Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Japan

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:00 pm
That ramen looks pretty good.

(If the only ramen you've ever had is instant ramen, trust me, it isn't the same.)
Is that why they have it attached to a chain?

Tommy D
Title: Real Funny Guy

Post by Tommy D » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:41 pm

solely wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Too much salt.
Too many onions.
What's really funny is . . . the fucking bank job away in Secaucus . . . I'm in the middle of the fucking weeds!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:

(If the only ramen you've ever had is instant ramen, trust me, it isn't the same.)
They really shouldn't even share a name.

There are a number of bad to amazing Ramen restaurants in and around Los Angeles. My favorite is Hakata style Ramen from Shin-Sen-Gumi.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:59 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:41 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:

Is that why they have it attached to a chain?
The cooks are chained until they pay off their debt.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 am

何ですか?

–J. "絶頂するを手伝って!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:14 pm

OK I clicked Doc's link and the site is in English though about Japan.
To further protect interested customers from the prying eyes of the public, Tenga have installed the new machines in a private space behind a noren curtain that makes it look more like a public bathhouse than a sex-toy purchasing area.
So it may look like cans or jars of something, but apparently under the lid ... :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 am

57 dead and 18,000 taken to hospitals in one week amid Japan heat wave

Fifty-seven people died due to heat-related medical issues in Japan over the week starting July 29, the government said Tuesday, with the number of those taken to hospitals more than tripling to 18,347 from the previous week’s 5,664.

The weekly figure for hospitalizations due to high temperatures was the second highest since tallies began in 2008, according to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency.

Of the 18,347 people, 729 had severe symptoms that will require more than three weeks of treatment as an inpatient, while 6,548 had less serious issues, requiring shorter stays. Those age 65 and older accounted for 54.3 percent of the total.

Tokyo had the most people taken to hospitals at 1,857, followed by 1,342 in Aichi Prefecture and 1,307 in Saitama Prefecture. Deaths were reported across 24 prefectures, with Hokkaido seeing the most at seven, followed by five each in Ibaraki and Saitama.

A high pressure system over the Japanese archipelago preserved extreme heat, said the agency. It is advising people to constantly stay hydrated and rest in cooler areas.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... UtmF3BUOUl

We also had an official warning (somebody put it up in the elevator) which boiled (!) down to: avoid the heat; drink water. Thanks Captain Obvious!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Witness wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 am
57 dead and 18,000 taken to hospitals in one week amid Japan heat wave
And just a reminder: the Summer Olympics will be happening here right around this same time next year. (July 24th through August 9th according to the internet)

I would not recommend planning a trip to Japan in late July or August, but what do I know. I just live here.

It's not going to be outdoor weather, I think I can predict that much. But the events include marathons and such. :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:42 am

↑ Survival of the fittest. :twisted:

But that will be the least of your worries:
Japan successfully tests flying car which hovers steadily for a minute

The Japanese government aims to have people driving flying cars by the 2030s.

A flying car has been tested in Japan and was able to hover steadily for about a minute using its four propellers.

Electronics firm NEC unveiled the technology at a facility in the city of Abiko, situated around 22 miles from Tokyo.

Two brief demonstrations took place inside a giant cage and those watching were told to wear helmets as a precaution.

The Japanese government aims to have people using flying cars by the 2030s and has backed the construction of a huge test course in an area devastated by the 2011 tsunami and nuclear disasters in Fukushima.

There are also hopes to use flying cars to connect islands in the Mie resort area, which is frequented by Hollywood celebrities.

Japan wants to become a world leader in the sector but could find itself competing with Dubai, which is also aggressively pursuing the technology.
https://news.sky.com/story/japan-succes ... sf-twitter

Radioactive flying cars, Anax. I'm sure they will sprout tentacles in due time. :mrgreen:

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:44 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:28 pm

I would not recommend planning a trip to Japan in late July or August, but what do I know. I just live here.

It's not going to be outdoor weather, I think I can predict that much. But the events include marathons and such. :notsure:

Ha. Ha. How dare you criticize one of Japanese lovely four seasons? Japan has four seasons, you know. Summer is just one of four seasons. Four. That is why Japan is unique and lovely. By the way, does it rain in America?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
But the events include marathons and such. :notsure:
So bet on Florida Men?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:08 am

Grammatron wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
So bet on Florida Men?
But not Florida Women?

*triggered*

–J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:24 am

Grammatron wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
So bet on Florida Men?
Well, I'm sure the runners will train accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised to see some tourists and audience members suffering from heat-related medical issues.

They held a lottery a couple months ago for selling tickets to the events (because a lot more people wanted to buy tickets than were available for many of the popular events). My wife and I entered for a few of the events that seemed like they might be enjoyable, but we didn't win. In hindsight, I'm actually kinda glad we didn't win. The tickets are expensive and it's going to be easier to just stay at home and watch on TV.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm

–J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Want a robotic tail? Well, Japanese scientists built one for you anyway

Some wearables are subtle, relatively understated devices like smartwatches, which nonetheless have the ability to make a major impact on their wearers’ lives. Others are a little more ostentatious — like this animated wearable tail that promises to improve users’ balance and agility by, err, giving them an appendage straight out of the Alien movies. Because who doesn’t want to incorporate a spot of cosplay into their daily lives?

Called Arque, this “artificial biomimicry-inspired tail for extending innate body function” was developed by researchers at Keio University in Japan. Its creation was inspired by the way that monkeys are able to leap from tree to tree, while using their tails for balance by shifting their center of gravity.

The tail is created using multiple interlocking plastic vertebrae. This modular design means that additional segments could be added, or removed, to better fit the size of the wearer. The tail itself is powered using compressed air, which causes four artificial muscles to contract or expand in order to make the tail move. Right now, it requires an external air compressor, but this could potentially be removed in the future as other power systems are developed.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech ... able-tail/

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm

↑ Nice. :mrgreen:
Japanese women's breast size boasts 40 years of continued growth

Well, there's no denying it any more: the size of Japanese mammaries have become larger. We know this thanks to a survey by lingerie manufacture Triumph International Japan, which recently made public the results of its research.

According to Nikkan Gendai (Aug 7), the subjects of the survey were Japanese females between the ages of 20 through 60 years. And when the data was confirmed, Triumph found that while only 4.5% of its customers had required a D-cup size bra or larger back in 1980, that percentage had expanded to 17.6% by 1990. By 2018, the percentage had swelled impressively to 53.1%. Or in other words, a remarkable twelve-fold increase over 40 years.

Interestingly, the 17.5 centimeter average measurement from the underside of the breast to the top had not shown any appreciable change during those four decades. Which means the size of the breasts themselves had definitely become larger.

Naturally Nikkan Gendai's reporter wants to know why.

"There are two reasons for this," explained Shuko Sakata, manager of brand marketing at Triumph. "The first is changes in the diet, such as increased meat consumption and westernization in general. The other is because we manufacturers have become better at teaching customers the correct way to select a brassiere. When putting on their bras, women tend to lean forward and by so doing gravity collects fleshy parts on the sides of their torso to fill up the cup. That alone can increase cup size by as much as two sizes."
http://www.newsonjapan.com/html/newsdes ... 125362.php

I'll hazard the guess that it's not only in Japan. :mrgreen:

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Thanks Hugh
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:58 am

William Shakespeare