What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
gnome

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by gnome »

Season finale was this week. And in just a few weeks DSC Season 3 starts. The Star Trek Must Flow.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

ed wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am Watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (Brit version 2019). Pretty good. Added a bit of modern pcness but ok. Seems to be cleaving fairly closely to Wells.

Incidentally Tim Spalls son is in it, Rafe. Good actor.

The same year there was a US remake that was "updated" to the present day. Started it but it was a hot mess.

Rewatching Doc Martin. Harmless fun a la Dectectorists except that the lead character is a shit.
Second episode descended into a morass of tedium. And injected an odd plot element not in Wells.
I'm done. I'll never know what happened.
About that stereo
Giz

Post by Giz »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:28 pm
ed wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am Watched the first episode of War of the Worlds (Brit version 2019). Pretty good. Added a bit of modern pcness but ok. Seems to be cleaving fairly closely to Wells.

The same year there was a US remake that was "updated" to the present day. Started it but it was a hot mess.

Rewatching Doc Martin. Harmless fun a la Dectectorists except that the lead character is a shit.
Second episode descended into a morass of tedium. And injected an odd plot element not in Wells.
I was curious enough to look it up on IMDB. First review was:

“ This is more about Amy fighting against the repression of the male dominated hierarchy and traditional western values than it is about earth fighting aliens.”
ed

Post by ed »

A bit of that, not horrible.
Spoiler:
But they suggested that the purpose of the invasion was to marsiform earth to make it suitable for martians at some point in the future. I mean ... WTF really WTF???
Go watch the Tom Cruise version. I thought that one was pretty good.
About that stereo
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:28 pm

You didnt miss anything. Apart from a really good beach sequence it turned into a morass of self indulgent horses mess.

Earth is saved by jesus. Or something. Or dead body farts .
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm A bit of that, not horrible.
Spoiler:
But they suggested that the purpose of the invasion was to marsiform earth to make it suitable for martians at some point in the future. I mean ... WTF really WTF???
Go watch the Tom Cruise version. I thought that one was pretty good.
Ok for a mindless watch I guess. I'd rather listen to Richard Burton.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Finished a strange little Sci-Fi series on Amazon called Tales From the Loop.

It's pretty slow and melancholy throughout. Just mainly weird. A little bit reminiscent of The Twilight Zone maybe.

It all sort of takes place in the same world, and the same weird little town. Each story is sort of it's own little story featuring some kind of fantastic bit of otherworldly technology as a MacGuffin. It's never really clear where this stuff comes from. Maybe aliens or the ancients or something. Usually leads to something bad or some kind of problem for the main character. The main character is different in each episode, but often they appear as minor characters in other episodes. They all live in this weird little town and many of them work in some kind of research facility called The Loop.

If you don't mind a slow-moving and weird sort of melancholy world, it might be worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Loop
Tales from the Loop is an American science fiction drama web television series based on the art book of the same name by Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag. The series premiered on Amazon Prime Video on April 3, 2020.[1] All eight episodes of the first season were released simultaneously.

Tales from the Loop follows the interconnected lives of the residents in the fictional town of Mercer, Ohio. Mercer is home to the Mercer Center for Experimental Physics, an underground facility known as the Loop. It is there where researchers attempt to "make the impossible possible".
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
ed

Post by ed »

Watched 1/2 of the first episode. It irretated me.

Watched Infamous with Toby Jones (2006). Quite good rehash of the In Cold Blood affair and Capote's NYC pals. Worth a peek. I reread Plimptons bio, parts of it at least and some of TC's essays recently. It still is am imponderable why he wrote La Cote Basque and basically killed his relationship with vitrtually all of the NYC social set. According some interviewees in Plimpton's book he was "surprised" to which I say "bullshit". He knew, he had to have known and as fucked up as he was, he still had his marbles when that story came out.

Every now and then I come back to that event. He was a prodigious talent, wasted after ICB, but prodigious nonetheless. Pity. Just a pity.

Stlll watching Doc Martin which is diverting.
About that stereo
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Blood of a Poet recently went public domain so I downloaded it from archive.org

It's a soundie but not much of a talkie, so it's rather like watching a silent movie with background music.
The title cards are in English.

See also ed's appreciation thread. 8)
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm Finished a strange little Sci-Fi series on Amazon called Tales From the Loop.

It's pretty slow and melancholy throughout. Just mainly weird. A little bit reminiscent of The Twilight Zone maybe.

It all sort of takes place in the same world, and the same weird little town. Each story is sort of it's own little story featuring some kind of fantastic bit of otherworldly technology as a MacGuffin. It's never really clear where this stuff comes from. Maybe aliens or the ancients or something. Usually leads to something bad or some kind of problem for the main character. The main character is different in each episode, but often they appear as minor characters in other episodes. They all live in this weird little town and many of them work in some kind of research facility called The Loop.

If you don't mind a slow-moving and weird sort of melancholy world, it might be worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Loop
Tales from the Loop is an American science fiction drama web television series based on the art book of the same name by Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag. The series premiered on Amazon Prime Video on April 3, 2020.[1] All eight episodes of the first season were released simultaneously.

Tales from the Loop follows the interconnected lives of the residents in the fictional town of Mercer, Ohio. Mercer is home to the Mercer Center for Experimental Physics, an underground facility known as the Loop. It is there where researchers attempt to "make the impossible possible".
I liked it. Weird but unique. Could have used a little more tying up of loose ends. I really enjoyed the echo ball episode.
Such potential!
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Dug up episode one season one of I Dream of Jeannie.

Again I didn't make it through five minutes.

I also had forgotten how totally awful laugh tracks are.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Likewise Mister Ed.

Corny as hell of course, but it has held up better than the others.
Didn't particularly leave with a hankering to watch them all, but I got through the premier episode.

ed

Post by ed »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm Blood of a Poet recently went public domain so I downloaded it from archive.org

It's a soundie but not much of a talkie, so it's rather like watching a silent movie with background music.
The title cards are in English.

See also ed's appreciation thread. 8)
That is the gayest dreck i have ever seen. It made me want to put on a production of hms pinafore in the swamp.

No one watch if you value your sanity.
About that stereo
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

:lmao:

ed

Post by ed »

Did you see that guy without the shirt? I will not call him a homo because that would be a blood libel to homos.
About that stereo
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

At least it didn't have a laugh track. :)

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Watching Moneyball again for the 5th or so time. (netflix)

Why?

"He gets on base."
gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:09 pm Dug up episode one season one of I Dream of Jeannie.

Again I didn't make it through five minutes.

I also had forgotten how totally awful laugh tracks are.
I enjoyed watching old Addams Family recently.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
ed

Post by ed »

Morticia was hot.
About that stereo