The Penny Puzzle

Stump your fellow simians.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

The Penny Puzzle

Post by Rob Lister »

For background on this puzzle, see:
viewtopic.php?p=1003576#p1003576
[Regarding pennies] To be honest, I throw them away, right in the parking lot of the store that gives them to me. Yes, littering, ironically. I have no choice. There's not enough room in my car's ashtray (which is helpfully embossed on the interior "Not an ashtray") for pennies, which would eventually build to 4 pennies to every other coin if I allowed them (I think ... there's interesting math there ... I'll have to think about it). But I digress.
Warning, I have no answer to this puzzle but it should be figuroutable.

Ok, setup!

Assume in your daily transactions, you always pay with cash. I know, it strains credibility, but suppose you're Robinson and no bank or card company will deal with you.

Assume you have a large change receptacle in your car (call it gallon size, for fun, doesn't much matter) and you always, always put all your loose coin change in said receptacle.

Assume each and every store clerk logically selects proper coin denominations in giving you change, i.e. they wouldn't give you six pennies in lieu of a nickel and penny.

Assume denominations of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters only; that half-dollar and dollar coins do not exist, as they almost don't anyway.

Last assumption, assume you're not the type of person to nitpick puzzle wording.

Okay, puzzle!

When the receptacle is full, you dump it out and separate the coins according to their denominations.

What are the ratios of of the differing denominations?

Post your answer but
Spoiler:
spoiler
your work.

ed
Title: G_D

Re: The Penny Puzzle

Post by ed »

1 to 4 to 4
Not sure why. Maybe because if it ... it flips over to the next denomination at 5 soooooo "4" is important.

There
About that stereo

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

I bung it in the machine at the supermarket and I get a shopping voucher.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

When I was little my parents had an old tobacco tin they kept on top of the fridge for coins.. Once I was old enough to reach it, I'd look for quarters and take them out from time to time, so there weren't many quarters. Lots of pennies, nickels and dimes. But mostly pennies. Half dollars were rare in those days. If your change was 75 cents, you'd get 3 quarters. If it was 50 cents you'd usually get 2 quarters.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Nickels would be the rarest, pennies the most common, I think. Quarters more common than dimes, so ...

For every 200 pennies, I think you'd have 150 quarters, 80 dimes and 40 nickels?

Assuming random distribution.
William Shakespeare

shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

I'm also assuming the following:

You pay for everything with bills.

You never pull any change out to pay for anything.

Your purchases are price-random; you don't buy a lot of items for the same price or that end with the same decimal amount, like $0.99.

You don't have a wife who raids the jar.

You are not Cheating Cunt Ed.

My calculation with rounding of percentages:
Spoiler:
Of every 470 coins (represents $0.01 through $0.99 once each)
200 pennies, 42.55%
40 nickels, 8.51%
80 dimes, 17.02%
150 quarters, 31.91%
Which is the same as Anax, so he was right.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Rob Lister wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:35 am

Assume in your daily transactions, you always pay with cash. I know, it strains credibility, but suppose you're Robinson and no bank or card company will deal with you.

Assume you have a large change receptacle in your car (call it gallon size, for fun, doesn't much matter) and you always, always put all your loose coin change in said receptacle.

Assume each and every store clerk logically selects proper coin denominations in giving you change, i.e. they wouldn't give you six pennies in lieu of a nickel and penny.

Assume denominations of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters only; that half-dollar and dollar coins do not exist, as they almost don't anyway.
OK so far
Last assumption, assume you're not the type of person to nitpick puzzle wording.
I'm out. :D
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness »

shemp wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:56 pm
Which is the same as Anax, so he was right.
Ditto. Did it by brute force:

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 am
Nickels would be the rarest, pennies the most common, I think. Quarters more common than dimes, so ...

For every 200 pennies, I think you'd have 150 quarters, 80 dimes and 40 nickels?

You get credit but -20 points for not showing work.

shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

I didn't really show my work either. I did it in my head. The pennies are obvious, they come into play 1-4 and 6-9 every ten cents, so that's 20 per ten cent range or 200. The quarters are easy too because there's 1 for each amount from 25-49 cents, 2 for each from 50-74 cents, and 3 for each amount from 75-99 cents. The nickels and dimes, you just figure how many there are at 5 cents, 10 cents, 15 cents, etc. then multiply each value by 5.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.

Witness

Post by Witness »

I see all your coins have cute nicknames. What a touching Love Story™. :BigGrin3:

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 am
I see all your coins have cute nicknames. What a touching Love Story™. :BigGrin3:
??? tons for bills, few for coins. two-bits for quarter but that's the only one that comes to mind. Susan B for a dollar coin used to be.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 am

You get credit but -20 points for not showing work.
I worked it out in my head. Wasn't quite 100% sure of the answer, but I guess I should have trusted myself more.
William Shakespeare