The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

Ah, so he tried to be uber-smart, and failed. :roll:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Charles Darwin's notebooks reported stolen from Cambridge University

Library staff believed manuscripts were ‘mis-shelved’ in 2000 but now think theft likely

Two Charles Darwin manuscripts have been reported as stolen from Cambridge University library two decades after they were last seen.

Staff believed the precious items had been “mis-shelved” within the vast archives late in 2000 and the matter was not reported to Cambridgeshire police until 20 October this year. The force said it has launched an investigation and notified Interpol.

It is difficult to estimate the value of the notebooks, given their unique nature, but it would probably run into many millions of pounds, the library said.

The two notebooks, including Darwin’s seminal 1837 Tree of Life sketch, were removed from storage to be photographed at the library’s photographic unit, where the work was recorded as completed in November 2000.

During a subsequent routine check in January 2001 it was found that the small blue box containing the notebooks had not been returned to its proper place.

Dr Jessica Gardner, university librarian and director of library services since 2017, said: “My predecessors genuinely believed that what had happened was that these had been mis-shelved or misfiled and they took forward extensive searches over the years in that genuine belief.

“Now we have completely reviewed as a new team what happened and come to a conclusion that that’s not a sufficient position or set of actions to take.”

She said that “extensive building work” was taking place at the library at the time that the items were found to be missing.

There have been continuous searches since the notebooks went missing, she said, and it is now thought “likely that theft occurred”. Gardner reported the matter to the police.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... university

Took them long enough! :mrgreen:
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Yeah, not like they were worth anything.

Anyway he nicked all his ideas from his dad.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:32 am
Charles Darwin's notebooks reported stolen from Cambridge University

Library staff believed manuscripts were ‘mis-shelved’ in 2000 but now think theft likely

Two Charles Darwin manuscripts have been reported as stolen from Cambridge University library two decades after they were last seen..

“Now we have completely reviewed as a new team what happened and come to a conclusion that that’s not a sufficient position or set of actions to take.”
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... university

Took them long enough! :mrgreen:
I have to be a copy editor again. Obviously she meant to say:

“Now we have completely reviewed as a new team what happened and our conclusions have evolved”
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:30 am Anyway he nicked all his ideas from his dad.
Ah? Thought it was from Erasmus. (Who created the Lunar society so the members could get back home safely by the light of the full moon. :) )
Witness

Post by Witness »

Giz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:28 pm I have to be a copy editor again.
It's hopeless (like orthography); at least I have given up. One of my friends who taught mathematics at Dijon University told me he didn't read the French in students' papers anymore, only the equations, as it was too painful.

There is the expression "langue de bois" (literally "wooden tongue") for the art of saying nothing but with buzzwords, which also applies here.

Oh well, we are dinosaurs.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Spot on for bar fauna of the Shetland Isles. :|

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:38 pm ↑ Spot on for bar fauna of the Shetland Isles. :|
I just checked TripAdvisor for top bar or club on the Shetland Isles and #3 was the Royal British Legion in Lerwick.

Witness

Post by Witness »

It's a strange place.

But everything wasn't bad, quite the contrary. I met two old dudes in some bar, turned out they were (local) bluesmen (!), so I went to their concert one evening, very pleasant with a pint of Guinness.

I also had a meal and some drinks at a kind of "mariner house" (can't remember the exact name). No grande cuisine of course but the patrons were very colorful characters from the oil rigs and the "Russian" fishing fleet. No ladies there.

What struck me in the restaurants was that couples didn't sit face to face, but side by side, backs to the wall.

But for most of my stay I was in the countryside, so my knowledge of Lerwick's night life remained safely (and happily, see supra) gappy. :mrgreen:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 am It's a strange place.

But everything wasn't bad, quite the contrary. I met two old dudes in some bar, turned out they were (local) bluesmen (!), so I went to their concert one evening, very pleasant with a pint of Guinness.

I also had a meal and some drinks at a kind of "mariner house" (can't remember the exact name). No grande cuisine of course but the patrons were very colorful characters from the oil rigs and the "Russian" fishing fleet. No ladies there.

What struck me in the restaurants was that couples didn't sit face to face, but side by side, backs to the wall.

But for most of my stay I was in the countryside, so my knowledge of Lerwick's night life remained safely (and happily, see supra) gappy. :mrgreen:
As mentioned before, I have nothing but fond for the land and people of Shetlands.

"Why are you here?"
"I dont want to talk about that right now."
"Aye, we get alot of that. Another?"

Witness

Post by Witness »

Severely obese Teessiders needing more than TEN firefighters to carry out rescues

The latest figures show almost 50 'bariatric assists' by Cleveland fire and rescue

Firefighters in Teesside are increasingly being called out to help rescue severely obese people.

Cleveland fire and rescue service attended 45 “bariatric assists” in 2018/19, the latest figures from the Home Office have revealed.

These are incidents where firefighters have come to the aid of severely obese people, who are often stuck in their own home.

Such rescues can involve the use of lifting equipment, special slings, and sometimes the removal of windows, walls and banisters.

The number of incidents is up from 37 bariatric assists performed in 2017/18.

It is the highest number seen in Teesside since 2013/14, when comparable figures began and there were just seven such rescues.

Of the incidents that occurred in 2018/19, six saw between four and six emergency vehicles called to the scene, and 17 incidents required more than 10 personnel in attendance.

They typically took more than an hour to resolve, and on 17 occasions firefighters in Teesside had to spend more than four hours rescuing an obese person.
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... e-19324740

:mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

England's COVID-19 infections down 30% during national lockdown: survey

COVID-19 infections have fallen by 30% during England’s month-long national lockdown and the virus is now in retreat, a large-scale study of more than 100,000 volunteers showed on Monday.

England began its second national lockdown on Nov. 5 to curb rapidly rising infections and protect its health system. The country is due to return to a regional approach to restrictions from Dec. 2.

Levels of infection fell 30%, with 96 people per 10,000 infected between Nov. 13 and Nov. 24, according to interim results of the study by Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI.

The last iteration of the research, carried out between Oct. 16 and Nov. 2, showed 130 infections per 10,000 people.

“The findings show cases were rising as the country entered lockdown, but this was followed by a decrease as national measures successfully lowered infection rates across the country,” a statement issued by the health department said.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson faced criticism over the decision to lock down from within his own party where some said it was an unnecessary infringement on civil liberties. The opposition Labour Party said he had been too slow to react.

The reproductive number of the virus was estimated at 0.88, reinforcing data released on Friday which showed infection numbers were shrinking by between 0% and 2% every day.

While the statement said the prevalence of the disease was still high, it showed a sharp decrease in several areas of northern England which are due to enter the toughest tier of restrictions next week.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN28A00H
Witness

Post by Witness »

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson arrested along with four others in police probe

City leader one of five men arrested as part of an investigation into building and development contracts in Liverpool

The elected Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has been arrested.

The city leader was arrested earlier today by Merseyside Police along with four other men in connection with offences of bribery and witness intimidation as part of an investigation into building and development contracts in Liverpool.

Detectives made arrests at addresses throughout the city as well as Ormskirk and Southport.

The arrests are part of "an ongoing investigation", police said today.
The Labour Party politician has led the city since 2010 and has been Mayor since 2012.

Last year he secured the Labour Party selection to run to be Mayor of the city for a third term at May's delayed elections.

A Liverpool City Council spokesperson said: “Liverpool City Council is co-operating with Merseyside Police in relation to its ongoing investigation. We do not comment on matters relating to individuals.”
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... d-19399231
Giz

Post by Giz »

Only one sentence is appropriate: hard labour
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Wolf whistling to become a HATE crime: Police force starts recording 'uninvited verbal engagement' from men to women in the same category as racist abuse
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... abuse.html

Read something about the uk coppers keeping records of "hate" remark's made by individuals in perpetuity and some chick suing .... gotta look but it was sorta scary.

Who do the cops answer to?
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

Re. Kunts Punk, I appreciate the motivation but can't stand the noise. Could we have it in the style of Dowland or Monteverdi, pretty please? (There is a Bach cantata out there somewhere with lyrics starting with "Property is theft", &c.) :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Monolith discovered on Isle of Wight similar to ones found in US and Romania

https://news.sky.com/story/monolith-dis ... a-12153495

They are coming.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:00 am Re. Kunts Punk, I appreciate the motivation but can't stand the noise. Could we have it in the style of Dowland or Monteverdi, pretty please? (There is a Bach cantata out there somewhere with lyrics starting with "Property is theft", &c.) :mrgreen:
I think the Kunts Punk manage to get the ambience of an Overcast dawn, windy, last of the leaves bown off in the night's storm. Clouds moving fast, you move like a snail in contrast. You happen upon a gingerbread cottage and stumble in for something warm. It's a ramshackle pub. Inside, an avant-savant pop band weaves bittersweet melodies with untuned guitars and bassoon and saw and sandal and grass. The singer is warbling something sad, you think, he's foreign. You walk up to the bar and ask for something hot, and the drunk next to you thinks it's some sort of compliment and rests his heavy drunken arm around your shoulder. There's nothing lascivious about it, it's just a fuzzy, deep sense of camaraderie. "Those them there guys," the drunk slurs, "they pooled together their thirteen bucks and formed a band." Basking in the drunk's hot breath, everything makes sense, though you haven't deciphered a thing. Turning to watch the performance, you realize the space is so intimate the singer's been breathing down your neck the whole time. The musk is tempered by the alcohol-laden sweetness. Eventually it has to come to an end, and you leave. The wind's blown the clouds away, finally. You feel vaguely cradled. It isn't until later, much later, do you find a Watchtower stuffed in your back pocket.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 am
Witness wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:00 am Re. Kunts Punk, I appreciate the motivation but can't stand the noise. Could we have it in the style of Dowland or Monteverdi, pretty please? (There is a Bach cantata out there somewhere with lyrics starting with "Property is theft", &c.) :mrgreen:
I think the Kunts Punk manage to get the ambience of an Overcast dawn, windy, last of the leaves bown off in the night's storm. Clouds moving fast, you move like a snail in contrast. You happen upon a gingerbread cottage and stumble in for something warm. It's a ramshackle pub. Inside, an avant-savant pop band weaves bittersweet melodies with untuned guitars and bassoon and saw and sandal and grass. The singer is warbling something sad, you think, he's foreign. You walk up to the bar and ask for something hot, and the drunk next to you thinks it's some sort of compliment and rests his heavy drunken arm around your shoulder. There's nothing lascivious about it, it's just a fuzzy, deep sense of camaraderie. "Those them there guys," the drunk slurs, "they pooled together their thirteen bucks and formed a band." Basking in the drunk's hot breath, everything makes sense, though you haven't deciphered a thing. Turning to watch the performance, you realize the space is so intimate the singer's been breathing down your neck the whole time. The musk is tempered by the alcohol-laden sweetness. Eventually it has to come to an end, and you leave. The wind's blown the clouds away, finally. You feel vaguely cradled. It isn't until later, much later, do you find a Watchtower stuffed in your back pocket.
Ow! Stealing too, are we? :De_Bunk:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

:mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Scottish clan chief plans to rewild his Isle of Skye estate with 370,000 native trees, red squirrels and beavers to transform island from man-made moonscape
  • Hugh MacLeod hopes to overhaul the 'lunarscape' surrounding Dunvegan Castle
  • Some 371,875 broadleaves to be planted on the MacLeod Estate on Isle of Skye
  • Project was awarded £1million grant from the Scottish Government and the EU
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... trees.html for details & pics.

Bye-bye EU grants. :twisted:
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://old.reddit.com/r/WatchPeopleDie ... my_throat/
Witness

Post by Witness »

Peer who thinks being gay is a ‘disease’ suspended from House of Lords after shocking tirades about ‘queers’ and ‘homos’

Lord Maginnis, the peer accused of bullying gay MPs and ranting about “homos”, has been officially suspended from the House of Lords after his colleagues voted to eject him.

The politician, a form MP for Northern Ireland's Unionist Party, was suspended from the unelected upper chamber on Monday (7 December) as peers voted by 408 to 24 to back a report concluding his abusive conduct and use of homophobic language breached rules on bullying and harassment.

The 24 peers who voted against the suspension include the avowedly anti-LGBT+ former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey, hereditary peer The Earl of Sandwich, and former Telegraph editor Charles Moore, who was handed a peerage by Boris Johnson earlier this year.

The suspension from the chamber is specified as for a “minimum of 18 months”. However, Maginnis is unlikely to ever return to the chamber, as he has said he will not take undertake “a designated course of bespoke behaviour change training and coaching” as specified by Lords conduct authorities.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/12/07/h ... ers-homos/
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:16 am https://old.reddit.com/r/WatchPeopleDie ... my_throat/
Piers' GMTV slot earns 8 x what Matt Hancock earns and twice as much as his female co host.

Just for Perspective.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Still fun to watch him squirm.

DWP: Tories to reduce benefits of NHS staff who accept Scottish £500 payment

THE Tories will take back benefits from low-paid health workers if they receive the Scottish Government’s £500 thank-you payment, it has emerged.

Nicola Sturgeon announced NHS and care staff would receive the one-off payment to thank them for their efforts during the Covid-19 pandemic.

It has now emerged that for workers who receive Universal Credit, their benefit amount will be reduced if they accept the Scottish Government cash.

The decision has been described as “cruel” and “Scrooge-like”.

Responding to SNP MP Neil Gray, DWP minister Will Quince confirmed the thank-you cash would be classed as “earnings” – so Universal Credit payments would be “tapered”.

It comes after the UK Government refused to make the £500 payment tax-free.

The First Minister had urged Chancellor Rishi Sunak to let “our health and care heroes keep every penny of Scotland’s thank you to them”.

Reacting to the latest Universal Credit decision, Gray said: "The Tory Government should be ashamed.

“Instead of taking money away from our NHS and care workers, the Tory Government should follow Scotland's lead and ensure workers across the UK get the recognition they deserve."
https://www.thenational.scot/news/18934 ... 0-payment/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:12 pm
Witness wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:16 am https://old.reddit.com/r/WatchPeopleDie ... my_throat/
Piers' GMTV slot earns 8 x what Matt Hancock earns and twice as much as his female co host.

Just for Perspective.
What a twat. Will Piers volunteer to have his pay cut?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

BRITAIN'S GOT RACISTS

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/amphtml/vica ... 29915.html

OFCOM receives 100+ complaints about a reference in the episode to George Floyd and BLM...before it has even aired.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Still ever understood the animosity towards the first woman PM of GB and NI.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 am BRITAIN'S GOT RACISTS

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/amphtml/vica ... 29915.html

OFCOM receives 100+ complaints about a reference in the episode to George Floyd and BLM...before it has even aired.
And more:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... scene.html

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

More:
https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/ ... acism/amp/

Millwall Fans Boo The Taking Of A Knee As Fans Return To Stadiums But So Does Racism

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Followed a week later by the most awesome of trollings:

https://talksport.com/football/801482/q ... s-den/amp/

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

I tell you, she's fucking immortal.

She's carrying a fuck off sword behind her to decapitate Keith Richards.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Something to delight Hotarubi:
Welsh is the fastest growing language being learned in the UK, says Duolingo

Language-learning platform Duolingo found that Welsh attracted a higher rate of new learners than any other language among users in 2020

Ardderchog - Welsh is the fastest growing language being learned in the UK.

According to language learning website and app Duolingo, the number of people wanting to "siarad Cymraeg" has shot up by 44% in 2020 in the past year.

It ranks above Hindi in second, Japanese in third, Turkish in fourth and French in fifth.

And its not just in the UK that where people's curiosity has been sparked either. There are currently 1.5 million users worldwide using Duolingo to learn Welsh as well.

That means, overall, Wales' mother tongue ranks in ninth place - ahead of Portuguese in tenth and behind Chinese in eighth.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... h-19472264
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Actually I'm pleased because what actually annoyed me is that my tv license fee goes on giving that grot their own channel in their own language, when only 11% of the fetid population speaks the fucking thing fluently.

Anyway, they all smell of chicken nugget batter.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 am I tell you, she's fucking immortal.

She's carrying a fuck off sword behind her to decapitate Keith Richards.
Actually Keith is her portrait of Dorian Grey
This space for let