Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Japan

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Weird
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:38 pm

Weird for Japan or weird in general?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 am

I think it's weird even for Japan.

I think there's something a little bit like confirmation bias, where reporting on Japan tends to focus on weird stuff, because that's what people want to read about. Non-weird stuff is just boring and nobody is particularly interested in hearing about it.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 am
I think it's weird even for Japan.

I think there's something a little bit like confirmation bias, where reporting on Japan tends to focus on weird stuff, because that's what people want to read about. Non-weird stuff is just boring and nobody is particularly interested in hearing about it.
Oooh!

Japan, like Florida ... :mrgreen:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 am

Man arrested for buying cup meant for 100-yen coffee but pouring 150-yen latte into it

Basically just what it says, although it wasn't the first time he did it. He was a regular customer of the convenience store and he had pulled this little trick several times before, so I guess they decided they had enough.

In America these days, do they prosecute minor shoplifting?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 am

Methinks the solution would have been to simply charge him the price of a latte.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:32 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:38 am
Methinks the solution would have been to simply charge him the price of a latte.

--J.D.
Indeed. And tell him, we're on to your little scam. Knock it off.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 am

A few months ago, I walked in to my local convenience store in Japan and found two clerks standing next to a yanki looking character. All three breathing hard. Turns out they caught him shoplifting and chased him down well away from the store. They had just dragged him back and were waiting on the police. I never did find out what the guy tried to steal, but I was impressed. I didn't think they'd do that here.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 am
Man arrested for buying cup meant for 100-yen coffee but pouring 150-yen latte into it

Basically just what it says, although it wasn't the first time he did it. He was a regular customer of the convenience store and he had pulled this little trick several times before, so I guess they decided they had enough.

It probably varies according to jurisdiction. But back in my day they did. When I was a law student intern with the local prosecutor's office, my boss said she'd prosecute every shoplifting case the local merchants filed so as to protect them from a later civil suit for unlawful confinment.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 am

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/01/ ... sequences/

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 am

Bonsai thieves appear to know exactly what they are after

On the morning of Jan. 13, Seiji Iimura, a bonsai grower in the city of Kawaguchi, noticed something amiss at his farm, where he cultivates about 3,000 bonsai trees.

Iimura, 54, realized that four pots were missing, all Shinpaku, a variety of Japanese cypress considered among the most gorgeous of bonsai plants and popular at home and abroad.

Iimura explained that one of the four trees, which he said he raised as "my own children," is estimated to be about 400 years old and can fetch at least 6 million yen ($54,545).

Only a handful of Shinpaku were on display at his farm, Kirakuen, which is 4,959 square meters wide.

“An individual well-versed in bonsai must have been involved in the theft,” he said.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201902050001.html

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 am

At that price it would a tempting target. More than the price of a fancy new car.

The only question is, can they actually figure out how to convert the bonsais into money without getting caught.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 am

William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:46 am

Suspected abuse of record-high 80,100 children reported in Japan in 2018

TOKYO – Police reported the suspected abuse of a record-high 80,104 minors aged below 18 to child welfare authorities in Japan in 2018 amid growing public awareness over the problem, government data showed Thursday.

The figure rose by 22.4 percent from a year earlier, surpassing 80,000 for the first time since comparable data became available in 2004, according to a preliminary data by the National Police Agency. It also marks a 2.8-fold rise from five years ago.

Police report suspected abuse cases to child consultation centers, which provide temporary shelter to children or dispatch staff to families with potentially abused children.

Concerns have rekindled over child abuse cases in Japan after a 10-year-old girl died in January at her home in Chiba Prefecture due to alleged abuse by her parents, with the investigation uncovering how a child welfare center, her school and other local authorities failed to respond promptly to the girl's call for help.
https://japantoday.com/category/crime/S ... an-in-2018

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 pm

How about a Japanese themed video game? :lmao:
Click for video of game play.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:23 am

Witness wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 am
Bonsai thieves appear to know exactly what they are after
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201902050001.html
Update:
Japanese bonsai owners urge thieves to water stolen 400-year-old tree worth $127,700

A Japanese couple has taken to social media to share detailed care instructions with the thieves they say stole seven bonsai trees from them — including one tree over 400 years old.
Key points:

Thieves reportedly identified the most valuable trees from the couple's Tokyo property, which boasts 3,000 bonsais
One of the couple's stolen trees is reported to be worth about $127,000
The practice of bonsai is considered an art form in Japan

The miniature trees, reportedly taken from a garden in the prefecture of Saitama, north of Tokyo, last month, are collectively worth at least $165,000, according to CNN.

The distraught owners said they were still hopeful their "tree babies" would be returned — but implored the thieves to take proper care of them.

Describing the 400-year-old Shimpaku Juniper bonsai as her "child", Fuyumi Iimura, the wife of the bonsai master who tended to the trees, wrote: "The bonsai [I*] raised like my child … are you giving [it] water properly?

"I'm so sad."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-12/ ... a/10804984

:|

[Included a * to counter BBCode]

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 pm

William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47271181
Thousands of near-naked men seeking luck have scrambled to find two sacred sticks as part of an ancient Japanese festival.

It's thought about 10,000 men wearing white loincloths took part in the ceremony at the Kinryozan Saidaiji Buddhist temple in Okayama on Saturday.

Participants were purified in water before scrambling to find sticks that had been thrown into the crowd.

Those who found the 20cm-long sticks, called "shingi", are believed to be the luckiest men of the year.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm

Has anyone ever followed up on these guys to see whether they really do have a lucky year?
William Shakespeare