A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Hot topics in delusion and rationalization.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

Yahweh wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.
Limitations of such quizzes. You have to take it seriously, otherwise there's no point.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)
You have failed to answer the question.
(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real
OK, they are real.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.
Your comments are both vacuous and irrelevent. As I said to LostAngeles, you need to provide your answers in a list before I agree to score.


The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
If you do not like them, then do not respond at all.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Sorgoth wrote:*Shrug* I answered the nearest to what I thought:

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. c
6. c
7. c
8. a
9. a
10. d
11. c

Hmm...lots of cs :p
Naturalist. About slap bang in the middle between semi-idealist and materialist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

LostAngeles wrote:
Yahweh wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

That question is too generally phrased. I had to choose "actual" because I recognize shapes, colors, bodylanguage, postcards, and many other forms of communication without speech or electronics.

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

My official answer is (e) Energy and democracy are real

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers are in bold, my comments are in green.

The options were very limited, and the questions were poorly constructed.
I agree. They all seemed a tad off, but most especially the one about "surviving death." I grasp that it's asking about an afterlife, but that's still a contradiction, there.
It is as clear as a question could be that it was asking about an "afterlife" as you put it. I fail to see any contradiction. Please inform me as to this contradiction.

Are you aware the author almost certainly does not subscribe to survival?(or the "afterlife as you put it). It's a quiz to try and give some hints as to your metaphysical position. That is all.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

slimshady2357 wrote:1) b
2) c
3) b
4) b
5) c
6) a
7) c
8 ) a
9) b
10) d
11) c
Semi-idealist . .but just missed natuaralist by 1 point. I think same as gentlehorse if I recollect correctly.
Sorgoth
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:13 pm

Post by Sorgoth »

Ian, could you explain the difference between naturalist and materialist to me?


I may have been describing myself wrong...I'm not sure. (I tend to describe myself as a materialist).
Cool Hand
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:09 pm
Location: Earning my avatar in the rain

Post by Cool Hand »

Ian, I am hoping you would be interested in scoring my answers. In case you care to do so (and I'm kind of curious too), here they are:

1 (a)
2 (c)
3 (b)
4 (d)
5 (a)
6 (a)
7 (d)
8 (d)
9 (a)
10 (d)
11 (a)

I suspect I will come out a naturalist very near to materialist, or a straight out materialist. I am optimistic that I am a hard materialist.

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Cool Hand wrote:Ian, I am hoping you would be interested in scoring my answers. In case you care to do so (and I'm kind of curious too), here they are:

1 (a)
2 (c)
3 (b)
4 (d)
5 (a)
6 (a)
7 (d)
8 (d)
9 (a)
10 (d)
11 (a)

I suspect I will come out a naturalist very near to materialist, or a straight out materialist. I am optimistic that I am a hard materialist.

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Won't send
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Cool Hand wrote:Ian, I am hoping you would be interested in scoring my answers. In case you care to do so (and I'm kind of curious too), here they are:

1 (a)
2 (c)
3 (b)
4 (d)
5 (a)
6 (a)
7 (d)
8 (d)
9 (a)
10 (d)
11 (a)

I suspect I will come out a naturalist very near to materialist, or a straight out materialist. I am optimistic that I am a hard materialist.

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Fuck! Have to bloody write it out again.

You are a materialist. The first one according to this quiz.
LostAngeles
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:44 pm
Location: L.A., way too close to the Scientology Center

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by LostAngeles »

Interesting Ian wrote:
LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Please give a list like everyone else was good enough to do. I am not going to waste my time with people who just can't be bothered.
:roll: Takes more effort to bold, than to make a list, but here.

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) d
5) c
6) c
7) c
8) a
9) b
10)d
11)c
Sundog
Posts: 2578
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Post by Sundog »

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. d
6. a
7. d
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. d
PixyMisa
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:06 am

Post by PixyMisa »

1. a
2. c
3. b
4. d
5. a
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. a

[Insert complaint about both the questions and the answers here.]
Cool Hand
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:09 pm
Location: Earning my avatar in the rain

Post by Cool Hand »

Interesting Ian wrote:
I suspect I will come out a naturalist very near to materialist, or a straight out materialist. I am optimistic that I am a hard materialist.

8)

Cool Hand (AS)
Fuck! Have to bloody write it out again.

You are a materialist. The first one according to this quiz.
Sorry you had to write it out. I must not have read the directions carefully.

Thanks, Ian. I knew it!!

Cool Hand
Mooseboy
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by Mooseboy »

My scores: I hope I am in RavenClaw!

1. B-unlikely

2.I like both b and c but I choose C.

3. B , you haven’t shown the link to astrology.

4. C

5. B

6. C

7. C

8. A

9. A

10. C

11. A
Hexxenhammer
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Mooseboy wrote:My scores: I hope I am in RavenClaw!
Guffaw!
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:
LostAngeles wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote: (1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, <b>(b.) unlikely</b>, (c) possible, or (d) actual?

(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, <b>(c) expanded</b>, (d) left as it is?

(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, <b>(b) unknown causal processes</b>, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, <b>(d) impossible</b>.

(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, <b>(c) possible</b>, (d) probable.

(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, <b>(c) in raindrops</b>, (d) nowhere?

(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, <b>(c) ideas in our minds</b>, (d) objects independent of us.

(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): <b>(a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences</b>; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.

(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, <b>(b) possible</b>, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.

(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, <b>(d) probable</b>.

(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, <b>(c) the same as</b>, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
My answers bolded.
Please give a list like everyone else was good enough to do. I am not going to waste my time with people who just can't be bothered.
:roll: Takes more effort to bold, than to make a list, but here.

1) b
2) c
3) b
4) d
5) c
6) c
7) c
8) a
9) b
10)d
11)c
A Naturalist. Pretty much slap bang in the middle between a materialist and semi-idealist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Sundog wrote:1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. d
6. a
7. d
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. d
A Naturalist, but pretty close to being a semi-idealist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

PixyMisa wrote:1. a
2. c
3. b
4. d
5. a
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. a

[Insert complaint about both the questions and the answers here.]
A Materialist. Same score as kewl Luke I believe. Only the 2nd materialist so far.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Mooseboy wrote:My scores: I hope I am in RavenClaw!

1. B-unlikely

2.I like both b and c but I choose C.

3. B , you haven’t shown the link to astrology.

4. C

5. B

6. C

7. C

8. A

9. A

10. C

11. A
A naturalist. Pretty close to being a materialist though.
PixyMisa
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:06 am

Post by PixyMisa »

Interesting Ian wrote:A Materialist. Same score as kewl Luke I believe. Only the 2nd materialist so far.
Well :)

Even if the questions and answers could be better constructed, it does seem to give reasonable results.
Pyrrho
Posts: 31605
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Pyrrho »

Interesting Ian wrote:11 questions. Just choose a, b, c or d for each one. I won't tell you how to score at this juncture. But if you tell me your answers I'll inform you as to whether you fall under being a:

Materialist,

Naturalist,

Semi- idealist or,

Idealist (philosophical idealist that is).


As a matter of interest, the score I got put me as a semi-idealist; but only just. Only failed to be categorised as an idealist by 1 point.


The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?
B.
(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?
C
(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?
B
(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.
D
(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.
B
(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?
C
(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.
C
(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.
C
(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.
A
(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.
D
(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
C
Earthborn
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: Terra Firma

Post by Earthborn »

bcbbadcaaca

So what does that make me?
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

Pyrrho wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:11 questions. Just choose a, b, c or d for each one. I won't tell you how to score at this juncture. But if you tell me your answers I'll inform you as to whether you fall under being a:

Materialist,

Naturalist,

Semi- idealist or,

Idealist (philosophical idealist that is).


As a matter of interest, the score I got put me as a semi-idealist; but only just. Only failed to be categorised as an idealist by 1 point.


The quiz is from the book Philosophy in Practice by Adam Morton.

(1) Telepathy would occur when one person could receive another person's thoughts, without speech or electronics. On present evidence is telepathy (a) impossible, (b.) unlikely, (c) possible, or (d) actual?
B.
(2) Suppose that there were firm evidence of telepathy. Would this mean that physics ought to be (a) abandoned, (b) supplemented with a very different discipline, (c) expanded, (d) left as it is?
C
(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?
B
(4) That human beings can survive death is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) unlikely, (d) impossible.
D
(5) That today's physics may someday be seen as wildly inaccurate myth is (a) impossible, (b) unlikely, (c) possible, (d) probable.
B
(6) Where are rainbows: (a) in the sky, (b) in people's minds, (c) in raindrops, (d) nowhere?
C
(7) Numbers are (a) fictions, (b) marks on paper, (c) ideas in our minds, (d) objects independent of us.
C
(8) Compare democracy (in politics) and energy (in science): (a) energy and democracy are both just concepts we use to describe our experiences; (b) both energy and democracy are dubious concepts; (c) energy is a useful concept and democracy a dubious one; (d) energy is real and democracy is just an idea.
C
(9) A factor in many diseases is 'stress', which in part depends on a person's experiences and emotions. The suggestion that stress might one day be understood in purely physical terms is (a) likely, (b) possible, (c) improbable, (d) impossible.
A
(10) Brain chemistry seems to be connected with some severe mental disorders. The possibility that a person's personality might be completely explicable in terms of their brain chemistry is (a) crazy, (b) far-fetched, (c) likely, (d) probable.
D
(11) People who believe that they are biological organisms governed by biological principles are likely to treat other people in a way that is (a) more understanding than, (b) different from, (c) the same as, (d) less understanding than those who believe that humans are exceptions to the principles governing other animals behaviour.
C
A Naturalist, but just one point from being a materialist.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Earthborn wrote:bcbbadcaaca

So what does that make me?
A naturalist but very close to materialist. Same score as Ny, Hex and co (and one point from Pyrrho).
Pyrrho
Posts: 31605
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Pyrrho »

Interesting Ian wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Interesting Ian wrote:A Naturalist, but just one point from being a materialist.

I must point out that the phrasing of question 4 seems a trifle ambiguous to me, but perhaps it was your intention to determine how we define "human being". I tend to see the human being as a physical entity separate from the concepts of mind or spirit, thus, I could only choose D, because it is demonstrable that the physical body does not survive death. If the question had asked about the mind of a human being surviving death, I might have chosen C.
Yahweh
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:05 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Yahweh »

Interesting Ian wrote:
Yahweh wrote:(3) Suppose there were statistical evidence that the positions of the planets influence human fate. Would this be because of (a) an accident, (b) unknown causal processes, (c) something beyond our understanding, or (d) the truth of astrology?

Supersticion. (Not an unknown causal process, but the answer I consider to be "the least far off from the others".)
You have failed to answer the question.
"B" was bolded. The question is answered.
Interesting Ian wrote:Your comments are both vacuous and irrelevent.
Vacuous and irrelevant? So much venom in you.

http://216.218.248.155/datastore/11/83/ ... 079b4d.jpg
Interesting Ian wrote:As I said to LostAngeles, you need to provide your answers in a list before I agree to score.
Absolutely:

1. D
2. C
3. B
4. D
5. B
6. C
7. C
8. D
9. A
10. D
11. C

Interesting Ian wrote:If you do not like them, then do not respond at all.
http://216.218.248.155/datastore/9d/85/ ... b74465.jpg
viscousmemories
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:22 am

Post by viscousmemories »

  • a
  • b
  • b
  • c
  • c
  • b
  • c
  • d
  • b
  • d
  • c
Pyrrho
Posts: 31605
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Pyrrho »

http://216.218.248.155/datastore/11/83/ ... 079b4d.jpg
CARRIES TOXOPLASMOSIS

http://216.218.248.155/datastore/9d/85/ ... b74465.jpg
SITS ON YOUR DINNER PLATE
viscousmemories
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:22 am

Post by viscousmemories »

Is that second one a kitten or some other animal? Looks like a gremlin.
LostAngeles
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:44 pm
Location: L.A., way too close to the Scientology Center

Post by LostAngeles »

viscousmemories wrote:Is that second one a kitten or some other animal? Looks like a gremlin.
That's a kitten probably no more than a week or two or old from the folded ears.

The first one looks like one of mine, only black instead of grey.

So CUTE!
rwald
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:43 am
Location: Caltech

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by rwald »

1. a
2. c
3. b
4. d (though possibly c)
5. b
6. b
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. c

I'd like to state that I actually thought the test was fairly good, considering the original poster. (With the possible exception of question 8.) However, I would like to see the test's author's definitions of materialist, naturalist, semi-idealist, and idealist. By any chance is there a way we could see that?
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

rwald wrote:1. a
2. c
3. b
4. d (though possibly c)
5. b
6. b
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. c

I'd like to state that I actually thought the test was fairly good, considering the original poster.
This original poster is more likely to recognise a good test of ones metaphysical interpretation of reality than yourself.
rwald
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:43 am
Location: Caltech

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by rwald »

Interesting Ian wrote:This original poster is more likely to recognise a good test of ones metaphysical interpretation of reality than yourself.
Well, I'll admit that you did end up telling us your definitions of materialism and naturalism. I was happy, and somewhat amazed, to see this. If I say anything else, I will certainly derail this thread. Before I do so, I'll give the rest of the forum a couple of days to plead for its salvation. It's survived surprisingly long...
Cool Hand
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:09 pm
Location: Earning my avatar in the rain

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Cool Hand »

[quote="Yahweh"]
http://216.218.248.155/datastore/11/83/ ... 079b4d.jpg

Yahweh,

I had a kitten as a teenager that looked exactly like that one. He was one cool cat. He was built like a tank too.

Cool Hand
Nigel
Posts: 7990
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:33 am
Location: Brinsby

Post by Nigel »

Paul Tracy at work.
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Cont ... _CS_01.jpg
Mooseboy
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Post by Mooseboy »

Thanks Ian, a naturalist huh?

Guess I'll have to go look that up.

The true answer is that I am a JOKE!(FRom Master ian himself this very day)
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

Mooseboy wrote:Thanks Ian, a naturalist huh?

Guess I'll have to go look that up.

The true answer is that I am a JOKE!(FRom Master ian himself this very day)
Only if you are numerically identical to Dancing David. Are you?
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:20 pm

Post by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos »

Ooh, a quiz.

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. c
5. b
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. a
10. d
11. a

Some of the questions were quite confoozled.

~~ Paul
viscousmemories
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:22 am

Post by viscousmemories »

I demand your judgement! Please.

My answers
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: A quiz: Are you a materialist or idealist?

Post by Interesting Ian »

Yahweh wrote:
1. D
2. C
3. B
4. D
5. B
6. C
7. C
8. D
9. A
10. D
11. C
You've put telepathy as actual. Did you realise this?

Anyway, you got naturalist, almost materialist. The same score as Ny and Hex and co.
Interesting Ian
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by Interesting Ian »

viscousmemories wrote:
  • a
  • b
  • b
  • c
  • c
  • b
  • c
  • d
  • b
  • d
  • c
Naturalist.