Job search question

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Job search question

Post by Bearguin »

So, I'm looking for a new job.

A friend is also looking for a new job. We are both Chartered Accountants.

We've both applied for the same position in town (and about the only position in town advertised that either of us would consider, others are not paying enough).

We both know the other is after this job.

I've got an interview tomorrow. The slots they had were for tomorrow and Thursday.

He just sent me a message that he followed up with them and they told him they are reviewing resumes and will start booking interviews Friday.

My guess is they will get back to him if their first round doesn't go well.

Not sure if I should tell him I'm interviewing already.

This is a guy I drink with pretty regularly.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Job search question

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Odds are you're not the only two applicants.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Ever considered lion taming? Or quantity surveying?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Odds are you're not the only two applicants.
No question. I can probably name 3 other people I know who applied without asking.

Just not sure what I should tell him.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

asthmatic camel wrote:Ever considered lion taming?
I have a hat.

Seriously.

My wife bought me a hat that says "Lion Tamer". It doesn't light up and I can't claim it as reasonable expenses, but I do actually have a Lion Tamer hat.

And yes, I am too fucking boring to be of consequence.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Bearguin wrote:Just not sure what I should tell him.
Wait until you know if you've got the job.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

You said you drink with him regularly, right?

Then the answer is simple. At some point during the drinking he will almost certainly have to use the bathroom. Take advantage of this opportunity and poison his drink, preferably with digitalis because that will cause symptoms resembling a heart attack. Poof, you no longer have to worry about telling him AND there is one less competitor for the job.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

scarlet_35 wrote:I would tell him, if you get it the job eventually he's going to find out, better to know now than later. As your friend he should be happy one of you gets the job rather than neither.
If your friend gets the job, tell him you're happy for him.

If neither of you get the job, tell him better luck next time.

If you get the job, ask him where he got weak. :P

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Bearguin wrote:So, I'm looking for a new job.

A friend is also looking for a new job. We are both Chartered Accountants.

We've both applied for the same position in town (and about the only position in town advertised that either of us would consider, others are not paying enough).

We both know the other is after this job.

I've got an interview tomorrow. The slots they had were for tomorrow and Thursday.

He just sent me a message that he followed up with them and they told him they are reviewing resumes and will start booking interviews Friday.

My guess is they will get back to him if their first round doesn't go well.

Not sure if I should tell him I'm interviewing already.

This is a guy I drink with pretty regularly.
Tell him after you've interviewed.
TheAtheist

Post by TheAtheist »

Bearguin wrote:He just sent me a message that he followed up with them and they told him they are reviewing resumes and will start booking interviews Friday.
That comment tells you he's a goner - I do this for a living.

Tell him you're being interviewed. You may not get the job but he will not.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

TheAtheist wrote:
Bearguin wrote:He just sent me a message that he followed up with them and they told him they are reviewing resumes and will start booking interviews Friday.
That comment tells you he's a goner - I do this for a living.

Tell him you're being interviewed. You may not get the job but he will not.
If you do that for a living you can answer a question that has always bugged me.

When someone interviews for a job and they don't get the job but they call to follow up, why do the HR people always give such a bullshitty answer? Why can't they just politely tell you "No, you didn't get the job. Sorry." instead of always pussyfooting around and giving answers like the above?

It is something that has always driven me mad when looking for work.
gnome

Post by gnome »

To avoid having to hire as many people to handle conversations with peturbed rejected applicants.

You keep the language noncommittal, basically identify that the process of choosing candidates is going on, and that if they are selected for further interviews they will be contacted.

Any customer service drone with a telephone can rattle that off and send the applicant on their way. It takes a different kind (specifically a more expensive kind) of representative to handle upset callers.

I don't do it for a living, but this is my speculation on the matter.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Talked to him. He's cool with it.

And yeah, you never give the real reason you don't hire someone. Always say you found a candidate that was a better fit or some such bullshit. Actually explaining why opens you up to a lawsuit if you aren't careful.

Former boss told me to apply for a position to work with him, so I did. Heard nothing and finally called the recruiter and was told they were making an offer to someone. Fine.

My old boss called to explain they had found a candidate who really fit the bill. No problem.

2 days later he called again to say he found out that because I knew him, my resume was tossed. Well fuck.
Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand »

That sucks, Bearguin.

What does that mean? That your old boss isn't well regarded there? Why else would they have to toss your resume once they found out you knew him? I don't understand that.

Anyway, yeah. Fuck.

Good luck, man.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Cool Hand wrote:That sucks, Bearguin.

What does that mean? That your old boss isn't well regarded there? Why else would they have to toss your resume once they found out you knew him? I don't understand that.

Anyway, yeah. Fuck.

Good luck, man.

CH
My old boss was instrumental in pushing another person out and I would be replacing that person, so it was an issue of one guy having too much power.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I'm not asking why they don't tell you why you didn't get the job. I'm asking why they don't tell you that you didn't get the job. It's always some sort of bullshit like "Well, we are still reviewing candidates, blah blah blah blah".

Yeah, I know you don't want to have a discussion with each failed candidate, but it seems telling people flatly that they didn't get the job would end any discussion right quick.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Nyarlathotep wrote:I'm not asking why they don't tell you why you didn't get the job. I'm asking why they don't tell you that you didn't get the job. It's always some sort of bullshit like "Well, we are still reviewing candidates, blah blah blah blah".

Yeah, I know you don't want to have a discussion with each failed candidate, but it seems telling people flatly that they didn't get the job would end any discussion right quick.
An ended discussion is still longer than no discussion--they'd rather let people know by NOT contacting them.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I'm not asking why they don't tell you why you didn't get the job. I'm asking why they don't tell you that you didn't get the job. It's always some sort of bullshit like "Well, we are still reviewing candidates, blah blah blah blah".

An ended discussion is still longer than no discussion--they'd rather let people know by NOT contacting them.
Sometimes, as in the example with Bearguins friend, the people contact them. They still get the long-winded bullshit answer, one that further encourages (or at least fails to discourage) contacting them again.
Geni

Post by Geni »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Sometimes, as in the example with Bearguins friend, the people contact them. They still get the long-winded bullshit answer, one that further encourages (or at least fails to discourage) contacting them again.
In the case of Bearguins friend it's free insurence in case the first lot of interviews don't work out.

Heh my experence is somewhat different though. If a company actualy goes to the effort to interview you they will generaly go to the effort to say no.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Sometimes, as in the example with Bearguins friend, the people contact them. They still get the long-winded bullshit answer, one that further encourages (or at least fails to discourage) contacting them again.
Actually, I got the same treatment from girls I used to ask out in high school. So rarely did I get a distinct "no"... instead they'd fuss about how busy they were, and being a persistent dork I'd come back and ask again and again over time. I didn't have the maturity to understand if they were really interested they'd make time. But then again I suppose the girls didn't have the maturity to realize that dodging the confrontation just meant more weeks of this weirdo following you around and bugging you.

People will chase a "maybe". That principle should be taught in school. :P
--Soldier, TF2