A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

11 questions. Just choose a, b, c or d for each one. I won't tell you how to score at this juncture. But if you tell me your answers I'll inform you as to whether you fall under being a:

Materialist,

Naturalist,

Semi- idealist or,

Idealist (philosophical idealist that is).


As a matter of interest, the score I got put me as a semi-idealist; but only just. Only failed to be categorised as an idealist by 1 point.


The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

I answered as best I could. 6 is a stupid question, unless I just don't get it, 8 is very confusing, and 10 I don't see a difference between something being "likely" or "probable". They seem like synonyms.

Anyway...
1. b
2. c
3. a
4. c
5. b
6. d
7. c
8. d
9. c
10. c
11. c
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Hexxenhammer wrote:I answered as best I could. 6 is a stupid question, unless I just don't get it, 8 is very confusing, and 10 I don't see a difference between something being "likely" or "probable". They seem like synonyms.

Anyway...
1. b
2. c
3. a
4. c
5. b
6. d
7. c
8. d
9. c
10. c
11. c
A naturalist but very near materialist.
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Do you have a decent definition of naturalist? I'm not up on my philosophy terms.
gentlehorse
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:00 pm

Post by gentlehorse »

1. b
2. c
3. c
4. b
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. a
9. a
10. c
11. c
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49694
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Post by Nyarlathotep »

My biggest problem with the quiz is question 3, because it would depend on the strength of the evidence. I assumed pretty firm evidence as per question 2.

My scores

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) c
5) b
6) c
7) c
8) d
9) a
10) c
11) c
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Hexxenhammer wrote:Do you have a decent definition of naturalist? I'm not up on my philosophy terms.
Well, it might be best to put what the author himself says about naturalism

A milder alternative to materialism is naturalism, the belief that everything that exists forms a unified whole, governed by the same laws. So naturalists expect the behaviour of living beings to be explained by the same principles as the behaviour of nonliving beings. (And they disbelieve vitalism, the view that living beings are fundamentally different from nonliving things.) And naturalists, like materialists, expect that human beings are part of the natural world, to be understood with the same theories and techniques.
BTW, the question about rainbows is clearly referring to whether colors are actually part of the external world, or whether colors as experienced are simply an "illusion" created by the mind etc.
JOKER
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:57 pm
Location: Vegas Baby, VEGAS!

Post by JOKER »

1. b
2. b
3. b
4. c
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. c
10. d
11. c
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

gentlehorse wrote:1. b
2. c
3. c
4. b
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. a
9. a
10. c
11. c
A semi-idealist but only just. Just 1 point separates you from a naturalist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Nyarlathotep wrote:My biggest problem with the quiz is question 3, because it would depend on the strength of the evidence. I assumed pretty firm evidence as per question 2.

My scores

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) c
5) b
6) c
7) c
8) d
9) a
10) c
11) c
A naturalist very close to materialist. Same score as Hexxenhammer if I recollect correctly.
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49694
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Interesting Ian wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:My biggest problem with the quiz is question 3, because it would depend on the strength of the evidence. I assumed pretty firm evidence as per question 2.

My scores

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) c
5) b
6) c
7) c
8) d
9) a
10) c
11) c
A naturalist very close to materialist. Same score as Hexxenhammer if I recollect correctly.
Given the defintion of naturalist you gave Hexxenhammer, I'll buy that I could be considered a naturalist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

JOKER wrote:1. b
2. b
3. b
4. c
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. c
10. d
11. c
Naturalist. Slightly closer to semi-idealist than materialist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

In case anyone in interested here are my answers. I got semi-idealist but just 1 point away from an idealist.

1. d
2. c
3. b
4. a
5. d
6. a
7. d
8. b
9. d
10. a
11. c
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Interesting Ian wrote:In case anyone in interested here are my answers. I got semi-idealist but just 1 point away from an idealist.

1. d
2. c
3. b
4. a
5. d
6. a
7. d
8. b
9. d
10. a
11. c
Actually, adding up my score puts me as being an idealist. Maybe put 1 answer slightly different than first time round.
Nigel
Posts: 7990
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

1) A
2) C
3) A
4) D
5) C
6) A
7) C
8 A
9) A
10) D
11) A

This seems to very open to interpretation. For example, (4) That human beings can survive death... does that mean life after death? (I presume that's it), nde, surviving a car crash that kills someone else, etc.

(11) Wordy. If people do not believe themselves to be biological organisms, then what do they believe themselves to be? Again, the crux of the question is patterns of behavior, and whether or not we believe we're above the animal world (if I interpret that right).

On the whole, I place quizzes like this in about the same category as the love quizzes in Cosmopolitan magazine. Might be fun, but you cannot possibly take it seriously.

So, Ian, where'd I score?
gentlehorse
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:00 pm

Post by gentlehorse »

Interesting Ian wrote:
A semi-idealist but only just. Just 1 point separates you from a naturalist.
Cool. What does the author have to say about the definition of "semi-idealist"?
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Nigel wrote:1) A
2) C
3) A
4) D
5) C
6) A
7) C
8 A
9) A
10) D
11) A

This seems to very open to interpretation.
I don't have any problem in understanding any of the questions. All seem pretty straightforward to me.
For example, (4) That human beings can survive death... does that mean life after death? (I presume that's it), nde, surviving a car crash that kills someone else, etc.

It means what it says. Is it possible we survive the death of our bodies. I don't know how straightforward the questions need to be before people understand them.

(11) Wordy. If people do not believe themselves to be biological organisms, then what do they believe themselves to be?
What does that mean? Why do they have to be anything?

Again, the crux of the question is patterns of behavior, and whether or not we believe we're above the animal world (if I interpret that right).
If we are an animal like all other animals, then the question is saying, would such people who believe that, perhaps treat people differently from people who believe we are all special in some way. For example people think it's perfectly ok to eat non-human animals. Therefore maybe those who think we are animals too might not have a great deal of regard for human animals either. I believe that's the sort of thing it is getting at.

On the whole, I place quizzes like this in about the same category as the love quizzes in Cosmopolitan magazine. Might be fun, but you cannot possibly take it seriously.
No-one takes these quizzes seriously, nor should they do. Nevertheless it seems to be panning out pretty much what we confess to subscribe to. So perhaps not totally useless.

So, Ian, where'd I score?

Naturalist but very nearly materialist. Same score as Hex and Ny.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

gentlehorse wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:
A semi-idealist but only just. Just 1 point separates you from a naturalist.
Cool. What does the author have to say about the definition of "semi-idealist"?
Well it just says you think that science is a useful but potentially misleading tool.

And for idealism it says you think that science is at best a partial guide to the truth, and that not everything about humans and other thinking creatures can be described by it.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Interesting Ian wrote:
gentlehorse wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:
A semi-idealist but only just. Just 1 point separates you from a naturalist.
Cool. What does the author have to say about the definition of "semi-idealist"?
Well it just says you think that science is a useful but potentially misleading tool.

And for idealism it says you think that science is at best a partial guide to the truth, and that not everything about humans and other thinking creatures can be described by it.
Of course this is extremely misleading. Idealists' recognise science for what it is and its legitimate scope. In this context idealism is actually consonant with science; unlike naturalism and materialism.
zer0vector
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:46 pm
Location: Living in a van down by the river

Post by zer0vector »

1.b
2.c
3.b
4.c
5.c
6.c
7.c
8.d
9.b
10.c
11.a
Stimpson J. Cat
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:51 pm
Location: Eindhoven

Post by Stimpson J. Cat »

1. b
2. c
3. a or b. Not enough information is provided to choose.
4. c
5. b
6. b
7. c
8. None of the above
9. a
10. c or d. I don't know what the intended difference between "likely" and "probable" is.
11. None of the above.

Not a very well constructed set of questions, if you ask me.
Of course this is extremely misleading. Idealists' recognise science for what it is and its legitimate scope. In this context idealism is actually consonant with science; unlike naturalism and materialism.
An awful strong assertion, coming from somebody who doesn't actually know anything about science, or even understand what science is. :roll:


Dr. Stupid
MRC_Hans
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by MRC_Hans »

OK, I'll bite and answer without reading subsequent posts. Notr that I give a damn what 'ism II wants to pin on me, but there might be a sensible debate in this.

(1) b

(2) c

(3) b

(4) c

(5) b

(6) b

(7) c

(8) d

(9) a

(10) d

(11) c

Some of the questions are a bit limited in the options.

Hans
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

weird. Paranormal maybe??????????????
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49694
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

weird. Paranormal maybe??????????????
because an 8 followed by a ) makes a 8) unless you intentionally disable smilies in your post. When you quote it breaks it back up, just like ay other smily symbol
LostAngeles
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:44 pm
Location: L.A., way too close to the Scientology Center

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by LostAngeles »

Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

weird. Paranormal maybe??????????????
because an 8 followed by a ) makes a 8) unless you intentionally disable smilies in your post. When you quote it breaks it back up, just like ay other smily symbol
So it is paranormal. Hmmmm....
DanishDynamite
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:58 pm
Location: Copenhagen

Post by DanishDynamite »

Oh, goodie. An 11-question questionaire that determines my view of the Universe:

1. b
2. c
3. a
4. d
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. b
10. d
11. c
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49694
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hexxenhammer wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

weird. Paranormal maybe??????????????
because an 8 followed by a ) makes a 8) unless you intentionally disable smilies in your post. When you quote it breaks it back up, just like ay other smily symbol
So it is paranormal. Hmmmm....
Well, all of the smilies can bemade by inserting certain symbols, so a : followed by a ( makes a :( and a : followed by a D makes a :D and so on.

Hadn't you noticed that before?
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Hexxenhammer wrote:slight derail...

why does that sunglasses smiley keep showing up for someone's number 8? If you hit quote, the post looks normal.

weird. Paranormal maybe??????????????
because an 8 followed by a ) makes a 8) unless you intentionally disable smilies in your post. When you quote it breaks it back up, just like ay other smily symbol
So it is paranormal. Hmmmm....
Well, all of the smilies can bemade by inserting certain symbols, so a : followed by a ( makes a :( and a : followed by a D makes a :D and so on.

Hadn't you noticed that before?
Uhh........no.
Yahweh
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:05 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Yahweh »

Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
Sorgoth
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:13 pm

Post by Sorgoth »

*Shrug* I answered the nearest to what I thought:

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. c
6. c
7. c
8. a
9. a
10. d
11. c

Hmm...lots of cs :p
LostAngeles
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:44 pm
Location: L.A., way too close to the Scientology Center

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by LostAngeles »

Yahweh wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
I agree. They all seemed a tad off, but most especially the one about "surviving death." I grasp that it's asking about an afterlife, but that's still a contradiction, there.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

zer0vector wrote:1.b
2.c
3.b
4.c
5.c
6.c
7.c
8.d
9.b
10.c
11.a
Naturalist. Almost materialist. Same score as Hex and co.
Nigel
Posts: 7990
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Nigel »

LostAngeles wrote:
I agree. They all seemed a tad off, but most especially the one about "surviving death." I grasp that it's asking about an afterlife, but that's still a contradiction, there.
This is what I wrote about the death question:
For example, (4) That human beings can survive death... does that mean life after death? (I presume that's it), nde, surviving a car crash that kills someone else, etc.
And this is II's response:
It means what it says. Is it possible we survive the death of our bodies. I don't know how straightforward the questions need to be before people understand them.
(See above, this thread.)
Nigel
Posts: 7990
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

Interesting Ian wrote:
Naturalist. Almost materialist. Same score as Hex and co.
So what is this telling you Ian?
slimshady2357
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:53 pm

Post by slimshady2357 »

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) b
5) c
6) a
7) c
8 ) a
9) b
10) d
11) c
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Stimpson J. Cat wrote:1. b
2. c
3. a or b. Not enough information is provided to choose.
4. c
5. b
6. b
7. c
8. None of the above
9. a
10. c or d. I don't know what the intended difference between "likely" and "probable" is.
11. None of the above.
I cannot give you a score unless you answer all questions.

But, having said that:

I agree about question 3. But choose one anyway, huh?

I also absolutely agree about question 8. However, just choose the one you feel most sympathetic about.

Regarding question 10, I agree with you again. I just took likely to mean "on the balance of odds" and probable to mean "very suggestive". As I say, you'll need to choose in order for me to score.

It's only a daft quiz. Let's not try to score cheap points over this.

Not a very well constructed set of questions, if you ask me.
Well, arguably. I think they're as good as any other questionnaire though.
Of course this is extremely misleading. Idealists' recognise science for what it is and its legitimate scope. In this context idealism is actually consonant with science; unlike naturalism and materialism.
An awful strong assertion, coming from somebody who doesn't actually know anything about science, or even understand what science is. :roll:
Your former statement is essentially correct; your latter statement is way off.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

MRC_Hans wrote:OK, I'll bite and answer without reading subsequent posts. Notr that I give a damn what 'ism II wants to pin on me, but there might be a sensible debate in this.

(1) b

(2) c

(3) b

(4) c

(5) b

(6) b

(7) c

(8) d

(9) a

(10) d

(11) c

Some of the questions are a bit limited in the options.

Hans
Han's, this is not my quiz. I do not say that it accurately reveals a persons views. So let's just get that out of the way. I most certainly do not wish to "pin" any label upon you.

Natuaralist. Again the exact same score as about 4 others now.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Please give a list like everyone else was good enough to do. I am not going to waste my time with people who just can't be bothered.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

DanishDynamite wrote:Oh, goodie. An 11-question questionaire that determines my view of the Universe:

1. b
2. c
3. a
4. d
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. b
10. d
11. c
Naturalist, nearly materialist. Again the exact same score as about 5 others now.

I'll give the scoring system soon. I find it astounding that so many people are getting the exact same score. Maybe adding up wrong?? :shock: