in air pressure compared with those used by the Colts. But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

Basically, the math didn’t add up. It’s a standard principle in science: If you can’t replicate a set of results, then there is a problem with it. A flaw or a fraud is at work. Either you made a mistake, or you made it up.

When the AEI analysts looked more closely at how such a mistake could have been made, what they found “astonished” them, says the report’s co-author Stan Veuger. The Wells report “relies on an unorthodox statistical procedure at odds with the methodology the report describes.” Translation: The Wells report said it would use one equation but then used a different (and weird) equation to arrive at its numbers.

“It was really clumsy,” Veuger says. “It’s the kind of mistake you’d see in freshman statistics class.”

Another phrase possibly applies to all of this:

Falsifying results.

Normally, these “special counsel” reports are airtight documents. They’re meant to give sports leagues an unshakable legal basis for discipline and protect league integrity. The report by Major League Baseball on Pete Rose’s gambling was an unassailable document of 215 pages that included 313 witnesses and seven volumes of exhibits, including bank and phone records and transcripts of interviews that made it impossible for Rose to fight his banishment. But lately the NFL has begun turning these special counsel investigations into manipulated campaigns calculated to enhance the commissioner’s profile and powers.

And they seem to be written to fit predetermined conclusions.

Twice now Goodell has ginned up false scandals that seriously and unfairly targeted individual players and damaged franchises on what turned out to be bogus or flawed evidence.

Sally Jenkins: Washington Post
Spoiler:
--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

And it keeps getting better:
Deflategate Favored Foul Play Over Science

[Gives a good summary of the events up to the Wells Report with a rather nice swipe at Bill "12th Man" Nye.--Ed.]

Scientist Michael Naughton (expert in condensed matters physics, Buffalo Bills fan) lent his expertise to the matter when the controversy initially blew up. Naughton’s lab at Boston College inflated a football to 13.5 psi at 72° F. Then they stuck it in a fridge and measured the pressure at 42° F (slightly cooler than the low on game night of 47.7° F, the average of measurements from two weather stations near Gillette Stadium). The pressure dropped to 10.5 psi.

HeadSmart labs, a Pittsburgh-based engineering firm that ordinarily conducts research related to helmets and concussions, also turned its attention to the matter. Experiments done by CEO Tom Healy (mechanical engineering Ph.D. student, Patriots fan) and others in the lab (not Patriots fans) simulated field conditions by placing 12 balls inflated to 12.5 psi in a cold room for 2.5 hours. Measurements revealed an average drop of 1.07 psi, well within the range of the halftime measurements. Saturating the balls with water to mimic field conditions bumped the measurements down another 0.75 psi, they conclude in a technical paper. (HeadSmart has launched a crowd-funding campaign to raise research funds to further investigate the matter.)

It would be one thing if the Wells Report (which consulted Daniel Marlow, experimental high energy physics expert at Princeton) just said that additional evidence (bathroom breaks and text messages, among other things) was more compelling than the pressure data. Or if it noted that the pressure data are ambiguous, collected so haphazardly that they wouldn’t be allowed in a high school science fair: Two different gauges that differed by approximately 0.4 psi were used in taking measurements, and it isn’t clear which one was used in the pre-game measurements because those data were not recorded. At halftime, 11 Patriots’ balls and four Colts’ balls were measured, and while all of the Patriots’ balls measured below 12.5 psi, three of the four Colts’ balls also did, according to one of the gauges.

Post-game psi measurements of four Patriots balls ranged from 12.95 to 13.65. These data, the Wells Report acknowledges (in a footnote), “did not provide a scientifically reasonable basis on which to conduct a comparative analysis.” If the report can acknowledge poor methodology for the post-game data, why not acknowledge that for the pre-game and halftime data as well?

Roderick MacKinnon of Rockefeller University specifically addressed the scientific methodology in a letter posted to The Wells Report in Context, the Patriots’ rebuttal to the report’s conclusions (MacKinnon, professor of molecular neurobiology and biophysics, and chemistry Nobel laureate, was conducting experiments in a basement microscope facility and couldn’t immediately respond to my requests for his team allegiance):

“The scientific analysis in the Wells Report was a good attempt to seek the truth, however, it was based on data that are simply insufficient. In experimental science to reach a meaningful conclusion we make measurements multiple times under well-defined physical conditions. This is how we deal with the error or ‘spread’ of measured values,” MacKinnon notes.

Science News
Put on the popcorn . . . this is going to Federal Court.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Sally Jenkins wrote:The AEI analysis suggests that NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith was right when he said the Wells report “delivered exactly what the client wanted.” It suggests that this wasn’t an investigation; it was a frame job by the commissioner’s office desperate to re-establish its authority.
So the commissioner had it in for Bob Kraft and the Patriots? I thought they were friends.

Here's what Steve Metcalf wrote in what I linked to earlier:
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... _over.html

The Patriots are the victims of a witch hunt: To believe this, you have to believe the sport’s commissioner, Roger Goodell is intent on singling out the franchise, painting it in the worst possible light and, while rallying the media and the public to his side, excessively punishing it simply for being smarter, better coached, and more disciplined. To believe that, you have to ignore ample evidence that Goodell’s interests lay in precisely the opposite direction, starting with his one-time friendship with Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

Here is how Sports Illustrated recently described the relationship between Kraft and Goodell:
Kraft in many ways made NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Kraft helped push through Goodell’s election in 2006. Five years later, Kraft left his ailing wife, Myra, to convince the players that Goodell, who was widely despised, and the league could be trusted in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. Kraft helped promote and justify Goodell’s salary increase from $11.5 million before the 2011 lockout to an average of $37 million over the last two fiscal years. And in the wake of last year’s Ray Rice debacle, Goodell’s darkest hour, Kraft defended Goodell to the public and worked behind the scenes to make sure other owners remained loyal to the embattled commissioner.
As the article goes on to note, the Pats “generated the most complaints to the Competition Committee during the Bill Belichick era, and many team executives felt the issues raised were swept under the rug.” As Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman colorfully pointed out before his team faced the Patriots in the Super Bowl, Goodell was a guest at Kraft’s Brookline home the very day of the deflategate game. As GQ reported, one NFL executive even nicknamed Kraft “the assistant commissioner.”
And despite all this support and generosity from Kraft toward Goodell, he wanted to frame up and punish his team?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:So the commissioner had it in for Bob Kraft and the Patriots? I thought they were friends.
Father: Why do you cry, Artie?

Art: I-I fell and my friends skated away w-without me.

Father: Friends? Your friends? . . . If you lock them together in a room with no food for a week. . . . . . . THEN you could see what it is, friends!

Maus, Art Speigelman
Herr Goodel has 31 other "friends" to deal with.

As for the rest, Pats critic Michael Florio is laughing at your man who cannot explain why the Commissioner's office lied about the original pressures of the balls--which you quoted, or maybe it was Gram, is there a difference? Other than you have a Wifu and kinder and he lives on a "compound" off of the I-10?--and never corrected until the Wells Report. There was the letter to the Pats from the NFL that included the erroneous claims--which they knew were erroneous. Et cetera. There are people in the NFL who have it "in" for the Pats--like the former Jets GM--there are a lot of them--who is still butt-hurt over Dark Hoodie leaving the coaching job after 24 hours when he took a good look at the sickness. He profanely boasted during the AFC that the Pats were "fucked" over the balls.

There are fan boys in the NFL offices probably for most teams. The main bias that Herr Goodell has for the Patriots is his hatred for Belichick which is not at all hidden. For his part, Dark Hoodie is not one to conceal his contempt for fools, and he has never concealed his contempt for Herr Goodell--"the Geniuses in the league offices" and the like. Oddly, oddly enough, too many Fan Boys from Pats, Jets, and the like sort of assume he hates Sexy Rexy Ryan. They forget he benched "Wes Weckler" for a series in a playoff game for going after Sexy Rexy's Wifu's feet.

Bottom Line: It will go to court.

Whatever happens, Goodel will claim to his 31 Friends that he "slapped the Pats!" and then collect his multi-million dollar bonus. Even if the Feds slam him, nay ass-rape him--as they have in the past--he will shrug his shoulders, point to the profit margin, and his 31 Friends who have teams that cannot win as well will wish he won. "Good on ya!" It will be as silly as Indy watching the Pats hang another 30+ on them in a second half then drafting a receiver because the Pats would NEVER run on them with impunity a FIFTH time!

It is as simple as that.

Just as it is "more probable than not" that he saw the Ray Rice video and did . . . nothing.

Incidentally, that is a major sticking point for players: Herr Goodell does not hold himself or the owners to the same standards he holds players. Granted, Goodell knows which side his ass is buttered on: he is not employed by the players. Something I never liked: commissioners should work for both owners and players, but that is Νεφελοκοκκυγία [Stop that!--Ed.] "Cloud Cuckoo Land."

--J.D.

Paulie Cicero
Title: Legitimate Businessman

Post by Paulie Cicero »

So they're the Goodelfellas or what?

Tommy D
Title: Real Funny Guy

Post by Tommy D »

They're definitely friends of ours.
What's really funny is . . . the fucking bank job away in Secaucus . . . I'm in the middle of the fucking weeds!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

the phone was actually destroyed by Lindsey Graham.
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

. . . and it is just confirmed that Brady is taking it to federal court.

Quelle surprise.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl »

Just think, Brady would have only gotten a two game suspension if he had destroyed the phone by assaulting Gisele with it.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Tiosylanyl wrote:Just think, Brady would have only gotten a two game suspension if he had destroyed the phone by assaulting Gisele with it.
That's fucked up and I am thieving this.