Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Re: Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

Post by gnome »

I mean, he basically PLAYED Lurch in "What Are Little Girls Made Of".

Ruk: "YOU RANG?"
Dr. Korby: "Not you... send me my other assistant, the one with her tits falling out of her outfit. I'm bored."
Ruk: (disdainfully) "UUUUURRRRRRHHHH"
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Wait a minute. It's all coming back to me now.

I forget the exact details, but there's definitely a scene with Kirk carrying a giant dildo. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
gnome

Post by gnome »

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Time to bump this thread.

They had a Mexican-American play a Sikh character.
Is that cultural appropriation or some other intersectional offense that requires cancellation?

This also plays into another discussion that needs to be had.
At what point did the Star Trek universe deviate from ours?

That episode where they end up in 1968 and inadvertently kidnap a USAF fighter pilot strongly implies it was after 1968.
But the original Khan episode references eugenics wars of the 1990s and sleeper ships in that era, so it was before 1990.

I think I can identify exactly when (and tie Star Trek in with an unrelated franchise) but I want to see if anyone else has anything.

gnome

Post by gnome »

I agree, with three active shows and potentially two more on the way, it's time to again have a place where people can get some answers from a self-appointed expert.

If Trek were to be "cancelled" for cultural offenses, the Next-Gen episode "Code of Honor" comes to mind as the most egregious, but TOS had its share, of which the casting of Khan is but a minor entry.

As for the question of timeline divergence--a question is, how strictly do you want to take that? For example, a Federation ship definitely did not land at Roswell with a Ferengi on board. If, perhaps, we want to make allowances for the Star Trek "version" of familiar events, there is an excellent "Eugenics Wars" series by Greg Cox which took place in the 1990s, and could plausibly, if you squint at it, occur not significantly differently than what most people believed was going on then.

So I might reframe the question as what was the first divergent event in Trek's history, that definitely would have been known to all in the real world. I think the Millennium Gate episode of Voyager is a good candidate for that. I am however interested in what you have come up with.
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

As a first cut, TOS only. Then fiddle with the rest to make it fit. 8)

Remember the episode with the planet much like Earth where immensely long lived East Asian types rule with American cavemen fighting them on the fringes? Complete with the Stars and Stripes etc.

Kirk observes that it's like Earth, except the Americans lost "the Asian Brush War" (presumably not called that at the time).

So Star Trek deviated from our universe sometime during Nixon's second term, when the USA won that war.

That universe has Doctor Manhattan in it. :coolspecs:

gnome

Post by gnome »

Also, to get the usual questions out of the way:

Of the Discovery cast, Emily Coutts (Lt. Detmer) and Rebecca Romijn ("Number One") have appeared naked in stuff.

Of the Picard cast, Alison Pill (Dr. Jurati) has.
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

gnome

Post by gnome »

Using Rule34 on Star Trek is cheating. Star Trek fandom practically invented slashfic.
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Not really my thing, and the "real" Kirk is way too straight for the usual Kirk Spock love nest.

But I kind of like this one.
NSFW:
Could be graffiti found somewhere aboard the Enterprise rather than something that "really" happened. 8)

gnome

Post by gnome »

It kind of works with how much they argue all the time but continually hang around each other.
--Soldier, TF2
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

So Spock is a vampire?
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Doctor Manhattan is not all that out of place in the Star Trek universe.

Think of him as an artificial Organian. :coolspecs:

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 pm Well gee whiz :roll:

https://rule34.xxx/index.php?page=post& ... tags=spock+ <== NSFW
Tentacles.

Theres always tentacles.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Every notice the "it's a small universe" factor?

Not every episode, but they certainly ran into old flames rather more than one might think probable.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Oh well that's easy, everyone on the Enterprise (either version) was always so amazing in bed that their exes would purposely get assigned nearby so that they might run into them.
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

gnome wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:03 pm Oh well that's easy, everyone on the Enterprise (either version) was always so amazing in bed that their exes would purposely get assigned nearby so that they might run into them.
Best fan theory EVAR :figamagee:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Recently re-watched an episode that had cavemen in it.

Noticed something I didn't notice when I was a little kid.

The cavewomen have no underarm hair. :lmao:

gnome

Post by gnome »

These are SPACE cave people, from the FUTURE. They'll shave and do their hair up, but can't manage but scraps of clothing.

--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Everybody in the universe except a few bug eyed monsters and the occasional telepath speaks English. In TOS even the Klingons speak English, though we later learn there is a Klingon language.

Fan theory to make it make sense and also not have TOS contradict the Next Generation:

English is an interstellar lingua franca spoken in various military organizations (even Klingons and Romulans) in the TOS era.
And even most humans do not speak it at home (or not in the standardized archaic form used by Starfleet etc).