Fukushima one year on

We are the Borg.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Fukushima one year on

Post by sparks »

Interesting read Witness. Thanks!
Witness

Post by Witness »

You're welcome. Just don't glow too much in the dark… :mrgreen:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:FAQ: Radiation from Fukushima, by an oceanographer from the Woods Hole Institution (March 2016).
Is radiation exposure from the ocean and beach a concern?
I stood on the deck of a ship l2 miles from the Fukushima reactors in June 2011 and was about one-half mile away as recently as October 2015 and the radiation detectors I was carrying showed little or no increase above background levels. Even the samples I collected (water, sediment, plants, and animals) from these locations are safe to handle without any precautions. In fact, our biggest problem is blocking interference from background radiation in our samples so we can isolate the trace levels of cesium and other radionuclides that we know came from Fukushima.
If the biggest problem is trying to distinguish it from the natural background radiation, I'd say that there's not much concern as long as you stay a couple hundred meters or more away from it.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote:If the biggest problem is trying to distinguish it from the natural background radiation, I'd say that there's not much concern as long as you stay a couple hundred meters or more away from it.
And there goes my fashion project! :x

http://1.1m.yt/E-zAeV.jpg
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Images of melted fuel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... d0fb7d2107
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Fascinating. Just like the Carlsbad Caverns. Only a bit warmer.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:Fascinating. Just like the Carlsbad Caverns. Only a bit warmer.
So you must be fucking jubilant. You've asked at least 36.4 times in this fucking thread where the core is. Now you fucking know: Right below, like we said 36.4 times.

You should go celebrate.
sparks

Post by sparks »

It might just as easily be in the concrete below or the dirt below that Rob. Besides, those dribbles of corium hardly represent all of the core material.

Oh, and fuck you! :)
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote:It might just as easily be in the concrete below or the dirt below that Rob. Besides, those dribbles of corium hardly represent all of the core material.

Wherever it is it is under the reactor.
Oh, and fuck you! :)
That's a $1.05.
sparks

Post by sparks »

BWAHAHA...
robinson

Post by robinson »

Well, it took almost four years to figure out and photograph Three Mile island, and that was a partial meltdown (not melt through like the three Fukushima reactors), with all the fuel still in the reactor. So 6 years to get a video of reactor 3 fuel is pretty good.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Unlike Chernobyl, at least they are planning on doing something about it.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan Government Not Responsible For Fukushima: Court

Tokyo: A Japanese court ruled Friday that the plant operator not the government was responsible for the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster, ordering the former to pay damages.

The district court in Chiba near Tokyo said the government "was able to foresee" but "may not have been able to avoid the accident" caused by the tsunami that smashed into the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.
[…]
Chiba court judge Masaru Sakamoto turned down the demand of 42 plaintiffs for the government to pay compensation.

However, the court ordered operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) to pay a total of 376 million yen ($3.3 million), much less than the the 2.8 billion yen plaintiffs had sought.

Around 12,000 people who fled over radiation fears have filed various group lawsuits against the government and TEPCO.
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/japan-g ... rt-1753740

Peanuts (for now). https://s26.postimg.org/xwqgy0cuh/Popcorn_cat.gif
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

That's for just 42 plaintiffs. Works out to something like 9 million yen per plaintiff. Maybe after lawyers fees about 6 million each? Or in dollars about $50,000.

Overall I'm sure they've already had some other kinds of compensation from the government. It would be nice for TEPCO to pay them more but realistically, TEPCO is essentially bankrupt already. And they aren't the only victims, just 42 out of thousands. To give them more than all the others wouldn't be fair.

Say we multiply that by 12,000 (for all of them). That would come to 108 billion, say 1 billion dollars. I guess that's not actually so big, is it.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Tepco makes contact with melted fuel in unit 2

Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) has released photos of fuel debris within the primary containment vessel (PCV) of unit 2 at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan. The company determined that the debris can be lifted, which will help in removing the material.
Details: http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Artic ... -in-unit-2
sparks

Post by sparks »

Proof that the 'impossible' melt through was in fact possible.

There's a bit of a problem here however. If a robot can lift part of the corium, what does that say of the rest of the ... tons ... of core material?

We are doomed. But not by Fuckyoushima. That'll take too long. No. My money's on Globalistic Warming.
Witness

Post by Witness »

sparks wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 pmMy money's on Globalistic Warming.
After a "winter" practically without snow we had 17 °C today. :x
sparks

Post by sparks »

Yep. That's how it always begins... :)
sparks

Post by sparks »

Caused by Trump of course. And in its proper form: Globalistical.

Because I said so damnit! :)
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

sparks wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:33 pm Caused by Trump of course. And in its proper form: Globalistical.

Because I said so damnit! :)
What exactly does it mean to be globalisticated? :wink:
sparks

Post by sparks »

I just made it up.

I have no idea what it means. Here's yur purfect opportinity xoup. Claim it as your own now. Or, perhaps, you and WC can split the difference?
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

sparks wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:41 pm I just made it up.

I have no idea what it means. Here's yur purfect opportinity xoup. Claim it as your own now. Or, perhaps, you and WC can split the difference?
Sorry, I was not complaining. I think it is a perfectly cromulent word.

Furthermore, I would not think of taking credit away from where credit is due.

I had assumed you made it up, and I was playing along, lobbing you a softball question so you could have even more fun with it. Perhaps I should have known better than to do that while you are in a pissy mood.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Pissy mood.

Indeed.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The Internet can make you cranky
sparks

Post by sparks »

Can?
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:08 am
sparks wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 pmMy money's on Globalistic Warming.
After a "winter" practically without snow we had 17 °C today. :x
"C"????????????? WTF is that in American :x :x :x :x
sparks

Post by sparks »

Centigrade makes far more sense than does Fahrenfuck ever did.
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:57 pm "C"????????????? WTF is that in American :x :x :x :x
Of course a Dutch–German–Polish scale setting freezing water at 32 and boiling at 212 is infinitely more logical and convenient, no doubt.

That being agreed upon, we hit 291 K some days ago. Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?
sparks

Post by sparks »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:37 pm
sparks wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:14 pm Centigrade makes far more sense than does Fahrenfuck ever did.
Celsius just as culture bound, geocentric, and typically German as Fahrenheit.

Or are we in "The Goddess of Reason is proud of Her ten fingers" territory?
Nicely done, but wrong. :De_Bunk:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:18 am
ed wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:57 pm "C"????????????? WTF is that in American :x :x :x :x
Of course a Dutch–German–Polish scale setting freezing water at 32 and boiling at 212 is infinitely more logical and convenient, no doubt.

That being agreed upon, we hit 291 K some days ago. Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?
Living in Japan, it took me a while to get used to the units they use here without trying to convert them back into the ones I grew up with.

Yen are actually pretty easy. I realize of course that the actual exchange rate varies, but that's not important in daily life, so 1 dollar = 100 yen, 1 yen = 1 penny. Easy.

For temperatures, just remember 20C. 20C is pretty much perfect for being comfortable during normal activities (68F for Americans). 10C or less is cold, 30C is too hot, like a hot summer day. Anything over 24C is hotter than I like it. And less than 15, you'll probably want at least a light jacket.
sparks

Post by sparks »

C is good because 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling for water at standard pressure. This is why we like this scale. It fucking works.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 am1 dollar = 100 yen, 1 yen = 1 penny. Easy.
Older people in Algeria still converted 1 dinar ~ 1 franc (pre-euro) = 100 "anciens francs", did their computation, then converted back.
Practically no storekeeper was able to return the correct change, randomly too much or not enough (in which case a kind of haggling ensued till both parties were satisfied, if you cared).
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:11 am C is good because 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling for water at standard pressure. This is why we like this scale. It fucking works.
Why does that make it better? Half the useful divisions of Freedomheit!
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 am
Witness wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:18 am

Yen are actually pretty easy. I realize of course that the actual exchange rate varies, but that's not important in daily life, so 1 dollar = 100 yen, 1 yen = 1 penny. Easy.
When I was there it hovered between 210 and 230, so I just halved everything.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:10 pm
When the yen was at its strongest a few years ago it was up to about 80/dollar. Now it's back over 100, but it's been on both sides of 100 a few times. When I first got to Japan in 92 I was shocked by how expensive some things were outside the base. 5 bucks for a soft drink at some restaurants, for example. I take it it wasn't like that in your day?

It's actually better now, that was right after the infamous "bubble" when Japanese people were spending money like drunken sailors, so you could get away with prices like that.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 pm
Rob Lister wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:10 pm
When the yen was at its strongest a few years ago it was up to about 80/dollar. Now it's back over 100, but it's been on both sides of 100 a few times. When I first got to Japan in 92 I was shocked by how expensive some things were outside the base. 5 bucks for a soft drink at some restaurants, for example. I take it it wasn't like that in your day?
It was like that when I was there. While the exchange rate was better, most things were still twice as expensive. A counter-meal of chicken fried rice was about 1000yen, or $5. A Suntory, 500y. That was a lot for an E3 in '78.

That same beer could have been had on base for about a buck.

Clubs were out of the question until I got a chubby girlfriend with thick ankles who usually paid my way. Lots of stories about her.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Removal of spent nuclear fuel postponed again
Eight years on, water woes threaten Fukushima cleanup
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh yeah, today is 8 years since the tsunami.
sparks

Post by sparks »

I'll raise my glass to the melt-throughs in a day or two. :) Alvin Weinberg is spinning in his grave.
robinson

Post by robinson »

"We nuclear people have made a Faustian bargain with society. On the one hand we offer—in the catalytic nuclear burner (i.e., the breeder)—an inexhaustible source of energy. Even in the short range, when we use ordinary reactors, we offer energy that is cheaper than energy from fossil fuel. Moreover, this source of energy when properly handled is almost nonpolluting. Whereas fossil-fuel burners emit oxides of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur... there is no intrinsic reason why nuclear systems must emit any pollutant except heat and traces of radioactivity.

But the price that we demand of society for this magical source is both a vigilance from and longevity of our social institutions that we are quite unaccustomed to."
Weinberg (1971)
found in Oak Ridge National Laboratory: the First Fifty Years.