Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

Post by asthmatic camel »

I wouldn't know. I participate in neither activity.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Giz

Post by Giz »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:28 am
Witness wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 am
Passengers have drinks in the Jolly Tar, one of the so-called "tavern cars" that the British Rail introduced in the 1940s.
Those were the days. Many long distance trains still allow drinking and have buffet cars but if you fancy a tipple on London Transport, or on the way to a football game, you're bang out of luck.
That’s changed “fairly” recently. I remember having drinks while traveling around London in the days before moving stateside (so early 2000s)

asthmatic camel

Drinking in public's become very much frowned upon in recent years, Giz. Street drinking's banned altogether around here.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel

Now the builders' yard is finally open again, T3h Attic of Doom™ is all but complete: the fresh timber needs treating and then the lot's getting a final coat of paint.

It has been a massive, filthy pain in the arse to do.

And now, perhaps, we are to begin...

Fid

Post by Fid »

You know they detect grow rooms from the outside using thermal imaging right?
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

Giz

Post by Giz »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:46 pm
Drinking in public's become very much frowned upon in recent years, Giz. Street drinking's banned altogether around here.
That’s a shame. (From my selfish nostalgia perspective). Still, I imagine it may have made croydon a little less terrible for those who live there.

asthmatic camel

Fid wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:12 pm
You know they detect grow rooms from the outside using thermal imaging right?
Yep but, seeing as I can't abide cannabis, (just the smell makes me heave), that's not going to be a problem!

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Keep an extinguisher at hand. :notsure:

Hydrogen trains could be on their way to Italy after major firms seal five-year agreement
  • As concerns about air pollution grow, zero and low-emission forms of transport could have a big role to play.
  • Alstom’s Coradia iLint is part of a small but growing cohort of hydrogen-powered transportation methods.

Transport manufacturer Alstom and energy infrastructure firm Snam are to collaborate on the development of hydrogen trains in Italy, the latest example of work being undertaken to integrate the technology into mass-transit systems.

In an announcement Thursday the firms said that the agreement between them, which is set to last five years, would see French company Alstom “manufacture and maintain newly built or converted hydrogen trains.”

Snam, which is headquartered in San Donato Milanese, Italy, will focus on the development of infrastructure related to refueling, transport and production.

“We believe in hydrogen,” Michele Viale, who is managing director of Alstom Italy and Switzerland, said in a statement. “This is the reason why we have signed a partnership with Snam,” Viale added.

“Coradia iLint, the first hydrogen powered train, is already in passenger service between the towns of Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven, Bremervörde and Buxtehudehe in Germany.”

The Coradia iLint referenced by Viale entered into service in 2018, uses a hydrogen fuel-cell and, according to Alstom, emits just “steam and condensed water.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/hydroge ... ement.html

Witness

Post by Witness »

Britain's railways will be 'renationalised' using emergency coronavirus measures - ending the current franchise system
  • Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has revealed plans to 'renationalise' railways
  • Under his proposals, ministers would have control over fares and timetables
  • His plans will be revealed in a report of an independent review into UK railways
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sures.html

"A success, a flaming success" as Skeeve would write. :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The British "privatization" was doomed to failure from day one because they didn't make it clear that the owners were responsible for maintaining it.

In effect the new owners became old school rural landlords of the railroad, rather than capitalists.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Witness wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 am

“Coradia iLint, the first hydrogen powered train, is already in passenger service between the towns of Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven, Bremervörde and Buxtehudehe in Germany.”

The Coradia iLint referenced by Viale entered into service in 2018, uses a hydrogen fuel-cell and, according to Alstom, emits just “steam and condensed water.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/hydroge ... ement.html

abd the thing is german too. :roll:
About that stereo

asthmatic camel

Witness wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 am
An unforeseen benefit of the mirrored insulation I've used is that the loft is now noticeably cooler during spells of hot weather. As the roof is black slate, it soaks up heat like ed buying stolen antiques: the insulation reflects it back. In addition, unless I'm actually up there, there's no power supply at all. Still, it's not a bad idea, TY.

Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:49 pm
abd the thing is german too. :roll:
You're such a pussy. :)