Sorry to Make You Cry XVI

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
DJ

Re: Sorry to Make You Cry XVI

Post by DJ »

Da beers
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:02 pm There's some rumblings about postponing the Titans game. Made me think we should discuss some rule variation in case it keeps happening.
NFL postpones Pittsburgh-Tennessee game after 9 in Titans organization test positive for COVID-19
The Pittsburgh-Tennessee game originally scheduled for Sunday will be played either Monday or Tuesday after a new positive coronavirus test result Wednesday among the Titans, the NFL announced.

The NFL said a new date and time would be announced as soon as possible and that the postponement would allow additional time for further testing.
So in this case, it's only delayed for a day or two, so I think you could still make a pick if you want.

If a game were to be cancelled outright though, or ruled a forfeit or a tie or something by the NFL, I would say give any player who picked that game the option to choose another game. Nobody can pick that game after the cancellation is announced in the press. If all games for that week have already been played, let them choose a game from the following week. If the team you picked loses by forfeit, I would say make them make a new pick in the following week (i.e., they get to make two picks that week).

Well, that's my suggestion if/when something like that happens.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
gnome

Post by gnome »

I am along mostly the same lines, for example that if a picked game is delayed into the next week, the pick remains good as well as whatever other pick the player makes that week.

For a cancelled or forfeited game--any game with a resolution, I say that's the resolution. A risk taken in picking games. Use the scowly face like for ties.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

As long as it was a good faith pick. There's no picking a team after it is decided that they will lose by forfeit.
William Shakespeare
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I would agree to that. Question though, in the 2 pick scenario, can a person use a mulligan on 1 of the picks?
gnome

Post by gnome »

In my scenario I'd argue only on the "current" week's game. With the delayed game being considered the last game of the previous week.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J. "28-3!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Queefs
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
izittrue

Post by izittrue »

I believe I have 3 points damn it
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Are you sure?

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
gnome

Post by gnome »

Flats
--Soldier, TF2
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Regrets to crash and burn.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

What a shit show that was.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Here is what I am thinking:

1. It has been a rule that you can pick/change your pick up to the kick-off of the game.
2. If a game you pick gets postponed/moved, that pick carries. I will try to make a note of it.
3. Mulligan: if one wants to use a Mulligan, they have to declare it at the time. So let us say you want to pick the Fags – Queefs game but it gets delayed until Week 37 ["37? – Ed.]. IF you wanted to use a Mulligan assuming your pick for Fags – Queefs FAIL'd, we have no choice but to have you declare it that week.
4. That can lead to a problem in that you will have to potentially NOT pick your Mulligan Team to lose again until the first game is played, but I do not know how one can go around that.
5. In the MNF Case: should that game get delayed/postponed, you want to pick it AND, like moi, be able to use a Mulligan if you FAIL, then you have to declare your Potential Mulligan for the following week.

I do not think it works to wait until Week 69 [Stop that. – Ed.], then have your pick fail, then get to use a Mulligan.

I foresee two potential cock-ups:

1. Forfeit: I highly doubt that will happen. It has never technically happened. But if, for some reason it does, then that counts as a loss. That is how the NFL sees it. I think that is how we should play it.

2. Cancellation: in that case . . . the only thing I can think of making that work is for a player to have a second game the same week of the Japanese schedule. We put that in escrow. Should the game get cancelled, then the results of that pick come into play. Again, it may prevent a player from picking that team to lose, but I see no way around that.

Thoughts?

– J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

That reads complicated enough to be a good compromise. I too think forfeit is unlikely. If they let this Jets game be played then they will let them field practice squad players if need be just to have a game take place.

If things get real bad and they have to scuttle the season ala MLB/NBA/NHL and change the playoff picture we can bring this up again.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

I fully support any convoluted and over-wordy changes to rules I dont understand in the first place.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

FYI: the Tits-Squealers game has been postponed again. It won't be played this week but supposedly at a date later in the season to be determined.
William Shakespeare
gnome

Post by gnome »

Were it anyone but the anal-retentive assholes here at Skeptical Community (and I include myself in that) I'd worry that it was too convoluted. Along those lines, Dr. X is surely a fine steward of ensuring the adjudication follows the rules.
--Soldier, TF2
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:41 am I fully support any convoluted and over-wordy changes to rules I dont understand in the first place.
Just do whatever you can to avoid generating Meanie PointsTM
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Schefter just tweeted that Cam has COVID-19.🤬🥺🥵

Edited to add confirmation by Boston Globe, NBC, ETC... :x