David Ortiz

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

David Ortiz

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am

I've been seeing stories about this over the past couple days. Weirdly, I'm also seeing lots of stories about tourists dying in the DR.
Man held in shooting of Red Sox star David Ortiz charged as accomplice in attempted murder

I'm not sure if the guy they have in custody is the right guy.
The Public Ministry of Santo Domingo East said in a statement it is seeking to keep Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, who authorities have said was arrested at the scene of the Sunday night shooting at Dial Bar and Lounge in the eastern part of the city, in detention. Police have said he was beaten by several bar patrons after the shooting.

Some earlier reports had identified Garcia as the suspected shooter, but Tuesday’s statement does not say Garcia is accused of firing the single shot from behind that wounded Ortiz, 43, known as "Big Papi," and which injured a television host who was with the former Red Sox player.

There was a second arrest in the case, a spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office reportedly told journalists via WhatsApp, but there was no indication that the person arrested was the suspected shooter, according to the Associated Press.

Police have said that two men showed up on a motorcycle and one of those people shot Ortiz. Garcia was captured by bar patrons and beaten before being handed over to police, while the other escaped on foot.

Garcia’s family told NBC Boston that he is a fan of Ortiz and had nothing to do with the shooting.

His lawyer, Deivi Solano, said Garcia had no idea who he picked up or what was about to happen when he stopped to take a fare, the AP reported.

"He didn't know what they were going to do. He's a fan of David's," Solano said.

A motive in the shooting is unclear. Ortiz, who is from the Dominican Republic, was flown back to Boston Monday and is being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Although this article doesn't mention it, I think another one speculated that it might be a hit from a drug lord or something like that. Crazy stuff.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Re: David Ortiz

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Shitty and unfortunate situation. I hope Ortiz has a full and speedy recovery.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Details keep changing so I have not commented.

In a way, given the video, he is very lucky.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:10 am

Now the picture seems to be getting clearer:

Chilling new details emerge in the attempted murder of David Ortiz
Six men are now in custody in the Dominican Republic tied to the attempted murder of baseball star David Ortiz, authorities announced Wednesday, saying it was a coordinated attack for which the men were allegedly paid the equivalent of $8,000.

Jean Alain Rodríguez Sánchez, the Dominican Republic’s chief prosecutor, spoke at a press briefing, indicating that authorities believe they have the alleged shooter in custody but are still pursuing one more suspect. They still haven’t announced a motive for the attack on Ortiz or who paid for it.

Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, the director of the Dominican National Police, presented the black handgun allegedly used to shoot Ortiz on Sunday night outside of a popular nightspot in Ortiz’s hometown of Santo Domingo. It was the first time authorities confirmed publicly that the shooters were paid to target Ortiz.

Authorities say the attack on Ortiz was planned the night before. According to court documents obtained by The Boston Globe, the men believed to be part of the plot met again Sunday night with two cars and a motorcycle parked nearby.

Two men — including alleged shooter Ramón Martínez Perez, who goes by the name Rolfie and was named for the first time Wednesday — left on the motorcycle to attack Ortiz. The driver was 25-year-old Eddy Vladimir Feliz García, who lost control of the motorcycle, crashed and was detained and beaten by nearby citizens. Initial reports from the scene believed that García was the shooter.

The shooter escaped on foot, returned to the two vehicles and fled the scene. Witnesses were able to identify the cars and police tracked down Perez.

Among those in custody, according to The Globe, is Oliver Moisés Mirabal Acosta. Acosta, according to Dominican newspapers, was previously sentenced to prison time on an illegal gun charge and was accused of being part of four execution-style killings in 2013 that were tied to a local drug gang.

Ortiz, meanwhile, is in a Boston hospital, where his condition is improving, according to his family.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 am

So Goodell will only suspend Brady for four games?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:18 am

File under the Understatement of the Year Department:
The attack on David Ortiz was a case of mistaken identity and the bullet was intended for a friend seated at the same table, the Dominican Republic’s attorney general said Wednesday night.

Dominican Attorney General Jean Rodriguez said the attack was aimed at David Fernandez, a friend of the former Red Sox star who was seated at the same table and dressed similarly on the night of the June 9 shooting.

Rodriguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico’s Gulf Cartel, Victor Hugo Gomez, who remains on the run and is believed to be in the United States. Rodriguez did not state a motive. The claim that Ortiz was not the intended target was met with skepticism, however, by some familiar with Dominican law enforcement and the Ortiz case.

Boston Sun

Uncanny resemblance. I am surprised Dame Hellen Mirren is safe.
--J.D.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 am

Is Ortiz the one in the middle?
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:33 am

Yeah, that explanation doesn't really seem to add up.
Rodriguez did not state a motive.
If David Fernandez was the intended target, why?

Even if we discount his claim that he has no enemies, it still doesn't add up until you can explain why he was targeted.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am

To make a very long story of accusations from a former Red Sox/MLB security dude short, Ortiz and many other Dominicans have friends they grow up with who do not "make it." As with the NFL, it seems hard to get these guys to shed themselves of such. Ortiz had such a friend during his playing days that this guy had basically barred from the parks, because he used false identities and the like.

I do not want to waste too much bandwidth on it because as true as it may be, others like Theo Epstein and the MLB bitch about it and all of that.

In a way, it reminds me of a Frank Sinatra hanging about with mobsters. He may not be a mobster. May not even agree with being a mobster. But is it not "cool" to be around them? Add in $$$$$$ and the status of Ortiz in the Dominican Republic . . . and . . . there are rumors that . . . well . . . Ortiz might have a bit of an ego . . . and you can have a problem.

Despite all of that, most who know Ortiz say that unlike fucktards like Ray Rice, Aaron Hernandez, et cetera, he seems to be a legitimately nice guy rather than one who is just nice when the cameras role.

In the rain.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 am

shemp wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 am
Do not disrespect Dame Hellen Mirren!

--J.D.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 am
shemp wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 am
Do not disrespect Dame Hellen Mirren!

--J.D.
Bollocks! She's yer mum and I've 'ad 'er!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:51 pm

She said you can remove your butt-plug any time now.

We will stand back.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:15 am

William Shakespeare