Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Windows 10

Post by Rob Lister »

For me it was the principle of the matter.

Of course, my principles end at the jagged edge of my convenience, which is why I run windows 10 in the first place.

I'm not sure why it even asked made its install obvious. Maybe it didn't. Maybe the process I killed was just the introduction to it.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Fucking windows how do they work?
oh really?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Quick question for you confuser gurus, largely because I'm busy right now and too lazy to investigate myself: If I buy a new laptop, it will obviously come with Win10. Will Win7 Ultimate x64 run on this new fangled hardware that 10 runs on? Unlike Listy, I don't tolerate Win10 and if/when I buy a new laptop, I'm gonna try to simply move the new SSD drive from the old box to the new box, let it recognize the new hardware, etc. Or I may buy the new laptop with an SSD and wipe 10 and install 7. (I think I have one more install left on my 7 disk) That'll allow me to retire the old laptop to home service through the flatscreen/stereo for music and vids.

Cheers,
sparks
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:11 pm
Quick question for you confuser gurus, largely because I'm busy right now and too lazy to investigate myself: If I buy a new laptop, it will obviously come with Win10. Will Win7 Ultimate x64 run on this new fangled hardware that 10 runs on?Unlike Listy, I don't tolerate Win10 and if/when I buy a new laptop, I'm gonna try to simply move the new SSD drive from the old box to the new box,let it recognize the new hardware, etc. Or I may buy the new laptop with an SSD and wipe 10 and install 7. (I think I have one more install left on my 7 disk) That'll allow me to retire the old laptop to home service through the flatscreen/stereo for music and vids.

Cheers,
sparks
Well, maybe. I'm not x-pert enough but I'll guess thatwin7 will install finebut some of your brand new on-board accessories (wifi, sound, bluetooth, graphics, etc)may not have win7 drivers. Even then you can probably kludge together a solution.

You filling your brand new hot rod with buggy whip oil. And that's okay.

Witness

Post by Witness »

:mrgreen:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

"may not have Win7 drivers."

Damned good point. Even more so now that Microsoft no longer supports 7. Thanks!

Next question would be: Has anyone figured out how to blow out and shut the hell off all the fucking bloatware in 10 such that it won't come back on the next update? 10 would be acceptable if only it didn't have all that counter productive shit hanging on it.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Meseems you already asked that. :notsure:

That's all the "apps" I have on my laptop (could get rid of some, but they don't bother me enough):

And there are simple Powershell scripts (basically Get_all_appnames / Uninstall_all_that) you could run if an update installs something. But this hasn't happened for quite some time now.
The only things I had to cleanup after an update were:
  • re-disable trackpad;
  • re-enable safe mode as a boot option (but only on my laptop, it doesn't get killed on my desktop :? ).
But then all of Windows is a big bloatware… :mrgreen:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Had updates, everything went well.

For unknown reasons telemetry was re-enabled on my desktop but not on my laptop. :?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It seems like only yesterday ... :oldman:

It's been five years since Windows 10 hit: So... how's that working out for you all?
The Register

Read the whole thing, but here's a teaser:

All but the most tech-savvy of users got this whether or not it was wanted. One reader told us at the time: "On every single one of our machines we said 'No' to the update. We uninstalled the KB that even asks for the update. Yet ... every single one of our machines has downloaded Windows 10 in the background and demanded to install itself."

{ insert graphic of that mean kid from The Simpsons saying "ha ha" } Emphasis added.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

robinson

Post by robinson »

Windows 10 is the only OS from Microsoft that has never crashed on any of my window computers
oh really?

robinson

Post by robinson »

Not even once

No blue screen of death!
oh really?

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:54 pm
It seems like only yesterday ... :oldman:
I'm impressed how W10 is able to run old programs, at least up to XP, and presumably even older. Only 16 bit stuff has been left by the curbside, which is understandable.