The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The UK thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Freedom of the press never meant that "the press" was immune from prosecution crimes committed while notionally on the job.

He's still free to report as he pleases.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz

Post by Giz »

There are times when “defund the police” starts to make sense.

9 people a day arrested for social media posts in U.K.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/poli ... -b8nkpgp2d

Meanwhile serious physical crimes can’t be pursued because of a “lack of resources “

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

UK police are now like what Daley the Elder said about the Chicago police.

They are there to maintain disorder.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

I refer everyone to posts I have made passim.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: shoppers in England must wear face masks from 24 July

Fines of up to £100 could be handed out for non-compliance under measures to be announced on Tuesday

Face masks will become mandatory in shops across England, ministers are to announce on Tuesday, following mixed messages, a cabinet split and mounting pressure on Boris Johnson to change public advice.

New legislation will not come into force until Friday 24 July, however, raising concerns over the risk of coronavirus spreading over the next 10 days as lockdown is eased.

Enforcement, which will include a fine of up to £100 for non-compliance, will be down to police, though shop staff will be expected to encourage the policy, No 10 said.

The announcement is understood to have been rushed forward after Michael Gove, the cabinet minister, said on Sunday that masks should not be made mandatory, contradicting indications from the prime minister last week.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... is-johnson

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

So how are people, with already stretched budgets, supposed to pay for the masks that the more affluent have already hovered up?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Judging by what happened in Illinois, a whole mess of running around for a few days before stores started selling them.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

A scarf or similar is acceptable. It doesn't have to be an officially approved mask.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Because efficacy is not actually important.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

ceptimus wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 am
A scarf or similar is acceptable. It doesn't have to be an officially approved mask.

Good or not?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

He did not die of the Covid.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:12 am
Boris Johnson urged to raise freedom of press concerns with Trump after arrest of The Independent’s chief US correspondent
Follow up:
White House informed of British ambassador’s complaint over Independent journalist’s arrest

Protest lodged with State Department after Andrew Buncombe detained while covering protests in Seattle

The British ambassador to the US has launched an official complaint over the arrest of an Independent journalist covering protests in Seattle.

Karen Pierce’s protest was registered with senior levels of the State Department and the White House was informed, following the arrest of The Independent’s chief US correspondent.

Andrew Buncombe was shackled, assaulted and detained for more than six hours after being accused of “failing to disperse” in Seattle.

He denies committing an offence but now faces a maximum penalty of 364 days in jail and a $5,000 (£4,000) fine.

Mr Buncombe was covering the police operation to clear the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest ⁠– where an area of Seattle had been occupied by demonstrators since early June.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 14541.html

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Got no sympathy. None.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Almost £5 billion of coronavirus bailouts handed out to firms based in tax havens

Dame Margaret Hodge says she is "utterly disgusted" by revelations that vast sums of money is being paid out to those who don't pay in.

Almost a third of companies receiving coronavirus bailouts from the Bank of England are based in a tax haven or owned by someone living there, shocking research has revealed.

Analysis by TaxWatch UK, a thinktank, found that £4.79 billion in bailout cash has been handed to companies with links to tax havens, or that have been embroiled in financial controversy – close to 30 per cent of the money loaned out under the government’s Covid Corporate Financing Facility.

One company – Baker Hughes, a subsidiary of American giant General Electric – was granted a £600 million loan, despite the fact that its parent company has been sued by HMRC over unpaid taxes dating back 16 years.

Luxury fashion brand Chanel – whose ultimate parent company is based in the Cayman Islands – also received £600 million, as did EasyJet – which is part-owned by a trust based in the Caribbean territory.

A further £25 million went to cruise operator Carnival, whose ships were registered in Panama. Dozens of people have died and over 1,500 confirmed cases of Covid-19 have so far been recorded in connection with the company’s cruises, after major outbreaks on ships like the Diamond Princess earlier this year.

Machine manufacturer JCB – whose parent company is located in the Netherlands – received a £600 million bailout. The company donated more than £50,000 to Boris Johnson in 2019 and its chairman, Lord Bamford, contributed a further £20,000 to the prime minister’s leadership campaign.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... ens/10/07/ for the rest.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Don't mention that cunt Branson.

No really. Don't

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Russia tried to influence 2019 general election, government reveals

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... m=referral

Thanks Obamatrump.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Northern accents are becoming more similar, suggests new research

The accents of educated city dwellers across the North of England are becoming more similar, according to new research from The University of Manchester.

Linguistics expert Dr Patrycja Strycharczuk and her colleagues wanted to discover whether there is any evidence for the existence of ‘General Northern English’ - an accent believed to be spoken by many typically middle-class people across Northern England.

“I often hear statements like "I'm from Liverpool / Manchester / Sheffield, but I don't have the accent” - however, there is very little systematic evidence that General Northern English really is a coherent variety, so that's the question we asked ourselves,” said Dr Strycharczuk.

Using machine learning, they analysed the speech patterns of people from major cities across the North of England. They found that machine learners typically struggled to distinguish between the accents of people from Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield - this suggests that such speakers may indeed speak in a very similar way. However, accents from Liverpool and Newcastle were a lot more distinct.

The researchers also analysed individual vowel sounds, and compared them to traditional descriptions of different northern dialects. Typically, they found that some traditional dialect features are no longer present, but most speakers still sound distinctly northern – for example, using short vowels in words like 'glass', and pronouncing 'crux' the same as 'crooks'.

While this could be seen as evidence that regional accents are disappearing, that's not quite the case. The research did find some subtle differences between vowels in different cities that were previously unknown - individual cities still sound a little different, but the way they differ has changed.
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/n ... e-similar/

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Commons speaker introduces cat to deal with parliament’s mouse problem

Patrick already ‘earning his keep’

Sceptics might say it is a rare example of politicians keeping their election pledges.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the new speaker of the House of Commons, has revealed he has followed through on his promise to introduce a cat to help deal with parliament’s mouse problem.

And Patrick, as the moggy is called, has already proved successful at his new job.

“He’s caught a couple of mice so far, so he is earning his keep,” Sir Lindsay told Times Radio.

The MP for Chorley, in Lancashire, said he recognised fears that cats might accidentally eat the poison currently used to deal with the mouse problem.

“But I still have this view that cats are a much more effective way of dealing with rodents,” he said.

“I think the number of mice seems to have dropped at the moment, but they do come back in waves,” he added.

Every time building work started in one part of the Palace Of Westminster the mice would move to a new corner of the building, he warned.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 28436.html