People that actually work for a living.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

People that actually work for a living.

Post by Rob Lister »

I'm a fan of this guy. He and his father run a large--~500 cow--dairy farm. His work-ethic is extraordinary. I doubt he ever gets laid. I hope makes a lot of money but I doubt it. Here's one video of many.

I like milk. This guy busts his ass from before the sun rises to well after it sets, every day, rain, snow or shine. The cows won't wait. Sunday is a day you pause for 15 minutes to pray, and even that pisses off the cows.

They have a ~100-acre farm in which they grow most of the feed for the cows.

I would quit the first day.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: People that actually work for a living.

Post by ed »

Yes, but is he a racist? Is he woke? That is what is important. You have snowflakes waking up before noon and laboring for the benefit of everyone till close to dusk. And does his wife get the same pay as him? Do his cows free range?
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Another channel to which I am addicted.

ed

Post by ed »

Tree murderers.

And "cows"????????? Exploiting females??????

Jusus you sicken me.
solely

Post by solely »

Does OSHA have different rules for dairy farms? If not they can be a nightmare.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

solely wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 pm Does OSHA have different rules for dairy farms? If not they can be a nightmare.
Under OSHA's current appropriations law, OSHA is not allowed to spend any of the funds appropriated to enforce any standard, rule, regulation, or order under the OSH Act which is applicable to any person who is engaged in a farming operation which employs 10 or fewer employees and does not maintain a temporary labor camp.
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standard ... 2007-07-16
solely

Post by solely »

I wouldn't survive a walking tour of the dairy farm, and if I were the tree guy I would be a bowl of jelly.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Working hard is a moral value (for the poor, of course).
shuize

Post by shuize »

The distain that many on the left have for skilled blue-collar workers has always been a mystery to me.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

If you replace "left" with "communist" it all makes perfect sense
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

For a guy that sexually assaults and maybe even rapes his cows on a daily basis, this guy is pretty cool.

It's interesting what he does at 4:15

He obviously cares very, very much for the comfort of his bitches.
ed

Post by ed »

shuize wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 am The distain that many on the left have for skilled blue-collar workers has always been a mystery to me.
Interesting comment.
I worked for years with very educated folks in white collar pursuits. For the last 8 years or so I have "made things" working with folks in the trades. Less educated, more conservative.

The biggest difference, and one that probably irks lefties, is that the guys in the trades really can conduct themselves with no interaction with the feds, largely. Yeah, the building trades have local zoning but the feds are pretty much out of the picture.

Gotta think in that. It is sorta like the Morlocks.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

He decided to take a day off from work and still worked more hours than I do in a week.

gnome

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 am If you replace "left" with "communist" it all makes perfect sense
Here's the thing: despite propaganda and the occasionally true stereotype, if you count everyone in the US that at least leans left, I think "communists" would be a very small portion. So are you referring to the stereotypical extreme lefty or the more numerous kind?
robinson

Post by robinson »

The lefty that has disdain for people who work and create all the shit needed to live, they are commies. And dumber than hell.
gnome

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm The lefty that has disdain for people who work and create all the shit needed to live, they are commies. And dumber than hell.
Congratulations, you have achieved circularity.

"The left does this bad thing."
Who are you thinking of as the left?
"People that do this bad thing!"

Not terribly consequential. That would be true even if only three people in the country did that bad thing.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm In the USA the "left" these days is a faction of the billionaire ruling class.

Or rather the dupes and lackeys of said faction.
They don't get to have their actual opinions consulted. They are assumed to be lackeys regardless.
gnome

Post by gnome »

That would require checking their actual opinion.
gnome

Post by gnome »

To drop out of sarcasm and make an actual point: more people consider themselves left or left-leaning than fit this stereotype. Significantly more, and it is invalid to insist they must hold the same opinion.

That's a solid no true scotsman error there.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 pm Any other once upon a time proletarians here?
I did, while a student, loading and unloading postal trains. Dangerous and dirty, crazy schedules (e. g. starting at 3 a. m.) which changed every week, physically strenuous (normally the postal bags were capped at 30 kg, but those from Russia were 50) and you had to hurry.
But it paid extremely well for unskilled labor – if you didn't mind working at night/on weekends/during holidays.

Sad memory: the bunch of old retired dudes in a dusty room who had to supplement their meager pension by all day long folding and binding the emptied bags. My, were they grumpy!
shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 pm Quick show of hands please.

Who here has ever actually worked for a living (Rob's definition), for even a short period of time?
I'd say non-strenuous indoor drudgery such as retail clerk does not count (I have also been one of those).
Strenuous indoor drudgery such as warehouse work does count.

I have, though not lately.
In my case that includes pick and shovel work, technician in a factory, a technician job that was mostly driving to different sites, and some other odds and ends.

Any other once upon a time proletarians here?

Yes, I've worked hard jobs. But not skilled blue-collar work and never for very long.

Actually, my first job as a kid was warehouse work. It was "indoors" in the sense that it had four walls and a roof. It involved moving books and pamphlets around in a non-air conditioned warehouse in Southern California in the summer for minimum wage. Ha. Ha.

As mentioned before, I also did mostly unskilled plumbing work, digging, hauling sewer machines up on top of roofs, etc. Actually, those fucking sewer machines almost pulled me off roofs more than once. I felt like the guy in Saving Private Ryan who says about his BAR, "Bottom of the channel sir. That bitch tried to drown me."

I did low level English teaching work. While mentally draining, it is not particularly hard and, despite what a lot of English conversation teachers in Japan seem to think, not "skilled."

I worked as a "runner" for a short time in law school delivering documents to various courthouses. Although a shitty bait-and-switch by the law firm, it wasn't a bad job.* But it sucked up time I didn't have which made it feel more stressful than it actually was. Also not "skilled."

* Knowing law students are desperate for "legal experience" they advertised for a "law clerk" to assist writing briefs, etc. When I finally said I wasn't getting enough "experience" to justify the amount of grunt work I was doing -- I assisted on exactly zero writing projects -- the partner got pissed off. Ha. Ha. Fuck him.
robinson

Post by robinson »

shuize wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 am The distain that many on the left have for skilled blue-collar workers has always been a mystery to me.
The only people who actually have disdain, (the feeling that someone is unworthy of one's consideration or respect; contempt), the only possible way somebody could have actual disdain for somebody who gets actual shit done, would be somebody who has never actually done shit.

Seriously, the only humans who could look down on people who actually do things, important things, that keep society running, would be the people who have never done anything to keep society running.
robinson

Post by robinson »

I've done white, blue and pink collar work. When I was white collar I thought it was better than blue collar, but it turned out blue collar was better in the long run. Blue collar means you don't have to go to the gym after work, something I just couldn't make myself do.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Who here has ever actually worked for a living (Rob's definition), for even a short period of time?
I'd say non-strenuous indoor drudgery such as retail clerk does not count (I have also been one of those).

In my case that includes pick and shovel work, technician in a factory, a technician job that was mostly driving to different sites, and some other odds and ends.

High rise window cleaning, landscaping (such an innocuous word).
One story.
Second day on window cleaning (NOT washing goddammit) job .
Whilst lowering one of two 250 ft steel wire ropes from the roof the thing slipped out of my hands the coil stood up as it fell and I reached to stop it. A loop grabbed my arm and slammed me into the parapet thereby stopping the fall. Had that parapet not been unusually tall (12ish feet) you would not be reading this.
Also we didn't have to go down recoil the wire rope and pull the pedestrian bodies out from under the pile.

OK one more.
From the ground the sky was completely overcast but 30 stories up from the roof the sun was shining and the blanket of cloud was pierced by nearby buildings. Looking over the parapet with the sun at my back was my shadow surrounded by a vivid rainbow halo. I called the other guys to come see this wonder and was informed it was bad luck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre
Last edited by Fid on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Thank you I was young and stupid. I have a story about "Billy and the William Oliver Building" for another time.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Fid wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre
I see you know the obligate references. :figamagee:

Here's another one:

https://i.imgur.com/bZ7EhIu.jpg
shuize

Post by shuize »

robinson wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 am Seriously, the only humans who could look down on people who actually do things, important things, that keep society running, would be the people who have never done anything to keep society running.

Yes, and in my opinion, the people who do the most to keep society running are the skilled blue-collar workers.
gnome

Post by gnome »

I actually agree even though I've never by any meaningful definition been one.
Giz

Post by Giz »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 pm
gnome wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 pm To drop out of sarcasm and make an actual point: more people consider themselves left or left-leaning than fit this stereotype.
The ones that fit the stereotype are the ones who are effective workers for the ruling class faction I mentioned.

The others? You mean people like me?

After all I'm still left leaning in the eyes of No-God because I say mean things about billionaires.

What could be more left leaning than that? :cowbell:
Saying mean things about billionaires just makes you a deplorable populist
ed

Post by ed »

I did packing and shipping as a kid. Also worked on an assembly line. I am as one with my laboring brothers.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Sickest welding cart ever.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

First job ever was “bucking bales” on a hay truck. And spent summers working in a concrete outing job with my step dad.

As an adult, I worked several factory jobs; punch press operator, assembler. Also QC In a foundry. Hated it, was glad to get an office job
Fid

Post by Fid »

Rob Lister wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 pm Sickest welding cart ever...
That is some sho nuff welding. I assume it's his shop but bro shorts and sandals?
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

He de-subscribed the last person that made that comment. Yea, it's his business. He does small, medium and large projects. He's got skilz.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

more from the 10th generation dairy farmer: good to be back from vacation

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I subscribed in the first minute of this video.

Edit: wrong link, here's the right one.

Last edited by Rob Lister on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robinson

Post by robinson »

ed wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:12 pm Yes, but is he a racist? Is he woke? That is what is important. You have snowflakes waking up before noon and laboring for the benefit of everyone till close to dusk. And does his wife get the same pay as him? Do his cows free range?
Wow

Your like a prophet
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:12 pm Yes, but is he a racist?
He's from the very rural midwest. He's never actually seen a black person. Nor a mexican for that matter.
Is he woke?
Every morning at 4:00 am
That is what is important.

Yep. The cows won't wait
You have snowflakes waking up before noon and laboring for the benefit of everyone till close to dusk.
He eats lunch at dusk and then does another four hours.
And does his wife get the same pay as him?
She's a handsome women and used to hauling
Do his cows free range?
Funny you should ask that. He tries to get them out to graze at least three times a week but usually, they simply will.not.go. It's cozy in the barn. Milking cows are notoriously lazy creatures. They will stand just long enough to eat and be milked. They will sometimes mosey over to the back-scratching machine, of which there are a dozen or so. They each have their own padded rubber birth (think of a three inch thick gym mat) on top of which goes another 6 inches of fresh sawdust daily. They spend 20 out of 24 hours sleeping sleeping right there. Free-range would be too hard on the cows. It is a fucking life of luxury and their titties get sucked three times daily.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

There's something very cathartic about big machines and dam busting. I recommend watching full-screen at 2x speed.

Don't feel bad for the beavers. They'll rebuild next year. They never get a permit, never consult county engineers, and don't give the slightest fuck-all about flooding fifty acres of farmland to build their watery abodes. They're anarchists, each and every one.

If I remember my James Michener novels correctly, they typically work in monogamous husband-wife teams (who cheat on each other if they can but never divorce). I understand beaver tail is delicious and they make good hats. $8-$10 bounty in some states.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 pm
ed wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:12 pm Yes, but is he a racist?
He's from the very rural midwest. He's never actually seen a black person. Nor a mexican for that matter.
Is he woke?
Every morning at 4:00 am
That is what is important.

Yep. The cows won't wait
You have snowflakes waking up before noon and laboring for the benefit of everyone till close to dusk.
He eats lunch at dusk and then does another four hours.
And does his wife get the same pay as him?
She's a handsome women and used to hauling
Do his cows free range?
Funny you should ask that. He tries to get them out to graze at least three times a week but usually, they simply will.not.go. It's cozy in the barn. Milking cows are notoriously lazy creatures. They will stand just long enough to eat and be milked. They will sometimes mosey over to the back-scratching machine, of which there are a dozen or so. They each have their own padded rubber birth (think of a three inch thick gym mat) on top of which goes another 6 inches of fresh sawdust daily. They spend 20 out of 24 hours sleeping sleeping right there. Free-range would be too hard on the cows. It is a fucking life of luxury and their titties get sucked three times daily.
I had no idea that was a thing. We had a next-next-door neighbor who was a dairy farmer when I grew up and I did visit his farm a few times and saw what was going on in the barn there. It was pretty modern for the times. But no scratching machines. They did have a UV light with an electric cage around it to kill flies.

They had a pasture too of course. The cows would go out to pasture of their own accord.