What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:30 pm Every episode of Perry Mason.

1) Client is falsely accused of murder.
2) ???
3) Perry Mason provokes the real killer into a confession on the witness stand during the trial.
Except one, Perry lost. It killed the series. (IMS)
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Dug up episode one season one of Bewitched.
I loved that show when I was a little kid but I was pretty sure I'd never seen the premier episode.

Sucked so much I didn't last five minutes.

Maybe if I dug up one of the later episodes with Paul Lynde as the funny uncle? Naah.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:13 pm Dug up episode one season one of Bewitched.
I loved that show when I was a little kid but I was pretty sure I'd never seen the premier episode.

Maybe if I dug up one of the later episodes with Paul Lynde as the funny uncle? Naah.
Good that you learned your lesson. Never do that again.

I loved watching Perfect Strangers when I was a kid. When I saw it was on YouTube, I looked up one of episodes I remember liking the most. It was the 2 part skiing episode. I made it halfway through the first episode and couldn't take it anymore.

My child brain had no idea it was watching the cringiest thinly disguised homo-erotic mess to ever slide into primetime. I used to love watching Nightcourt too, but I've learned my lesson. Best to hold on to those fuzzy memories of childhood happiness and keep them fuzzy.
Such potential!
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, Dragnet remain great oldies.

Maverick remains worthy also.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Bruce wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:23 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:13 pm Dug up episode one season one of Bewitched.

Good that you learned your lesson. Never do that again.

I loved watching Perfect Strangers when I was a kid. When I saw it was on YouTube, I looked up one of episodes I remember liking the most. It was the 2 part skiing episode. I made it halfway through the first episode and couldn't take it anymore.

My child brain had no idea it was watching the cringiest thinly disguised homo-erotic mess to ever slide into primetime. I used to love watching Nightcourt too, but I've learned my lesson. Best to hold on to those fuzzy memories of childhood happiness and keep them fuzzy.
Did it again with The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Almost certainly did watch the premiere when it came out, but no clear memory of same.
Not great, but it stands up better than Bewitched.

The past is a foreign country. Minneapolis. :|

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Boarded Greyhound with Tom Hanks and got a copy ... arrrrgh

You know, I really wanted to like it. Tom, WW2, Germans, cannons, ships etc etc. The thing was in his wheelhouse, so to speak.

Problem was that it was a hot mess. High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions,

Then ...
High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, High seas, storms, nighttime, shooting, explosions.

No idea whats going on. Everybody is bundled up (there was a storm too, I think) so everybody looked alike.

n/b/ you ever notice in a chick flick that everybody other than the main chick look alike? All blond, good looking and interchangeable? That was the way this movie was.

Massive disappointment. Budget, Tom, cannons but a story that was a bumper sticker.

Pity pity pity
About that stereo
Giz

Post by Giz »

Saw the trailer. Looked like “the cruel sea” but starring Americans instead of brits.

Had put it on a “might watch if it appears on Netflix” list. Maybe I’ll remove.

I saw “the big country” for the first time. Very good, though I doubt I’d go as far as Eisenhower and watch it 5 nights in a row.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

My Octopus Teacher

Netflix documentary. Worth watching for the cinematography at least.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
ed

Post by ed »

Rewatched the 3 seasons of Detectorists. Just a pleasant show, pleasant people, believable and pleasant. I pretty much like everything about it.

Been cycling thru series from the UK and Oz and NZ and most dont last beyond 1 episode. Haven't seen a good movie in a while. Do you reach a point of entertainment saturation where every story line is a commonplace?

Thinking of rewatching The Wire and maybe 24.

Downloaded 9 Star Wars movies. Only saw 3 I thinik.
About that stereo
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

entertainment utopia = boredom hell
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Always with the tentacles, Anax Image

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
gnome

Post by gnome »

Lower Decks. It's funny as hell and somehow the visuals and themes manage to hit recognizable Trek notes with almost effortless skill. It almost screams "Guys, it isn't that hard to make a Trek show really seem Star Trekky, we managed it with a GAG show."
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Season 2 of The Boys.

Includes this diabetes-inducing little number:

I won't spoil it, but it was a good episode (S2E7 is the latest).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Started watching Evil. Didn't expect to like it, but finding it quite enjoyable. If they can maintain the delicate balance between scooby-doo mystery solving and OMG there really IS a demon invasion happening all around us........it could end up being a long lasting show.

I kept thinking that the lead demon is the guy who does the voice for Spongebob. It's not, but I like to believe it is. :twisted: I also like Nick Cage as a priest.
Such potential!
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Recently watched The Hunt for Red October, which I missed when it came out. Not bad. 8)

Another F-minus by the Bechdel test. :)

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Practically twins.
Such potential!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
ed

Post by ed »

Watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (Brit version 2019). Pretty good. Added a bit of modern pcness but ok. Seems to be cleaving fairly closely to Wells.

Incidentally Tim Spalls son is in it, Rafe. Good actor.

The same year there was a US remake that was "updated" to the present day. Started it but it was a hot mess.

Rewatching Doc Martin. Harmless fun a la Dectectorists except that the lead character is a shit.
About that stereo
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pmBosch. Excellent.
I watched a few episodes last year, didn't do much. Now I'm totallly fucking engrossed, enthralled, gorging on season 4 now. Best cop detective show since The Wire.
ed

Post by ed »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 pm
ed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 pmBosch. Excellent.
I watched a few episodes last year, didn't do much. Now I'm totallly fucking engrossed, enthralled, gorging on season 4 now. Best cop detective show since The Wire.
Glad you are liking it. I found the Killing excellent. As I recall you had some derogatory things to say about the lead actress. You might give it another peek.
About that stereo