Chinese monkey men. THIS IS SCIENCE DAMMIT!

We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Chinese monkey men. THIS IS SCIENCE DAMMIT!

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm

World’s first ever human-monkey hybrid grown in lab in China
Daily Star (UK)

Not sure if that's the UK paper with tits on page 3. :)
Scientists have successfully formed a hybrid human-monkey embryo – with the experiment taking place in China to avoid “legal issues”.

Researchers led by scientist Juan Carlos Izpisúa spliced together the genes to grow a monkey with human cells.

It is said the creature could have grown and been born, but scientists aborted the process.

The team, made up of members of the Salk Institute in the United States and the Murcia Catholic University, genetically modified the monkey embryos.

Researchers deactivates the genes which form organs, and replaced them with human stem cells.

And it is hoped that one day these hybrid-grown organs will be able to be translated into humans.
Emphasis added. :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Chinese monkey men. THIS IS SCIENCE DAMMIT!

Post by sparks » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:42 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to just clone human organs and leave Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter out of it?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:46 pm
World’s first ever human-monkey hybrid grown in lab in China
Daily Star (UK)

Not sure if that's the UK paper with tits on page 3. :)
Scientists have successfully formed a hybrid human-monkey embryo – with the experiment taking place in China to avoid “legal issues”.

Researchers led by scientist Juan Carlos Izpisúa spliced together the genes to grow a monkey with human cells.

It is said the creature could have grown and been born, but scientists aborted the process.

The team, made up of members of the Salk Institute in the United States and the Murcia Catholic University, genetically modified the monkey embryos.

Researchers deactivates the genes which form organs, and replaced them with human stem cells.

And it is hoped that one day these hybrid-grown organs will be able to be translated into humans.
Emphasis added. :o
I question your source choice, Abdul. :roll: Finding the source's source, the El País article, wasn't difficult: https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/07/31/in ... 56842.html (much clearer).

Evidently the Daily Star's rewriter didn't even understand what he himself wrote. "[…] deactivates the genes which form organs, and replaced them with human stem cells" – replacing genes with cells, what a breakthrough!
Similarly, "a hybrid human-monkey embryo" has nothing to do with hybridization, it's just a chimera where some human cells somehow managed to survive.

I checked also the Murcia Catholic University, what with this experiment smelling of brimstone. Nothing to do with the venerable University of Murcia (one of the oldest in the world), just a private cash cow nearby which only provides bachelor's degrees in the health sciences. Not much research going on there.

Lastly the main author, Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte, is from the Salk Institute. It would probably be mildly interesting to determine why he (or the paper) dragged Murcia into all that.
Anyway, he seems pretty obsessed with putting human cells in animal embryos, having already tried with pigs and rodents. (As per El País article, his Salk page is of course quite different.)

So "Science, Mathematics and Technology", really? (Of course I understand the irony of "THIS IS SCIENCE DAMMIT!") :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Meanie. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:58 pm
Meanie. :BigGrin3:
Well, you know I'm a purist. It could go in the already existing "bogus science" thread, or the "fake news" thread, the "journalists are awful" thread, &c. It would even nicely fit in ed's latest threads. :P

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:18 am

Probably aborted because it was a girl.
Such potential!