A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Interesting Ian

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

Yahweh wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.
Limitations of such quizzes. You have to take it seriously, otherwise there's no point.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)
You have failed to answer the question.
(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real
OK, they are real.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.
Your comments are both vacuous and irrelevent. As I said to LostAngeles, you need to provide your answers in a list before I agree to score.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
If you do not like them, then do not respond at all.

Interesting Ian

Sorgoth wrote:*Shrug* I answered the nearest to what I thought:

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. c
6. c
7. c
8. a
9. a
10. d
11. c

Hmm...lots of cs :p
Naturalist. About slap bang in the middle between semi-idealist and materialist.

Interesting Ian

LostAngeles wrote:
Yahweh wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
I agree. They all seemed a tad off, but most especially the one about "surviving death." I grasp that it's asking about an afterlife, but that's still a contradiction, there.
It is as clear as a question could be that it was asking about an "afterlife" as you put it. I fail to see any contradiction. Please inform me as to this contradiction.

Are you aware the author almost certainly does not subscribe to survival?(or the "afterlife as you put it). It's a quiz to try and give some hints as to your metaphysical position. That is all.

Interesting Ian

slimshady2357 wrote:1) b
2) c
3) b
4) b
5) c
6) a
7) c
8 ) a
9) b
10) d
11) c
Semi-idealist . .but just missed natuaralist by 1 point. I think same as gentlehorse if I recollect correctly.

Sorgoth

Post by Sorgoth »

Ian, could you explain the difference between naturalist and materialist to me?

I may have been describing myself wrong...I'm not sure. (I tend to describe myself as a materialist).

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand »

Ian, I am hoping you would be interested in scoring my answers. In case you care to do so (and I'm kind of curious too), here they are:

1 (a)
2 (c)
3 (b)
4 (d)
5 (a)
6 (a)
7 (d)
8 (d)
9 (a)
10 (d)
11 (a)

I suspect I will come out a naturalist very near to materialist, or a straight out materialist. I am optimistic that I am a hard materialist.

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Interesting Ian

Cool Hand wrote:Ian, I am hoping you would be interested in scoring my answers. In case you care to do so (and I'm kind of curious too), here they are:

1 (a)
2 (c)
3 (b)
4 (d)
5 (a)
6 (a)
7 (d)
8 (d)
9 (a)
10 (d)
11 (a)

I suspect I will come out a naturalist very near to materialist, or a straight out materialist. I am optimistic that I am a hard materialist.

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Won't send

Interesting Ian

Cool Hand wrote:Ian, I am hoping you would be interested in scoring my answers. In case you care to do so (and I'm kind of curious too), here they are:

1 (a)
2 (c)
3 (b)
4 (d)
5 (a)
6 (a)
7 (d)
8 (d)
9 (a)
10 (d)
11 (a)

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Fuck! Have to bloody write it out again.

You are a materialist. The first one according to this quiz.

LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles »

Interesting Ian wrote:
LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Please give a list like everyone else was good enough to do. I am not going to waste my time with people who just can't be bothered.
:roll: Takes more effort to bold, than to make a list, but here.

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) d
5) c
6) c
7) c
8) a
9) b
10)d
11)c

Sundog

Post by Sundog »

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. d
6. a
7. d
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. d

PixyMisa

Post by PixyMisa »

1. a
2. c
3. b
4. d
5. a
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. a

[Insert complaint about both the questions and the answers here.]
[url=http://mu.nu/]mu.nu[/url] - Your number one source of pengos on the web!

Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand »

Interesting Ian wrote:

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Fuck! Have to bloody write it out again.

You are a materialist. The first one according to this quiz.
Sorry you had to write it out. I must not have read the directions carefully.

Thanks, Ian. I knew it!!

Cool Hand
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Mooseboy

Post by Mooseboy »

My scores: I hope I am in RavenClaw!

1. B-unlikely

2.I like both b and c but I choose C.

3. B , you haven’t shown the link to astrology.

4. C

5. B

6. C

7. C

8. A

9. A

10. C

11. A

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Mooseboy wrote:My scores: I hope I am in RavenClaw!
Guffaw!
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Interesting Ian

LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:
LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Please give a list like everyone else was good enough to do. I am not going to waste my time with people who just can't be bothered.
:roll: Takes more effort to bold, than to make a list, but here.

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) d
5) c
6) c
7) c
8) a
9) b
10)d
11)c
A Naturalist. Pretty much slap bang in the middle between a materialist and semi-idealist.

Interesting Ian

Sundog wrote:1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. d
6. a
7. d
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. d
A Naturalist, but pretty close to being a semi-idealist.

Interesting Ian

PixyMisa wrote:1. a
2. c
3. b
4. d
5. a
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. a

[Insert complaint about both the questions and the answers here.]
A Materialist. Same score as kewl Luke I believe. Only the 2nd materialist so far.

Interesting Ian

Mooseboy wrote:My scores: I hope I am in RavenClaw!

1. B-unlikely

2.I like both b and c but I choose C.

3. B , you haven’t shown the link to astrology.

4. C

5. B

6. C

7. C

8. A

9. A

10. C

11. A
A naturalist. Pretty close to being a materialist though.

PixyMisa

Post by PixyMisa »

Interesting Ian wrote:A Materialist. Same score as kewl Luke I believe. Only the 2nd materialist so far.
Well :)

Even if the questions and answers could be better constructed, it does seem to give reasonable results.
[url=http://mu.nu/]mu.nu[/url] - Your number one source of pengos on the web!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Interesting Ian wrote:11 questions. Just choose a, b, c or d for each one. I won't tell you how to score at this juncture. But if you tell me your answers I'll inform you as to whether you fall under being a:

Materialist,

Naturalist,

Semi- idealist or,

Idealist (philosophical idealist that is).

As a matter of interest, the score I got put me as a semi-idealist; but only just. Only failed to be categorised as an idealist by 1 point.

The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

B.
C
B
D
B
C
C
C
A
D
C
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.