The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: The UK thread

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:05 pm
asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:52 pm
Abdul, while C of E attendance has shrunk dramatically over recent years, it still has around a million regular churchgoers and many more who don't attend church but identify as Christian when asked. Also, the worldwide Anglican communion has around 85 million members so, while the church may be slowly dying, it is not yet dead nor does it exist for purely ceremonial purposes. 26 bishops have guaranteed seats in the House of Lords, for example and the church provides chaplains in hospitals and prisons as well as operating its own, (usually very good), schools and engaging in numerous charitable endeavours and community projects.

As you know, I'm no churchgoer but fair's fair.
If you were to blaspheme against the C of E on Twitter would the cops come looking for you?

What about Islam?
I honestly don't know. There are laws dealing with incitement to religious hatred etc. but I'm no expert.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm
But which religion gets to call the cops when you blaspheme?

That is the real test of an official religion.
Blasphemy is not an offence in England and Wales, the laws were abolished in 2008. They remain in Scotland and Northern Ireland but are very rarely used. Linky
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 pm

But call Muhammad a buttfucker on Twitter and see what happens.

Even if the formal charge isn't "blasphemy" that's what it is.

De facto official religion.

It won't be official official until Charles take the throne.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:52 pm

What does happen? I've never used Twitter and know nothing about it apart from that it seems to take up most of your president's time.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:57 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 pm
But which religion gets to call the cops when you blaspheme?

That is the real test of an official religion.
Blasphemy is not an offence in England and Wales, the laws were abolished in 2008. They remain in Scotland and Northern Ireland but are very rarely used. Linky
There are cases like:

“Two men have been released on bail after their arrest for allegedly making offensive comments on Twitter about the murder of a British soldier in Woolwich.

Detective Inspector Ed Yaxley of Avon and Somerset police said: "On Wednesday evening, we were contacted by people concerned about comments made on social media accounts.

"We began inquiries into the comments and at around 3.20am two men, aged 23 and 22, were detained at two addresses in Bristol.“

And I couldn’t see anywhere what they had said... so how do we know if the authorities are being reasonable?

Not to mention when there is a case like:

“A man from Leeds in West Yorkshire has been released on bail after allegedly posting on social media a video that ends with him burning a copy of the Qu'ran.

The law about burning a holy text such as the Qu'ran isn't clear cut in the UK. In the US it is entirely legal. Accorss the pond, it's a punishable offence under Britain's Racial and Religious Hatred act 2006. There remains an issue of freedom of speech and ownership of material, but ultimately people could be prosecuted when there is a demonstrable advocacy of hate crime laws.

In 2011, Business Insider wrote about British National Party candidate Sion Owens, who filmed himself burning a copy of the Qu'ran. The clip was leaked to the Guardian and the man was subsequently arrested.

Then, the Home Office stated:

"The government absolutely condemns the burning of the Qur'an. It is fundamentally offensive to the values of our pluralist and tolerant society. “

There are de facto blasphemy laws in the UK and it is a disgrace

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 pm

It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over, Giz.

I dislike religion but don't go out of my way to offend or insult those who believe. Burning copies of the Quran is nothing more than provocation, and I'm sure we all know who the most enthusiastic book burners have been throughout history. Not the good guys.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 pm
It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over, Giz.

I dislike religion but don't go out of my way to offend or insult those who believe. Burning copies of the Quran is nothing more than provocation, and I'm sure we all know who the most enthusiastic book burners have been throughout history. Not the good guys.
The fact remains that exhibiting “piss Christ” or putting on “the Book of Mormon” is fine. But do something similar with Islam , and the police will pay you a visit.
Last edited by Giz on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 pm

One thing many Americans don't understand about our own prohibition of religious establishment (and this applies to both right wing and left wing alike modulo details), is that it applies to nice religion too.

A good argument to help right wingers see the light is to point out that if the Framers had allowed religious establishment, the C of USA today would be very much like the C of E and probably connected organizationally.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:45 pm

↑ I'll say it again: cockroaches will always crawl back. It's up to the rest of the citizens to pull their fangs.

'Jacob Leeks Mogg' comes second in Newent Onion Show

A vegetable recreation of the leader of the House of Commons reclining during a debate has come second in a competition at an onion show.

Hester Feld entered "Jacob Leeks Mogg" into the Newent Onion Show's "Vegetable Character Over 17 Years" competition.

The North East Somerset MP was lampooned in memes earlier this month after slouching during a three-hour late-night debate on Brexit.

All edible members of the allium family star in the Gloucestershire show.

The event - now in its 24th year - says it aims to "advance the education of the public in the cultivation and improvement" of the likes of blanch leeks, pot leeks, garlic, spring onions and chives.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-glo ... e-49702929

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:46 pm

I understand what you're saying, Giz, really. I'm all for freedom of speech, religion, political views, etc. and thoroughly dislike censorship. Sadly, however, we do not live in an ideal world and it pays to be pragmatic. I watched Richard Dawkins debating with muslims on UK TV not so long ago and, while he was polite, he did pour scorn on beliefs like Mohammed flying to the moon on a winged horse. He wasn't prosecuted for this and I think we've largely got the balance right. YMMV

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:57 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:46 pm
I understand what you're saying, Giz, really. I'm all for freedom of speech, religion, political views, etc. and thoroughly dislike censorship. Sadly, however, we do not live in an ideal world and it pays to be pragmatic. I watched Richard Dawkins debating with muslims on UK TV not so long ago and, while he was polite, he did pour scorn on beliefs like Mohammed flying to the moon on a winged horse. He wasn't prosecuted for this and I think we've largely got the balance right. YMMV
I think that if an average joe in the street said what Dawkins does, he would be at risk of arrest. Dawkins is a bit too prominent (and apart from Islam, is doctrinaire lefty) so he has privileges that the average citizen doesn’t get.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:30 am

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:48 am

I dunno, sceps are openly critical of religion and still going strong, as are many other UK organisations with similar views. It tends to be a case of "It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it." Rabble rousers like "Tommy Robinson" know exactly what they are doing by pushings the limits of the law, aided and abetted by scurrilous rags like T3h Daily Fail who give them loads of publicity. Like it or not, our immigrant populations are here to stay, with many, like my wife, born in Britain. It is in nobody's interest to foster division and hatred. It's not as though we don't have our home-grown versions of religious hatred, is it? Just look at Northern Ireland and Scotland; there's plenty of Christian love going around there...

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:55 am

Who Dares, Wins.

SAS hero with shotgun 'kills five ISIS fighters including two wearing suicide vests in just seven seconds during raid on jihadi bomb factory in Iraq'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... conds.html

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Never mind all this nasty politics.

Time for something touchy feely.

Guess which touchy feely Englishman is partnering with Chicago's most prominent more or less Protestant spiritual leader.

C'mon guess. 8)
Prince Harry reveals details of mental health TV series with Oprah Winfrey for Apple's new streaming service saying: 'If people can relate to the pain then it could save lives'

Daily Fail
  • Prince Harry has spoken of his excitement about new show with Oprah Winfrey
  • Said series will tell tales of 'human spirit fighting back from the darkest places'
  • Multi-part documentary show will air on Apple's new streaming service in 2020
  • In 2017, Harry revealed his own struggles with mental health over Diana's death
The Duke of Sussex has revealed details of his new mental health TV series with Oprah Winfrey as he claimed it could 'save lives' by helping viewers to open up.

Prince Harry said the multi-part documentary, set to air on Apple's new streaming service, will tell tales of the 'human spirit fighting back from the darkest places'.

The Queen of daytime TV and the prince have been working on the series, which will come out next year, for 'several months' during a number of 'secret meetings in London'.

It will focus on both mental illness and mental wellness, and aims to inspire viewers to have an honest conversation about the challenges they face.

Harry, 34, has become a global ambassador for mental health causes after speaking out about how he battled 'numerous breakdowns' while coming to terms with the death of his mother, Princess Diana.

:lmao:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:30 am

Brutal attack on Kevin Lunney ‘was organised and paid for’

A dozen-strong gang had prepared a horsebox as a mobile torture chamber before they carried out a two-hour attack on Kevin Lunney, the Quinn Industrial Holdings executive kidnapped and imprisoned on Tuesday night.

Some of the 50-year-old businessman’s fingernails were pulled out, his face and neck were slashed with a Stanley knife and his right leg was badly broken twice below the knee by a wooden post or a metal bar.

Meanwhile, the attackers, whom police believe have carried out attacks before, took care not to leave behind incriminating DNA evidence, pouring industrial-strength bleach over Mr Lunney’s wounds, causing excruciating pain.

Members of the gang, who have strong links with republican groups involved in extortion, abducted Mr Lunney from outside his home at Kinawley in Co Fermanagh at about 6.40pm and brought him to Co Cavan, crossing the Border at or near Swanlinbar.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.4024245

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Q.E.D. and pretty fucking grim.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm not quite clear on this story.

Is it the Provos or something like them, or more of an organized crime thing (as it might be the Mafia)?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:44 pm

I begin to think those Babble Times fucks are right: Skin all those Irish fucks to death and turn them into animal feed.

Except the redheaded women of course.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:46 pm

And speaking of NBLs, (what?)

What happened to our latest forum chew-toy? Did teh spiritz cause him to yawn himself to death?
Last edited by sparks on Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.