optical illusion

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: optical illusion

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I perceive only 3 colors.

Does that mean I'm color blind? :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Most people see the left arm of the Y looking more green and the right arm looking more blue.

How about this one? This also only has three colours, not counting the single black pixel right at the centre.

The 'Y' version again, seeing as how we're on a new page

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:51 am

ceptimus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm
Are you still green, or turning blue? Happy birthday (if I'm not mistaken)!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm

It's no surprise... Band colors together and it will seem like a sort of blend. In this case two different blends.

RGB screens had only three colors too.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 pm

gnome wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Not sure what you mean by RBG screens. If you're referring to the usual sorts of displays used on TVs and computer monitors, then yes, there are usually only three types of phosphor - but usually the intensity of each red, green, or blue phosphor dot can be specified with 5, 6, 8, or more bits of resolution - so these displays can show tens of thousands, up to millions of different colors.

This is different to the optical illusions that really do use only three colors over large areas (many pixels) - and with no variation of intensity of those colors. You could reproduce the same images on paper using three different paints, and they would be just as effective.

The reason these particular illusions work is that the color resolution of our eyes is much worse than the intensity resolution. Our brains form a mental image that attempts to reconstruct high resolution color using just brightness data, with some rough inaccurate color data present: it shouldn't really surprise us that sometimes they're fooled.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 pm
gnome wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm
Not sure what you mean by RBG screens. If you're referring to the usual sorts of displays used on TVs and computer monitors, then yes, there are usually only three types of phosphor - but usually the intensity of each red, green, or blue phosphor dot can be specified with 5, 6, 8, or more bits of resolution - so these displays can show tens of thousands, up to millions of different colors.

This is different to the optical illusions that really do use only three colors over large areas (many pixels)
Actually it's not that different. When you see a "white" screen on your computer, it actually looks like this.

or this

In fact everything on the screen we see is actually just three colors. Yes, the intensity of the colors changes to allow the illusion of many many colors, but you are always seeing three colors for each pixel, which is a grand illusion.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 pm

What I see is not color mixing, Impressionist (or computer screen) style, but color contrast. Analogous to the same grey appearing lighter or darker when next to black or white.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:33 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 am

Duck or Wabbit?

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

robinson

Post by robinson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:44 am

You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 pm

1) OK robinson, what am I supposed to see? :?

2) ceptimus -- Is seeing them all right side up the first time a symptom of borderline personality syndrome or something? Asking for a friend. :)

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 pm

*clicks here to turn in a sicko*
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Stare at the cross mark and see monsters, and all the plates are right side up. Robinson and Ceptimacal is just having some fun.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Concentrate on the top right one and imagine the light source is to your left. You might be able to flip the plates upsidedown: I found I could, after a while.

robinson

Post by robinson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:35 am

robinson

Post by robinson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 pm
1) OK robinson, what am I supposed to see? :?
Bruce wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:50 am
The more you watch, the more freaky and distorted the faces appear.

Except for Tom Cruise.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 am

Yesterday I was driving and a jet had just taken off from Hopkins airport. I was driving east at 35 mph and the jet was flying west. The horizontal speed of the jet seemed to be zero relative to my own, so I was able to perceive the vertical motion of the jet. Looked like it was just levitating upward. Really neat effect.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:37 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 am
Yesterday I was driving and a jet had just taken off from Hopkins airport. I was driving east at 35 mph and the jet was flying west. The horizontal speed of the jet seemed to be zero relative to my own, so I was able to perceive the vertical motion of the jet. Looked like it was just levitating upward. Really neat effect.
Too bad you had to go and identify it. 8)