errr ummm

The war between wetware and hardware.
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: errr ummm

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 pm
I use an external drive to store backup images of the hard drive, and I keep it disconnected unless I am running a backup, which I do every week.
OK ... I have a gazillion terebyte outboard drive. Just do a disk image thingie and I m good to go. Is that the idea?

WTF is going on when an honest man has to jump thru hoops like this? And why isn'r what Micro$oft did criminal?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 pm

hmmmm seems everything that windows wants to make a backup of is in c:\users\temp.library.0000

WTF?????????????????????

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 am

Aha! That's where all your crap is. It's probably reversed since I was in tech support. Used to be if they fucked up your profile you got forced into a different effective "temp user" when you logged in. Now I guess since everything's all clouds and shit and the username has to be the same, if you try to log in and it doesn't like your profile, it moves your stuff to a temp place instead.

Basically like if you go home and your door gets stuck because there's a chair in the way, it puts everything into an unoccupied house next door to clear out the room so that you can open your door.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:55 am

Microsoft Windows... it fucks up your shit.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:48 am

ed

Post by ed » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:19 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 am
Aha! That's where all your crap is. It's probably reversed since I was in tech support. Used to be if they fucked up your profile you got forced into a different effective "temp user" when you logged in. Now I guess since everything's all clouds and shit and the username has to be the same, if you try to log in and it doesn't like your profile, it moves your stuff to a temp place instead.

Basically like if you go home and your door gets stuck because there's a chair in the way, it puts everything into an unoccupied house next door to clear out the room so that you can open your door.
ScreenShot010.bmp
Look what I found. So how do I get the damn thing to look at ed as opposed to temp something or other?
BTW, it "hid" "USERS" :x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Is this really the solution???
https://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-you ... y-profile/

If you are getting the notification You've been signed in with a temporary profile notification below while signing in to your Windows 10 account, it means that you are signed in using a temporary profile,
:shock:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 am

You need professional help for your machine:

And don't forget to hang some garlic around the monitor. :|

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 am

ed wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:19 pm
gnome wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 am

ScreenShot010.bmp

Look what I found. So how do I get the damn thing to look at ed as opposed to temp something or other?
BTW, it "hid" "USERS" :x
Disclaimer--I haven't had to do this in a very long time. If it's an option to have an experienced computer geek there in person to help, that is preferable. But if you're keen to try it on your own...

Generally speaking--what you would do is move the contents of critical folders in the "Temp" folder scheme (once you've confirmed which particular one has all your stuff--be very clear which folders actually have the files you want) back to the corresponding folders in the "ed" folder. The important ones are:

Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Favorites
Music
Videos
Pictures

Though I'd keep the temp folder around for a while in case you discover you're still missing something.

Another useful thing to do, is use a drive space mapper -- Treesize Free is pretty good--to map out the files in the temp folder and subfolders. This will let you look for large files that are in odd places that you want to move out of there and to a permanent location.

It should not be necessary to fiddle with any system files--this is just about getting your own files and customizations back where they belong.
Last edited by gnome on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 am

ed wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:49 pm
Is this really the solution???
https://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-you ... y-profile/

If you are getting the notification You've been signed in with a temporary profile notification below while signing in to your Windows 10 account, it means that you are signed in using a temporary profile,
:shock:
Are you in fact getting that notification? It might be back to a more typical situation where your stuff is right where it belongs, and you keep logging into the temporary profile. So:

-- If your files are found in the ed\... path, follow the directions in that link.
-- If your files are found in one of the temporary paths, try following the directions I gave you.

You could also try--if it's the first scenario and you don't want to follow their directions--renaming the "ed" folder to something else like "ed_prime"... then rebooting and logging in as "ed" again, and following my directions to move the stuff in from the ed_prime folder.

I'm probably describing way too many what ifs and wherefores. Depends how comfortable you are with any of it. If you're not--getting help is better, just make sure the person sees where your files are, and make sure that you're backed up anyway.
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Thank you.

Fucking computers

At least you didn't suggest putting it in the freezer

or ... did you ????????

I'm going to the Tampa Gun Show today.

You know, one time a disk drive pissed me off and I blew it to kingdom come?

ed

Post by ed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:11 pm

gnome wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 am

-- If your files are found in the ed\... path, follow the directions in that link.
What link?

That horror that I posted?

:|

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Yes... Or the bolder plan I proposed of renaming the "ed" folder and logging in again. Warning... I have never attempted this on a Windows 10 system.
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:48 pm

OK.

I restarted my computer. Thats all I did. I changed nothing at all.

It now works again save that the bookmarks for firefox seem outdated.

Maybe this is the proof of the existence of the paranormal that we have looked for.

Seriously, Gnome, WTF????

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:48 pm
OK.

I restarted my computer. Thats all I did. I changed nothing at all.

It now works again
:o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The number one fix for almost all weird issues worked ... again! Amazing.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Windows 10 probably has some fancy scmancy error recovery that finally kicked in.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:53 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:33 pm
Windows 10 probably has some fancy scmancy error recovery that finally kicked in.
On reboot.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Wait, ed hadn't even rebooted?
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

It rebooted when it "fixed" windows.

oh ....... oh ......... oh

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:08 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:57 pm
Wait, ed hadn't even rebooted?
Nope. It was his last step.