The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: The UK thread

Post by Witness »

The Guardian wrote:Post-Brexit passports set to be made by Franco-Dutch firm

The post-Brexit blue passport will not be produced by the British firm that makes the current burgundy version, with sources suggesting the contract will be awarded to a Franco-Dutch firm instead.

Changing the colour is regarded by some Brexiters as a powerful symbol of Britain’s restored sovereignty.

But the British firm De La Rue has lost out on the contract to make them, its chief executive confirmed on Thursday morning. It is understood that Gemalto, which is listed on the French and Dutch stock exchanges, won the race for the £490m printing job.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Thursday morning, the chief executive of De La Rue, Martin Sutherland, challenged the prime minister or the home secretary to “come to my factory and explain my dedicated workforce why they think this is a sensible decision to offshore the manufacture of a British icon”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dutch-firm

The irony! :lmao:
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

The irony is that Britain couldn't exist without foreign trade; we're heavily reliant on imports for even basic necessities like food and power. Meanwhile, back in the good ol US of A, Donald Trump's trade war with China is off to a good start. :)

https://i.imgur.com/Qbqs5Hy.png
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Great buying market, thanks fools.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:No irony at all. Brexit doesn't mean an end to international trade.

It just happens that an EU member underbid Mexico and Taiwan. :BigGrin3:
You don't understand National Pride©, do you? https://s7.postimg.org/v56ygcnpn/sad0020.gif

The Telegraph, quite some time ago, wrote:Court refuses trial by combat

A court has rejected a 60-year-old man's attempt to invoke the ancient right to trial by combat, rather than pay a £25 fine for a minor motoring offence.

Leon Humphreys remained adamant yesterday that his right to fight a champion nominated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) was still valid under European human rights legislation. He said it would have been a "reasonable" way to settle the matter.

Magistrates sitting at Bury St Edmunds on Friday had disagreed and instead of accepting his offer to take on a clerk from Swansea with "samurai swords, Ghurka knives or heavy hammers", fined him £200 with £100 costs.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... ombat.html

:mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

BBC wrote:London murder rate overtakes New York's

A spike in violent crime in London saw more murders committed in the city in February and March than there were in New York, figures show.

So far in 2018, the Met Police has investigated 46 murders, compared with 50 in the US city.

But, while New York's murder rate decreased from the end of January, London's rose markedly from that point.

Ex-Met Police Ch Supt Leroy Logan says it is proof that "London's violent traits have become a virus".

Statistics from the New York Police Department (NYPD) and the Metropolitan Police, reported in the Sunday Times and obtained by the BBC, highlight narrowing murder rates between the two cities, which have similar population sizes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43610936
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Yours:
Don't drag me into this! :wink:

P. – S.:

https://s7.postimg.org/xi20lev97/reka-s ... 32abe5.jpg
Giz

Post by Giz »

Witness wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Yours:
Don't drag me into this! :wink:

P. – S.:

https://s7.postimg.org/xi20lev97/reka-s ... 32abe5.jpg
Looks poor. Can't even afford new buildings.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16136 ... tab-wound/
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was stabbed during a reported burglary this morning in Hither Green.

One of the burglary suspects, a 38-year-old man, was stabbed in the during a struggle with the resident and later died from his injuries.

A spokesman for the Met Police said it received a call at around 12.45am this morning to reports of a burglary in progress in South Park Crescent.

The spokesman told News Shopper: "The 78-year-old resident had found two males inside his address.

"A struggle ensued between one of the males and the homeowner.

"The man, aged 38, sustained a stab wound to the upper body."

The injured man, found collapsed in Further Green Road, was taken to a central London hospital by London Ambulance Service but died from his injuries at 3.37am.
Finally that 78-year-old pensioner is locked up and the streets will be safe again.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Good thing he did not have a gun.

Thousands could have died.

--J.D.
Giz

Post by Giz »

The police, under pressure over the surge in knife crime, will be able to claim that they have made an arrest in a stabbing.

This is good for the stats. Which is good for the chief superintendent's bonus. Whether it is good for you plebians is irrelevant.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Giz

Post by Giz »

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown [royale]
gnome

Post by gnome »

Grammatron wrote:http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16136 ... tab-wound/
A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was stabbed during a reported burglary this morning in Hither Green.

One of the burglary suspects, a 38-year-old man, was stabbed in the during a struggle with the resident and later died from his injuries.

A spokesman for the Met Police said it received a call at around 12.45am this morning to reports of a burglary in progress in South Park Crescent.

The spokesman told News Shopper: "The 78-year-old resident had found two males inside his address.

"A struggle ensued between one of the males and the homeowner.

"The man, aged 38, sustained a stab wound to the upper body."

The injured man, found collapsed in Further Green Road, was taken to a central London hospital by London Ambulance Service but died from his injuries at 3.37am.
Finally that 78-year-old pensioner is locked up and the streets will be safe again.
A follow up says he's out on bail.

The same news agency reports on self-defense laws below.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16137 ... -intruder/
In reality there have been few prosecutions in instances such as these, but cases will be dealt with on an individual basis and in many circumstances a jury will have the final say.
With few prosecutions on this type, I think it's fair to suppose the homeowner did not fall afoul of these laws simply because he defended himself and the person got harmed. Of course, everyone's going to argue like the right of self defense is under referendum.
WildCat

Post by WildCat »

gnome wrote:With few prosecutions on this type, I think it's fair to suppose the homeowner did not fall afoul of these laws simply because he defended himself and the person got harmed. Of course, everyone's going to argue like the right of self defense is under referendum.
There's been no evidence presented that he did anything wrong.

In a sane world the surviving burglar would be charged with murder, since the death resulted from his felonious actions.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

He should sue the owner for maintaining an unsafe home.

What?

--J.D.
asthmatic camel

WildCat wrote:
gnome wrote:With few prosecutions on this type, I think it's fair to suppose the homeowner did not fall afoul of these laws simply because he defended himself and the person got harmed. Of course, everyone's going to argue like the right of self defense is under referendum.

In a sane world the surviving burglar would be charged with murder, since the death resulted from his felonious actions.
The guy was arrested "on suspicion of murder", fairly routine procedure when somebody has died as the result of a fracas. It's now up to the Crown Prosecution Service to decide whether or not he used "reasonable force" in protecting himself and his property. On the information available, I'd be surprised if he's prosecuted but it's a possibility.

In a similar case, old farmer Tony Martin was succesfully prosecuted because he shot an intruder in the back as he was attempting to flee the premises and this was judged to be excessive force.
asthmatic camel

Update: No charges are to be brought in this case.
A pensioner who was arrested for fatally stabbing an intruder in his home is to face no further action.

Henry Vincent, 37, died following a break-in at a south east London property belonging to Richard Osborn-Brooks on Wednesday.

Mr Osborn-Brooks, 78, was arrested on suspicion of murder and released on bail, but on Friday the Metropolitan Police told him no further action will be taken.

Following consultations with the Crown Prosecution Service, the force said it had informed Vincent's family of the development and explained to them the reasons why no charges will be brought.

Detective chief inspector Simon Harding said: "This is a tragic case for all of those involved.

"As expected with any incident where someone has lost their life, my officers carried out a thorough investigation into the circumstances of the death.
Source.
gnome

Post by gnome »

WildCat wrote:
We've seen all the evidence presented? It might not all be currently unavailable, or some information conveniently left out to sell the "homeowner charged when defending his home" angle? We've never seen that before, of course, not ever. It seems clear the police are not in the habit of prosecuting people in this situation (cf. "few prosecutions"), so doesn't that imply more information than we have?

Edit: it seems the answer is that the decision to prosecute had not yet been made.
Last edited by gnome on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Thanks for the extra info AC.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I have mentioned this before. See if the Majick of the Interwebz helps:

Yes!
N.y. Mugger Just Got A Good Lesson
January 31, 1989|By Mike Royko.
New Yorkers love to debate, argue, quarrel, and-most of all-psychoanalyze themselves and each other.

In what other city would the leading movie critic jump all over Woody Allen for making a movie that was simply funny, rather than using his gifts of insight to tell New Yorkers about their inner selves?

That actually happened. And Woody Allen apparently took the critic seriously and stopped making funny movies. Now he makes dour movies that are viewed only by his fellow neurotics.

What New Yorkers enjoy most, though, are guilt trips. They like experiencing them and, even more, they enjoy sharing the guilt with others.

One of the all-time great New York guilt trips occurred almost 25 years ago when a young woman named Kitty Genovese was murdered on a street in Queens.

More than two dozen people heard her screams, but only one called the cops and none left their homes to help her.

This became known as the ``Genovese Syndrome,`` and more than 1,000 articles and books were written on the case, asking the question: Why didn`t anyone help?

The question was never fully answered. Some of the do-nothings were afraid of getting involved. Others weren`t sure what was happening. A few were callous. But it made New Yorkers feel guilty and many of them said it reflected a national indifference to the suffering of others.

Which was nonsense then and is nonsense now. Every day, all over America, ordinary people help strangers, often at their own risk. What made the Genovese case news, something unusual, was that no one did anything.

Now New Yorkers are wrestling with another ethical and moral issue. Or at least that`s the way it is being presented. A headline in the New York Times described it as: ``A Mugging and a Mob Evoke Debate.``

What happened was that a 67-year-old man got on an elevator in a housing project in Brooklyn.

Also on the elevator was a much younger man, age 24, who drew a knife and demanded the older man`s money.

Before the robbery was completed, the younger man had slashed his victim in the face with the knife.

When the elevator stopped and the slasher got off, his victim began screaming the word: ``Chaptzum.`` In Yiddish, this means ``grab him,`` or something to that effect.

In that particular part of Brooklyn, there live many Hasidic Jews. And when they hear someone yell ``chaptzum,`` they react.

So dozens of them came running out of their homes, shouting ``chaptzum,` and chased the elevator mugger.

They caught him and were apparently zealous in making sure he didn`t get away.

By the time they finished restraining him, he was really restrained. When the cops and medics arrived, he was unconscious and at the hospital the doctors put him on the critical list.

The New York Times, which has a dignified style, didn`t come right out and say it, but it appears that many of those who caught the man gave him one hell of a beating. He was in far worse shape than the old man who was knifed, who had his facial wounds stitched and went right home.

But now there is a debate over whether it was right or wrong for the crowd to take it upon themselves to try to stomp the mugger into the pavement. Most of the Jews who live in that project-at least those quoted in the New York press-say they think that while the crowd might have been overly enthusiastic, what they did was basically just and proper.

However, in the black neighborhood a few blocks away, where the young man lives as an unemployed street person, they think the crowd was unnecessarily brutal.

``It was outrageous,`` one man was quoted. ``Fifty people beating up on one dude.``

And others, of all races and religious persuasions, are chiming in.

I phoned a friend of mine in New York and he said: ``Yes, some people are saying it means we are going to have an outbreak of vigilante behavior, and they are worried. Some of them say that if he wasn`t poor and homeless, he wouldn`t have to steal, that society drove him to it. And slash an old man's face, apparently. Then there are those who say that poverty is no excuse, and he deserved what he got. And you hear some people say they should have caught him, but they shouldn`t have worked him over. So you got all kinds of opinions.``

So once again New York is in a dither, it`s favorite condition. When nobody helped Kitty Genovese, society was callous. When an angry mob jumps a knife-wielding mugger, maybe that`s callous.

That movie critic could be right. Maybe Woody Allen should be New York`s official shrink.

Myself, I take a simplistic view. When somebody pulls a knife on a law-abiding old man, he does so at his own peril.

The fact that he`s still alive makes him a lucky young man. And it means that the crowd either showed some restraint or they all had small fists and feet.

I guarantee that if 50 people from Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago had chased him down, by the time the cops arrived, they wouldn`t have found enough of him to take a fingerprint.
--J.D.
Witness

Post by Witness »

From the Telegraph:

https://i.imgur.com/LbtXbg1.jpg
Woman injured during UK Wife Carrying Championships in Surrey

A competitor at the annual UK wife-carrying contest was stretchered off the Surrey course after being dropped on her head mid-race.

Footage posted online captured the painful moment the unidentified woman’s partner slipped on a muddy patch running on a downhill section of the 380-metre obstacle course in Dorking.

The unidentified pair tackled the treacherous course using the Estonian carry - where the 'wife' hangs upside-down on the carrier's back, with her legs positioned over his shoulders.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ps-surrey/

Boys to be allowed to wear skirts at leading boarding school

Boys will be allowed to wear skirts at one of the country’s leading boarding schools.

The headteacher of Uppingham School in Rutland, whose alumni include Stephen Fry and celebrity chef Rick Stein, said any boy asking to do so would find a sympathetic ear.

Richard Maloney, who joined the Uppingham in September 2016, said: “I would hope that any pupil could come to me and say, ‘This is who we are, this is how we wish to express ourselves. We want to wear these clothes’, and we would probably allow that.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... ng-school/

[image re-hosted]
Last edited by Witness on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Doctor X wrote:I have mentioned this before. See if the Majick of the Interwebz helps:

Yes!

--J.D.
I'm ok with it as long as they grab the right person, which with a vigilante mob is not always guaranteed.

Giz

Post by Giz »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:OK UKers.

Is this for real?

UK railway safety.jpeg

Yep.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1312 ... ght_track/
Giz

Post by Giz »

Hope no one in the UK clicks that hate-link!
Giz

Post by Giz »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Seriously what were those guys singing?

Anti-Muslim stuff?
In Scotland I’d assume rangers versus Celtic (Protestant soccer vs catholic soccer).
Witness

Post by Witness »

I'm sure you'll be thrilled:

https://i.imgur.com/LWRpQ5q.png

From The Crown Chronicles, no less. :mrgreen:
asthmatic camel

I'm only going to carry one of these, just to be on the safe...

https://i.imgur.com/JN841AL.jpg
asthmatic camel

It really is!

I want one, too but you'll have to smuggle one in for me because they don't ship to the UK. What about my LGBT rights??? :(

https://i.imgur.com/tSjNatD.png
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote:It really is!

I want one, too but you'll have to smuggle one in for me because they don't ship to the UK. What about my LGBT rights??? :(

https://i.imgur.com/tSjNatD.png
Want me to buy one and ship it to you?

not exactly what I was thinking when I aspired to be an international arms merchant.
ed

Post by ed »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Wanna be one of the kool kidz (or however you say that in English English) in the UK ...

https://www.knifefree.co.uk/

:lmao:
Really, really pathetic.
asthmatic camel

It's a kinda common sense approach. If you have "good reason" to carry a chef's knife in public, (like being a chef), you'll be OK. Otherwise you can end up in a whole heap of crap.

Legal shit.

The gay knife might be legal as the blade is less than 3" long. I can't tell if it's a lock knife though: if it is it isn't gay enough to be legal.
ed

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote:It's a kinda common sense approach. If you have "good reason" to carry a chef's knife in public, (like being a chef), you'll be OK. Otherwise you can end up in a whole heap of crap.

Legal shit.

The gay knife might be legal as the blade is less than 3" long. I can't tell if it's a lock knife though: if it is it isn't gay enough to be legal.
Didn't realize you lot were so murderous. Seems if you are presented with some string on a weight mayhem will ensue. Good thing the government is there for you.
asthmatic camel

I blame our proud military heritage, ed.

asthmatic camel

You'd be fine going to a store and buying chef's knives as long as you are over 18, (I seem to remember that it's a good idea not to remove the packaging until you get home.) You are not allowed to have them delivered to your home.
asthmatic camel

You'd be asked for ID unless obviously over 18, same applies to other regulated products like alcohol, tobacco & solvents. They don't take names and addresses.
ed

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote:I blame our proud military heritage, ed.

https://sites.google.com/site/friendsof ... &width=875

With one arm and one eye he'd kick your sorry ass.

This guy ....
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/ ... 08x425.jpg

He'd do with one foot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pond.html
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So in terms of ownership at home, really no restriction. But mail order not allowed.

Any incidents of yobbos mail ordering such things?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vil ... Droogs.jpg
That's about right.

Amazon were found to be selling illegal flick knives to British kids by mail order.
After the death of Bailey Gwynne, a teenager stabbed to death at his school with a £40 knife another student had ordered on Amazon, a Guardian investigation found that the US retailing giant was still selling age-restricted folding knives with no checking procedure to ensure they were being safely collected by adults.

Gwynne’s 16-year-old killer had circumvented Amazon’s age-verification checks and bought the 8.5cm knife by pinning a note to his front door rather than accepting delivery in person and having to prove that he was 18.

Six months after Gwynne’s death, a Guardian reporter was still able to receive age-restricted knives from Amazon without any checks by posting a similar note to the door of a family home.
Source.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

When I was a kid in USSR I had a pocket knife and this hand-made knife.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Where the fuck is the NSTA when we need them?
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

This BBC headline confused me:

Commonwealth meeting: Queen hopes Prince Charles will succeed her
The Queen has appealed to Commonwealth leaders to appoint her son, Prince Charles, to succeed her as their head.

She said it was her "sincere wish" that Prince Charles takes over "one day", as she opened the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London.

The role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

The 53 leaders, gathered at Buckingham Palace, are expected to sign off the deal when they meet on Friday.

There had been some suggestions that the position should be rotated around member states, the BBC's James Landale says.

Addressing the gathering of dignitaries, royals and the prime minister, the Queen said it was a "pleasure, this time, to welcome you to my home" for the biennial meeting.
When I first read it, I thought maybe they were saying that Prince Charles might not necessarily take over as king of the United Kingdom. But I think that's pretty much a given. This is about whether he will also be the head of the Commonwealth, which includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of other nations. For 16 of them, she is officially the head of state, which is why you see her face on Canadian money for example.
She said it remained a "great pleasure and honour to serve you" and to observe "with pride and satisfaction that this is a flourishing network".

She added: "It is my sincere wish that the Commonwealth will continue to offer stability and continuity for future generations, and will decide that one day the Prince of Wales should carry on the important work started by my father in 1949."

Other issues under discussion at the two-day summit include ocean conservation, cyber security, and trade between the countries.

Singer Emeli Sande began proceedings with a rendition of the National Anthem in the palace's ballroom.

Some interesting pictures. Is the Prime Minister of New Zealand drinking while pregnant? The photo and caption seem to suggest it, but of course something non-alcoholic could be in the glass.