Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
xouper

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by xouper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 am

Witness wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:02 am
Canada:
Free speech policy mandatory on campuses in new year

. . . “The policy will not only protect free speech but ensure that hate speech, discrimination and other illegal forms of speech are not allowed on campus.”
The problem is not so much how to define free speech, but rather how to define hate speech. In the US, so-called "hate speech" is protected by the Constitution. Canadians have no such protection, and all it takes to censor speech you don't like it to have it declared "hate speech". Which is what they do. And it has proven to be a slippery slope.

I see Wildcat has beat me to it.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:44 am

So the "free speech policy" is actually a policy forbidding certain types of speech.

Yep. Exactly what constitutes "hate speech" and "discrimination and other illegal forms of speech," well I guess that's for the snowflakes to decide.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 am

We keep defending snowflakes, why no defense of windflakes or rainflakes?

#minorityflakesmatter!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm

We can all agree hazing is bad, right? :)

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/10/brickbat-greek-life
The University of Virginia has suspended the Señoritas Latinas Unidas sorority for hazing. Officials agreed with a girl who pledged the sorority that a requirement that members study 25 hours a week violated the school's anti-hazing policy. The sorority has sued the college in federal court, complaining that they are being discriminated against, noting other programs at the college with similar study requirements.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:24 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm
We can all agree hazing is bad, right? :)

https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/10/brickbat-greek-life
The University of Virginia has suspended the Señoritas Latinas Unidas sorority for hazing. Officials agreed with a girl who pledged the sorority that a requirement that members study 25 hours a week violated the school's anti-hazing policy. The sorority has sued the college in federal court, complaining that they are being discriminated against, noting other programs at the college with similar study requirements.
I found this hard to believe on it's face so I checked the source story.

Reason left out a very important and probably relevant fact:

"According to allegations in a lawsuit . . ."

Preface the first sentence in the above paragraph with that, and note that the defendant, The University of Virginia, was not asked for comment.

Anyway, there must be more to it. Hazing, real hazing, exists and it's not merely telling pledges to spend 25 hours per week studying.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 am

WildCat wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 am
“The policy will not only protect free speech but ensure that hate speech, discrimination and other illegal forms of speech are not allowed on campus.”

It doesn't get any more Orwellian than that.

Back in my public defender days, when I was still young and naive, I used to challenge "fighting words" charges. I don't think I ever won any of those cases.

The prosecutors were usually decent people who thought they were doing the right thing. But if you give them a tool, they're going to use it. And it's no great leap to see how the "No, this isn't a First Amendment violation because because these words lead to fights" changed into "No, this isn't a First Amendment violation because these words hurt people's feelings. Oh, and 'racism.'"

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 am

shuize wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 am
WildCat wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 am
“The policy will not only protect free speech but ensure that hate speech, discrimination and other illegal forms of speech are not allowed on campus.”

It doesn't get any more Orwellian than that.

Back in my public defender days, when I was still young and naive, I used to challenge "fighting words" charges. I don't think I ever won any of those cases.

The prosecutors were usually decent people who thought they were doing the right thing. But if you give them a tool, they're going to use it. And it's no great leap to see how the "No, this isn't a First Amendment violation because because these words lead to fights" changed into "No, this isn't a First Amendment violation because these words hurt people's feelings. Oh, and 'racism.'"
If there's an exception for "fighting words" then over time, what constitutes "fighting words" could change.

Why do certain words lead to fights? Is it not because those words hurt people's feelings?

I feel like it's hard to define a bright line between "fighting words" and anything else that might cause offense to some people.

Popehat would probably have something to say about this.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 am

Popehat has done a podcast on the Supreme Court case Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:25 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:04 am
We keep defending snowflakes, why no defense of windflakes or rainflakes?

#minorityflakesmatter!

--J.D.
Or Cornflakes, Jeff Flakes, Dandruff flakes, etc
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am

Teacher fired for making black students play slaves in class plans $1B lawsuit
A white city public school teacher — who claims she was wrongfully fired over a controversial lesson on slavery in which she was accused of having black students lie on the floor while she stepped on their backs — plans to sue the city for $1 billion.

Patricia Cummings, 37, was canned in October after complaints about the highly unorthodox teaching method that left some students feeling humiliated and singled out by the exercise.
Man, politcal correctness is out of control in this country if a white teacher can't make black students play slaves and step on their backs. :freedom:

Definitely needs at least a billion dollars for her trouble. :poutpout:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 am

And think of how their students were deprived of her planned lesson for the following day: "A Lynching at Owl Hill."

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am
A white city public school teacher — who claims she was wrongfully fired over a controversial lesson on slavery in which she was accused of having black students lie on the floor while she stepped on their backs — plans to sue the city for $1 billion.

Patricia Cummings, 37, was canned in October after complaints about the highly unorthodox teaching method that left some students feeling humiliated and singled out by the exercise.

Ha. Ha. Ha. There is a phrase in Japanese about not being able to "read the air."

I don't think I've ever seen a better example.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 pm

shuize wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am

Ha. Ha. Ha. There is a phrase in Japanese about not being able to "read the air."

The irony is, I bet she was an SJW with a white savior complex.

Yeah, I know that expression too. 空気を読めない。
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm

I hate people who just throw random Japanese into the conversation. . . .

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 pm
The irony is, I bet she was an SJW with a white savior complex.

I don't know. No self-respecting SJW would ever be caught photographed holding the arm of a marine in his dress blues.

Yeah, I know that expression too. 空気を読めない。

The first time I heard the term "KY" in Japanese, I thought it had a very different meaning.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 pm

6a00d83451bedb69e200e5538271228834-pi.jpg
As late as the ’70s, the state of Virginia still used the popular textbook Virginia: History, Government, Geography by Francis B. Simkins, Spotswood H. Jones, and Sidman P. Poole, first published in 1957. Its chapter on slavery—“How the Negroes Lived under Slavery”—featured a well-dressed African-American family on board a ship shaking hands with a white man, who is presumed to be the family’s new owner. Here is how it describes slavery:

A feeling of strong affection existed between masters and slaves in a majority of Virginia homes . . . The house servants became almost as much a part of the planter’s family circle as its white members . . . The Negroes were always present at family weddings. They were allowed to look on at dances and other entertainments . . . A strong tie existed between slave and master because each was dependent on the other … The slave system demanded that the master care for the slave in childhood, in sickness, and in old age. The regard that master and slaves had for each other made plantation life happy and prosperous. Life among the Negroes of Virginia in slavery times was generally happy. The Negroes went about in a cheerful manner making a living for themselves and for those for whom they worked . . . But they were not worried by the furious arguments going on between Northerners and Southerners over what should be done with them. In fact, they paid little attention to these arguments.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-dixie ... hitewashed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 pm

shuize wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 am

Adding that to my vocabulary. 8)

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 pm
Adding that to my vocabulary. 8)

Well, since I'm not above repeating my jokes, you may be interested to know that the expression "kuuki ga yomenai" is often shortened to just to "KY." Although something tells me you already have that in your ... vocabulary.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Where's that "REPORT OFFENSIVE POST" button?

There it is!

Clickity click click click clickity click click click clickity click click click clickity click click click clickity click click click .....

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 am

Woman who failed frontline infantry fitness test was given a 'pass' by the Army until furious male soldiers who HAD completed course staged rebellion
  • Corporal Daisy Dougherty had failed the fitness test but was allowed to continue
  • She was hoping to become one of the Army’s first female infantry instructors
  • After those who failed were allowed to continue, some angry soldiers rebelled
  • Eventually, fearing a public outcry, commanders reversed their initial decision
[big snip]

Last night, a soldier on the course said: ‘The blokes were livid because it is written in black and white in the course handbook that if you fail the march, you’re pulled off the PSBC [Platoon Sergeants’ Battle Course] immediately. There is no review.

‘Commanders wanted to get Cpl Dougherty through the course, almost at any cost, even if she wasn’t fit enough and even if that meant leniency being shown to weaker male soldiers who also failed the march. We couldn’t believe they were still on the base and attending classes. It took a revolt among the troops and some people going to the Press to get this stopped.’
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... llion.html