Deflategate

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Deflategate

Post by Doctor X »

To take it seriously for a moment, the NFL has everything that was on the phone. They sort of, you know, conveniently lack to mention it. The NFLPA is reminding everyone of this in their scathing reply. I will not bother linking because we are in Stage II of what will soon be a multi-leveled Federal Case, and everyone is leaking everything. This includes the NFL offering to drop the suspension to one game provided Brady admit guilt, admit, specifically, that he directed the deflation which, we now know, no one knows actually happened, and apologize.

That was not going to happen.

Goodel cannot admit he ran a worthless investigation. He needed a confession to cover over all of the mistakes.

That being written and taking my FOUR-TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPION EXTRA-ABSORBANT UNDIES off for a moment, let us pretend Brady is guilty.

Why would he have fought it? Why not just state he was so upset the refs over inflated the balls during the Jets game he told Frick and Frack to re-check the balls after the refs checked them. "I am so sorry!" It is clear Dark Hoodie thinks "Spygate" was a colossal waste of time. Even so, he came immediately clean. Why not Brady? Goodel could puff his chest out, again, the haters would hate, the fans would fan.

But then why did Pete throw. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile, Brady responded on his Facebook--this has been quoted all over the place:
I am very disappointed by the NFL’s decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was ‘probable’ that I was ‘generally aware’ of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no ‘smoking gun’ and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots.
Lawyers are going to get fat.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Paulie Cicero
Title: Legitimate Businessman

Post by Paulie Cicero »

Telephones? I got no use for those.

Laura Bush

Post by Laura Bush »

How about them Red Sox?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Unfunny cowardly sockpuppets? I have no use, let alone respect, for those.

Meanwhile:
Robert Kraft's Surprise Address: In light of yesterday’s league ruling, I felt it was important to make a statement today, prior to the start of training camp. After this, I will not be talking about this matter until after the legal process plays itself out and I would advise everyone in the organization to do the same and just concentrate on preparation for the 2015 season.

The decision handed down by the league yesterday is unfathomable to me. It is routine for discipline in the NFL to be reduced upon appeal. In the vast majority of these cases there is tangible and hard evidence of the infraction for which the discipline is being imposed and still the initial penalty gets reduced. Six months removed from the AFC Championship game, the league still has no hard evidence of anybody doing anything to tamper with the psi level of footballs.

I continue to believe and unequivocally support Tom Brady. I first and foremost need to apologize to our fans because I truly believe that what I did in May, given the actual evidence of this situation and the league’s history on discipline matters, would make it much easier for the league to exonerate Tom Brady. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

The league’s handling of this entire process has been extremely frustrating and disconcerting. I will never understand why an initial erroneous report regarding the psi level of footballs was leaked by a source from the NFL a few days after the AFC Championship game was never corrected by those who had the correct information. For four months, that report cast aspersions and shaped public opinion.

Yesterday's decision by Commissioner [Roger] Goodell was released in a similar manner under an erroneous headline that read “Tom Brady Destroyed His Cell Phone.” This headline was designed to capture headlines across the country and obscure [the fact the NFL still has no hard] evidence regarding the tampering of air pressure in footballs. It intentionally implied nefarious behavior and minimized the acknowledgement that Tom provided the history of every number he texted during the relevant time frame. And we had already provided the league with every cellphone of every non-NFLPA employee that they requested, including head coach Bill Belichick.

Tom Brady is a person of great integrity and is a great ambassador of the game, both on and off the field.

Yet, for reasons that I cannot comprehend, there are those in the league office who are more determined to prove that they were right rather than admit any culpability of their own or take any responsibility for the initiation of a process and ensuing investigation that was flawed.

I have come to the conclusion that this was never about doing what was fair and just. Back in May, I had to make a difficult decision that I now regret. I tried to do what I thought was right. I chose not to take legal action. I wanted to return the focus to football. I have been negotiating agreements on a global basis my entire life. I know that there are times when you have to give up important points of principle to achieve a greater good.

I acted in good faith and was optimistic that by taking the actions I took, the league would have what they wanted. I was willing to accept the harshest penalty in the history of the NFL for an alleged ball violation because I believed it would help exonerate Tom.

I have often said, “If you want to get a deal done, sometimes you have to get the lawyers out of the room.” I had hopes that Tom Brady’s appeal to the league would provide Roger Goodell the necessary explanation to overturn his suspension. Now, the league has taken the matter to court, which is a tactic that only a lawyer would recommend.

Once again, I want to apologize to the fans of the New England Patriots and [to] Tom Brady. I was wrong to put my faith in the league.

Given the facts, evidence and laws of science that underscore this entire situation, it is completely incomprehensible to me that the league continues to take steps to disparage one of its all-time great players and a man for whom I have the utmost respect.

Personally, this is very sad and disappointing to me.

Now, I know the real reason you came here was to hear Coach [Bill] Belichick, so I’ll turn the podium over to him.

Your Super Bowl Champions!
--J.D.

Laura Bush

Post by Laura Bush »

Perhaps this would be an excellent time to discuss why Brady ultimately belongs in the conversation of who are the all-time best NFL quarterbacks.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

About that exploding cellphone. You know, the one NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seems to think belonged to Machine Gun Kelly and was used in the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, as well as the Krupp diamond theft. The one that Ted Wells said he didn’t want or need to complete his investigation into DeflateGate. The one the NFL’s own investigator said wasn’t necessary to the case.

That one.

Wells never asked for Tom Brady’s cellphone and didn’t require it. “Keep the phone,” Wells told Brady and his agent. He insisted his investigation was thorough without it. “I don’t think it undermines in any way the conclusions of the report,” he said. Those were his exact words. So were these, after interrogating Brady for more than five hours: “Totally cooperative,” Wells said of Brady’s testimony.

Yet somehow Goodell found Brady guilty of lack of cooperation and willful destruction of evidence on appeal, all because he upgraded to an iPhone 6? There are two separate issues here. One is whether Brady and the Patriots knowingly softened game balls in the AFC championship game — and it seems clear from the league’s own recent rule changes that it doesn’t have enough evidence one way or the other on that, given its sloppy procedures and the fact that it treated ball inflation as not worth monitoring. The second, larger matter is that of the league’s basic due process.

Watching this case closely and curiously is John Dowd, the special counsel who conducted Major League Baseball’s investigation into Pete Rose and got him banned from the game. As a neutral observer, Dowd finds the abuse of process in DeflateGate to be the real scandal. “I still don’t know what this is about. . . . Like ‘Seinfeld,’ this is about nothing,” he said in an e-mail. He called Goodell’s ruling against Brady based on a sudden issue over Brady’s cellphone “an ambush” and added, “The entire NFL disciplinary process lacks integrity and fairness.” [John Down is a Steelers fan.--Ed.]

. . . .

On Feb. 28, the Wells team sent an e-mail to Brady and his agent, Don Yee, requesting his cellphone records. Not the phone itself, just the records. Yee responded that he wasn’t willing to turn over Brady’s private cell information, on precedent. While it was reasonable for Wells to collect information from work cellphones issued by the Patriots — Wells already had possession of five phones from Patriots employees and examined their communications with Brady — Brady’s private phone information was simply not necessary, Yee said. Wells wasn’t thrilled, but he accepted it.

“They knew and had no quarrel with the non-production of the phone,” Dowd points out.

Neither Wells nor Goodell ever notified Brady that not producing his phone would mean discipline for non-cooperation. On Wednesday, the NFL Players Association filed a 54-page lawsuit on Brady’s behalf making that point. The issue Brady and his team thought they were addressing in his Wells interview and appeal was the inflation of game balls. According to Dowd, this compromises the whole matter: Goodell moved the finish line.

There is another pattern here — a very unseemly pattern of unethical behavior by the league office under Goodell’s leadership. First, there is always a leak from the league that commands a big headline and gins up public indignation. Next comes a disciplinary hammer from Goodell that makes him look like a hero-protector. But when the excitement dies down and actual facts emerge, it all turns out to be a souped-up overreach.

. . . It’s only when you go back and examine the Wells report and study Goodell’s written decision more closely that you discover the phone was never demanded as evidence. You also discover Footnote No. 11.

Goodell’s own buried footnote says that during the appeal before him, Brady and his agents furnished comprehensive cellphone records, including records of 10,000 text messages, and offered to help find and reconstruct all relevant communications.

Goodell rejected the offer as “not practical.”

. . . .

Goodell chose to ignore Brady’s offer and put it in a footnote. Why? Because he has been badly embarrassed this year and wanted a big headline case instead of admitting that the league had again made mistakes?

Sally Jenkins: The Washington Post
Meanwhile, details are fast and furious. Very important is the identity of the official who lied about the level of deflation--see Grammy's posts WAY back. Even more important is the recently released e-mails from the Patriots to the NFL asking them, repeatedly, to correct the record. This, according to a competent sports attorney Michael McCann may be a "shot across the bow" to use his terms, to threaten litigation:
If Kraft sues NFL, key theme would be NFL damaged Patriots brand by leaking & not correcting false stories to media.

Patriots say released emails are only "to illustrate." I think Patriots are warning NFL there are many more emails.
Matt Adams @mattadams_
@McCannSportsLaw is releasing the emails an attempt to force the NFL to drop the punishment? Or more scorched earth this means war attack?
McCann is actively tweeting even though his is on vacation.

For Kraft and the Pats to, themselves, take the NFL/Goodell to court is a "scorched Earth" or "nuculer option" in that it breaks the "rules." It may be "unfair" but the owners signed agreements not to basically sue one another--this from the history of Al "Just Win Baby!" Davis. However, the Pats would have a case given what now appears to be intentional smearing on the part of the NFL. "Win" or not, it is embarrassing. People get supoena'd.

Meanwhile, much is made about the Federal Judge. As a few put it, if the NFLPA could not get Dowdy in Minnesota [History of ruling in favor of unions and specifically against the NFL as well as castigating Goodell.--Ed.], this is a judge they would want. He has appropriately told both sides to "settle down" and "initiate negotiations." Pats-Fanboys and even Pats Haters have tried to make a big deal about that. However, it is par for the course in these cases. One Sports Lawyer notes:
My personal view is that the decision will be vacated whichever court hears the appeal. In the words of Title 9, the court may vacate the award “where there was evident partiality . . .in the arbitrator.” That would seem an easy pass to complete.

Alan Milstein: Sports Law Blog
McCann contributes to that site, incidentally.

In other words: start making a lot more popcorn.

Oh and Chris Mortenson--the idiot who reported and has never retracted the lie--is getting his ass handed to him because he had been ducking interviews on it. Good.

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

[youtube]rthHSISkM7A[/youtube]
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... suspended/
Bernard Pollard and Tom Brady aren’t exactly simpatico. It was Pollard who ended Brady’s 2008 season with a Week One shot to the knee, and Pollard and Brady have clashed in other games as well.

But when it comes down to Brady vs. Roger Goodell, Pollard takes Brady’s side.

“I do not like Tom Brady as a competitor, somebody that’s playing against him because he is a competitive player. I respect the piss out of him because the guy knows how to win. The guy, you can say whatever you want about him, but he is a true champion,”
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Because the judge ruled nothing would be sealed, the NFLPA has filed a response with the complete, previously sealed by the NFL, transcript of the Tom Brady appeal hearing.

10 hours = 457 pages.

All of it is now available.

Note, it was the NFL which did not want this released.

People are in a tweetgasm.

As one Sports Dude put it: "it's coming out of the printer now."

:hyper:

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

NFL Dude Cross-Examination: "Are you certain you disposed of that phone."

Tom Terrific: "I gave it to my assistant."

So far, Brady never says he "destroyed" the phone as the NFL tried to spin it on its release of its decision.

--J. "MOAR Popcorn!" D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote:NFL Dude Cross-Examination: "Are you certain you disposed of that phone."

Tom Terrific: "I gave it to my assistant."

So far, Brady never says he "destroyed" the phone as the NFL tried to spin it on its release of its decision.

--J. "MOAR Popcorn!" D.
But ultimately that doesn't even matter.

What matters to the case are the rules in the CBA about punishment and arbitration. On top of that, NFL doesn't even care about winning, they just have to drag it out passed game 4 and then they will be more than happy to settle.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Grammatron wrote:What matters to the case are the rules in the CBA about punishment and arbitration.
Oh indeed, but lying about a response demonstrates a failure to arbitrate. Of course, that is a poppy seed on the mountain of problems with the process and evidence that this was a witch-hunt.

Though, as "Gentlemen Skilled at This Work" have described it, do not try to tell a Federal judge what he can and cannot consider in a case.
On top of that, NFL doesn't even care about winning, they just have to drag it out passed game 4 and then they will be more than happy to settle.
That will not happen. The judge is setting up the two hearings which--according to a federal attorney interviewed--the arbiter selected by the judge will want to know what the legal arguments are on various points. There will then be a "sense" of how well it should fly either way. What it is not--to my surprise--is a "Tom, you should accept two games and Roger, you should accept this leek shoved up your anus." That back-and-forth happens before then: as the judge directed both parties in the beginning.

We all know that neither party is going to "budge" in that respect.

What this lawyer--and all various lawyers who actually deal in these cases--suspect is that one party will hear something it does not want to hear. "Tom? You're probably fucked." "Roger? As with all of your previous cases, you're an idiot!" Which way? Depends in a sense though it is considered significant that there was failure to warn--as in other cases--the precedent from previous cases--the reliance upon a duty Brady does not actually owe to the league--in the CBA specifically--et cetera this all probably comes down to:

1. Judge Rules Strongly in Favor of Tom: in which case Goodell may still push it to a trial. In that case, Brady wins an injunction, Roger loses but runs off to the 31 other owners reminding them of the $200+ million check they each received and how Brady "got away with it thanks to these meddlesome lawyers and their federal judge!"

2. Judge Rules Strongly Against Tom: in this case, Tom may still push it, get the injunction--maybe yes, probably no--then appeals it formally. That may still result in him serving the suspension. Given the legal mess Goodell made of the whole process, that is considered less likely.

The reason I do not include a "wishy-washy" is decisions are not "wishy-washy." The "sense" from lawyers is if the judge does not simply crush Brady with a "you signed the mother-fucking CBA! Get out!" then there was a problem with the process. Also, this judge will not want to serve as precedent for further abuses of the arbitration system. To give an example: the NFL has no legal--CBA even--expectation of a personal cell phone. Period. They could not compel Brett "And Then I Pull My Penis Out!" Farvererer to turn in his phone. The NFLPA could have attacked the decision to weakly fine him for not doing that, but Am I Retired Yet? wanted the case over given the details: married + sexual harassment + dick picks

IF Brady complied then, as one lawyer put it, you could get this conversation:

NFL: says you blew a 2.0 after they pulled you off Zamboni. Let us see your phone.

Since Brady accepted turning it over that could become precedence to declare that further failure to turn over the phone is "failure to comply with a league investigation." The NFL minor fine of Who is This Aaron Rogers Punk is actually a major point in Brady and the NFLPA's favor: at least with I'll Always be a Packer, what was on his phone was material to a case involving sexual harassment via phone! With Brady, it was a fishing expedition. Further, Wells affirmed he did not want the phone.

Goodell deciding to hang his suspension on the phone was a major cock-up but as you surmise, he does not care about "right and wrong." He will spin it--actually, his minions will--that Brady "destroyed evidences [Thanks.--Ed.]" and he "got away on a technicality.

I do agree with you that Goodell will not accept anything less since he will admit failure. He has to make it appear that he was overruled incorrectly by the courts. That will be his "spin." He has fought to force Tom to admit guilt. If he gets that he can justify every cent spent and bury all of his incompetence. Tom will not do that.

Further, since Goodell and the NFL have basically admitted they had and have no clue on balls and all of that, it is suspected that they have been paying attention to various independent scientists that have been telling them that, well, "Science, it works Bitches!" Goodell may "choose to believe" the hacks in the Wells report all he wants for suspension and spin purposes, but just as I claim I can fly, and I run towards the window and see the sidewalk OH FUCKING SHI

[We will take over the rest of this. It will prove more concise. The point he attempted to render was since the NFL is pursuing a study of air pressure and weather during the season it will become clear that these various changes are, indeed, valid. If this case continues and it becomes clear that the New England Patriots footballs behaved as expected, the NFL may actually lose the public relations battle.--Ed.]

shw9eyrge354g

[Do not type with your cast.--Ed.]

--3y

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

More from McCann:
After seeing the transcripts of Brady’s appeal hearing that were released Tuesday, McCann said he has altered his thinking and now can’t make sense of why Brady is facing a four-game suspension.

“I don’t understand why he’s being suspended, at the end of the day,” McCann said. “And I say that because, let’s look at the testimony. He categorically denied any wrongdoing. So from that you have the fact that the standard is preponderance of evidence more likely than not, you have his denial. Then you have the absence of evidence contradicting him. Some people said, ‘Oh, he was a little evasive.’ Well, if you ask someone the same question 12 times they’re going to come up with slightly different answers and you might contend that they’re somehow being evasive because their answers aren’t the same each time. Well, that’s human nature, our answers are never the same each time.

“I look at this testimony and I say for all the failing the NFL has, the bizarre process they use, at the end of the day where is the evidence Tom Brady participated in a ball-deflation scheme? I don’t see it. Then you’re left with, OK, was he cooperative? Well, Ted Wells found him sufficiently cooperative. You have Ted Wells saying he is. Why would that would even warrant a suspension if he isn’t as cooperative as he should have been? This doesn’t add up to me.”

McCann noted that Judge Richard Berman’s job is to determine if the league overstepped its authority or mismanaged the situation, not if it penalized Brady too harshly. But after seeing the appeal transcript, McCann said Berman likely will have some concerns to address with the league when the sides get together for settlement talks.

Initially my expectation was that he would tell Tom Brady in essence, ‘Look, this may not be fair, but the CBA gives Roger Goodell wide latitude. And even if I’m not sure about the allegations against you, it looks like the league has discretion.’ But after reading the testimony, I’m really leaning in the other direction. I’m think the judge is going to tell the NFL this was a kangaroo court. You have the cross-examiner also involved with the preparation of the so-called independent report that clearly wasn’t independent. You have categorical denials by the person who’s alleged to have done the wrongdoing. You have the lack of evidence contradicting those denials.

I just don’t see, as deferential as the court will be to the NFL, where’s the actual evidence? What is the reasoning that led the NFL to suspending Tom Brady? And if I’m a judge, I’m going to have some hard questions for the NFL.

McCann predicts Brady ultimately will end up with no more than a one-game suspension.

“I think there’s a good chance it will get settled in a couple of weeks. I don’t think it’s going to go to a [judge’s] decision,” McCann said. “I think right now they’re probably negotiating between a fine and one game, and there’s probably an argument over that. Before I thought maybe Brady would maybe agree to a two-game suspension, but after reading this transcript I’m of the belief that Brady should hold out until he gets it down to a fine.

It is What it Is WEEI Interview

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

if brady is innocent, he should hold out for whatever in the nfl constitutes an acquittal, or resign in protest. this is his legacy at stake. as far as the nfl is concerned, there should be no negotiation anyway. if, in their opinion, he cheated, then they should stick to their guns unless the courts decide otherwise, or better yet, fire goodell, which they should have down two years ago. and hire condie rice. which they should have done a decade ago when she first asked for the fucking job.

but i know i'm naive.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

So passionate you were you lost your Shift key!

I basically agree on all point. With the release of the transcript and personal e-mails, the NFL basically has no case in the sense of suggesting anything actually happened, Goodell and Vincent are caught in lies, let alone evidences--thanks--against Brady in particular. Granted, the court case is on the process and not "guilt or innocence," but "Law of the Shop" along with the CBA requires a fair process. It is clear the NFL had no desire for such.

With the resignation of David Stern, Goodell became The Worse Commissioner of a Real Sport. Stern was a narcissistic tyrant. I may rethink this in that Stern was, as far as I know, competent. The transcript of the appeal--which the NFL refused all requests to make public until it became a point no longer mootable--shows Goodell did not actually read the full Wells Report.

Worse, Goodell claimed as justification for upholding his/not his but Vincent's/not Vincent, definitely his suspensions Brady's refusal to discuss his conversations with Frick. The transcripts quote Brady discussing these conversations in detail.

I would agree with your that he must go. Problem is I fear it is "more likely than not" that Hillary will be sunk by another Bill Bimbo than the other owners voting him out. He makes them too much money and they are too damn jealous.

Rice certainly would be more competent. Hell, I think Budd "Is it Time for the Early Bird Special Yet?" Selig would have handled this better.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Transcripts paint Ted Wells, Roger Goodell in shady light

FOXBORO — If Tom Brady has lied at any point during the Deflate-gate investigation, he has at least done a better job of it than his adversaries on the NFL side.

Commissioner Roger Goodell and purported independent investigator Ted Wells have each trumpeted Brady’s lack of credibility as a reason for his placement in the crosshairs of an alleged deflation scheme. But new developments this week, namely the collection of unsealed transcripts from Brady’s appeal hearing, have further compromised the integrity of Goodell and Wells, among others.

Yet, through it all, Brady has been painted as the villainous liar.

Start with Goodell, who blatantly lied in the 20-page letter that explained his reason to uphold Brady’s four-game suspension. As Goodell portrayed Brady’s testimony in the letter, the commissioner said Brady was attempting to conceal the topic of his conversations with ball boy John Jastremski during a series of phone calls and text messages following the AFC Championship Game.

Goodell wrote, “The unusual pattern of communication between Mr. Brady and Mr. Jastremski in the days following the AFC Championship Game cannot be readily explained as unrelated to conversations about the alleged tampering of game balls.”

Goodell added, “Mr. Brady testified that he was unable to recall any specifics of those discussions and he suggested that their principal subject was preparation of game balls for the Super Bowl.”

That’s a lie. First, Goodell contradicted himself in his own footnote by including Brady’s admission that most of the conversations surrounded the football preparation process for Super Bowl XLIX. But the transcript released this week makes Goodell’s assertion far worse, as Brady mentioned a handful of times his conversations with Jastremski did hit on the Deflategate allegations.

Even though Brady’s testimony, which was under oath, submitted the topics of conversation, Goodell wrote, “I do not fully credit that testimony.”

Then, take Wells and the credibility questions regarding his 243-page report, which was edited by NFL general counsel Jeff Pash. When asked about their relationship at the appeal hearing, Wells said the NFL was his client and cited attorney-client privilege to avoid the topic and protect the privacy of their conversations, which certainly comes across as a double standard in relation to Brady’s conversations.

Similarly, Lorin Reisner, who worked for Wells’ investigative team, was also hired by the NFL to cross-examine Brady.

Brady’s cellphone has continued to be a major issue.It’s been known Wells told Brady he wouldn’t be punished for failing to turn over his phone. But then Wells testified it damaged Brady’s credibility. So which is it? Goodell has cited Brady’s lack of credibility as a chief reason for his discipline.

Troy Vincent, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations, didn’t do the league any favors bytestifying he “never” heard of the Ideal Gas Law before launching the investigation. If Vincent had been aware of the scientific elements the night of the AFC Championship Game, the psi measurements might have been shrugged off. To be fair, they would not since this was a "sting" operation. Never assume integrity.

Vincent and Wells also likely hurt Goodell’s case with their appeal testimony.Vincent testified the Competitive Integrity Policy is not delivered to or applicable to players, which seems to mean Brady can’t be suspended by Goodell’s referenced standard. And though Wells danced around the issue, he essentially admitted he had no idea that players weren’t governed by the Competitive Integrity Policy.

So it can be argued Wells held Brady to a rule that is intended for owners and management. When I first heard of that some time ago during the first filing--in the NFLPA "bullet-points"--I thought this weak. Apparently, it is not since "notice" is a major part of a valid policy.

As part of the Deflategate fallout, even the Colts and Ravens can’t get their stories straight on their conversations about the Patriots’ kicking balls in the playoffs, specifically which team initiated the conversation prior to the AFC Championship Game and who was involved in those conversations.

To be fair, this investigation might have been spared of its Threat Level Midnight status if ball boy Jim McNally didn’t continuously change his story about why he disappeared into the bathroom with a sack of game balls. To be fair.

And to rehash a major note that stuck out from the Wells Report, NFL vice president of football operations Dave Gardi lied to the Patriots on the morning after the AFC title game by telling them one of their balls was measured at 10.1 psi, and misleading the Pats and Grammy that the Colts’ balls universally met the standards.

Point is, everyone’s credibility should be called into question with the Deflategate saga, as the leading characters all appear more disingenuous by the day.

While tripping over themselves with the goal of assassinating Brady’s integrity, the NFL’s cast of puppeteers have unveiled plenty of warts of their own.

Jeff Howe: Boston Daily Mail Without Tits on Page 3 :(

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Roger Goodell's manipulation of Tom Brady's testimony leaves NFL on slippery slope

No matter where you stand on the guilt or innocence of Tom Brady, et al, the actions of the league office grow more disconcerting and indefensible by the day, especially after Thursday's release of testimony and documents from Brady's appeal of his four-game suspension.

There is a laundry list of concerns here, starting with the fact no one in the league office knew footballs could naturally deflate. This ignorance lit the fuse of a scandal that is still burning. The NFL was prone to wrongly conclude that any measurement under 12.5 pounds per square inch was an act of cheating.

From there, pretty much every single action, conclusion or determination was designed to find a path to that original belief of guilt.

But this is about focusing on one curiously inconsistent point because going over all of them would take an entire book.

So let's look at Roger Goodell's conclusion that conversations between Brady and Patriots staffer John Jastremski after the news of the scandal broke are proof that Jastremski was running a cheating operation and Brady either knew about it, tried to cover it up or both.

Goodell and his investigator, Ted Wells, were obsessed with the fact Brady and Jastremski had not texted or spoken on the phone for six months until the morning after the AFC championship game, when news hit the league was investigating the Patriots' footballs.

Then the two started communicating, numerous times over the next few days, including a face-to-face meeting in the quarterbacks room in Gillette Stadium.

To the NFL, this was proof of guilt.
. . . .
Once accused of playing with under-inflated footballs, of course Brady would want to find out what the heck was going on and talk to Jastremski. And of course Jastremski would want to profess his innocence – especially if he was really innocent – or theorize with Brady about how such a thing could occur.

It would have been far more incriminating if Brady and Jastremski never spoke.

Both Wells and Goodell, for instance, saw no issue in Patriots coach Bill Belichick, upon hearing the news, going to Brady and asking if he knew anything about the footballs. It's completely natural. So not with Brady?

Furthermore, after the first conversation between Brady and Jastremski, all other communication came under false pretenses. By late Monday morning the NFL had wrongly told the Patriots that their footballs were deflated as low as 10.1 psi – which put the organization on its heels because it was such a significant reduction.

Hearing such data from the league office would certainly cause Brady and Jastremski to revisit the situation. Let's say Jastremski said early Monday morning he didn't do it, doubted anyone did and couldn't even believe this occurred – something both Brady and Jastremski said occurred.

Then the NFL put out the false 10.1 psi number. Of course Brady would call back and say, "Well, this is what the NFL found, something must have happened. What's the story?"

Then later, ESPN, citing league sources, reported that 11 of the 12 Patriots footballs were two pounds or more below the league standard. It was also completely wrong but no one in New England knew that at the time so this looked terrible. Again, Brady would reasonably want to ask more questions.

The NFL instead said the daily discussions were proof of guilt.

So the league created fake duress for Brady via false evidence and then found him guilty for reacting to it in an understandable fashion.
. . . .
Here's one answer when asked about what was discussed during one conversation, why it was discussed and why he was even talking to Jastremski.

"[Jastremski] was the person that prepared the footballs and like I said, the initial report was that none of the Colts' balls were deflated, but the Patriots', all the Patriots' balls were," Brady testified. "So I was trying to figure out what happened. [It] was certainly my concern [to attempt] to figure out, you know, what could be – possibly could have happened to those balls."

Does this seem reasonable? Or proof of overwhelming guilt?

Actually, don't bother answering because it gets far worse for the league office.

Here is how Goodell saw it, and, in the process, characterized what Brady said he and Jastremski discussed.

"The sharp contrast between the almost complete absence of communications through the AFC championship game undermines any suggestion during the three days following the AFC championship game that the communications addressed ONLY [emphasis added] preparation of footballs for the Super Bowl rather than the tampering allegations and their anticipated responses to inquiries about the tampering," Goodell wrote.

Only? Wait, Brady and Jastremski ONLY discussed the preparation of the footballs for the Super Bowl?

That certainly could undermine things. It would be incredibly suspicious, incriminating even, if Brady claimed that in the midst of this growing scandal, he and Jastremski spoke repeatedly but ONLY about preparing footballs for the Super Bowl. No one would believe that.

Which is perhaps why Goodell wrote it as such.

Like many things from the NFL in this scandal, it's completely incorrect (and actually contradicted within other portions and footnotes of Goodell's own ruling, not to mention the Wells Report). With the release of the transcript, though, the commissioner's claims have misrepresented the evidence.
. . . .
Is that a fair and accurate portrayal of what Brady testified? Is that even remotely reasonable? Or is it just an attempt to make Brady appear guilty and thus continue months of conduct that appear designed to justify the original suspicion.

Perhaps more importantly, how does anyone in the NFL – owner, coach, player or fan – possibly trust the league office to investigate and rule on anything ever again?

Dan Wetzel: Yahoo Sports
Roger Goodell misled me on Tom Brady. I won’t trust him again.

Last week, I relied on the word of Roger Goodell. I won’t make that mistake again.
. . . .
But among the most powerful weapons Goodell deployed was this: that Brady had suggested his frequent communications with the key Patriots equipment assistant in the days after the scandal broke concerned the preparation of Super Bowl balls and not DeflateGate, a hard-to-believe claim.

“Mr. Brady testified that he was unable to recall any specifics of those discussions and he suggested that their principal subject was preparation of game balls for the Super Bowl,” Goodell wrote.
Goodell further argued that the huge uptick in communication between Brady and the assistant “undermines any suggestion that the communications addressed only preparation of footballs for the Super Bowl rather than the tampering allegations and their anticipated responses to inquiries about the tampering.”

Those words swayed my original piece, which was based on Goodell’s report. And those words were, to be frank, hogwash.
. . . .
This isn’t about whether or not anyone took air out of footballs, or whether or not a quarterback knew anything untoward was happening. This is about whether the commissioner of the NFL cares at all about accuracy, and whether he can be believed when he belches out his 20-page decisions. Last week, I made the mistake of assuming he could. I’ll try not to do that again.

Dan Steinberg: Washington Post
--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Berman told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on Wednesdaythat while similar civil cases generally take about two years to resolve: "I think it's fair to say nobody here today wants to wait that long."

MattPStout
--J.D.